presidential-limo-breaks-down-ahead-of...

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
Wonder how many of my tax dollars are going to get spent to fix this foul up...

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Wonder how many of my tax dollars are going to get spent to fix this foul up...
Probably fewer than the toilet seats and hammers the Air Force bought in the 80's for many time their actual cost. :rolleyes:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
It sounds like they filled it up in Israel-doubt there's ethanol there;).Who filled it,I wonder? Maybe it was done on purpose......

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Except that these vehicles don't usually pull into the nearest station for a fill-up; they use government fuel points.

So if the Israeli station is correct, then the engine may be the 8.1L Vortec V-8
It might be different overseas, but in the US they (at least used to) pull into a regular gas station to fill up.

A number of years ago, during the Clinton presidency, I went out to lunch one day. I ran by the local Burger King which was right across the street (Mockingbird) from the main entrance to Dallas Love Field, then to the gas station across the street (Cedar Springs) for some gas before heading back to work.

I was the only one in the station and had just started filling up when four Dallas squad cars pulled up and blocked all but one entrance to the Mobil station. Right afterwards, three dull grey and dull blue Mercury Grand Marquis (with suspiciously beefy looking tires/suspensions) pulled in along with two or three black Suburbans. Then a strange looking Cadillac with running boards and grab handles all over the place pulled in, and then the Presidential Cadillac limo. The Cadillacs and the Suburbans had DC plates on them. The Mercurys took positions around the station, but not at the pumps which were left clear for the Suburbans, the follow up car, and the limo. It was like an invasion. :eek: And no, Clinton wasn't in the limo. He didn't arrive in Dallas until a couple of hours later.

I just set my pump at the lowest flow rate and watched the show around me (and I was being watched as well!). I was able to walk over and look at the limo but kept at least three feet away from it in doing so. I was being watched closely, but no one said anything.

I looked for about 5 minutes then went back to my truck, finished up, and got in to leave. I had to motion to one of the Dallas squad cars to let me out and after getting signals from the SS there, he moved enough to let me out of the station and I went back to work with a cold burger and a good story.

I don't know if they still do it this way or not, but it made for an interesting lunch hour. :cool:

Last edited:

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I'm surprised an ARMORED TRUCK in the shape of a limo would be gasoline driven. Weight alone requires a lot of torque. Plus, gasoline is too flammable to have in an armored vehicle.

I suspect it is the other way around, that they pumped gasoline into the diesel fuel tank.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I saw a little snippet on the news last night about it.. It was really vague.. They said it had a mechanical problem and wouldn't start.. Does anyone know for sure what happened or is everyone just guessing?

I can see that thing having a 6.5TD with a mechanichal pump.. They did the mechanichal 6.5's from 93-95 in the heavy duty vans, and in 93, the pickups had a mechanical pump and a turbo which is the only year as far as I know with a non-electronic 6.5TD.. With a top speed of 60mph it's entirely possible for it to have an older IDI.. The turbo engines were 180-190hp mostly (some marine engines were 310hp), and the non-turbo was 165-175hp..

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Is it Classified whether or not it has one of those "diesel fuel only" stickers on the filler door?
It may not be classified, but good luck getting close enough to get a picture!

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I saw a little snippet on the news last night about it.. It was really vague.. They said it had a mechanical problem and wouldn't start.. Does anyone know for sure what happened or is everyone just guessing?
I'm pretty sure the "official" statement was "misfueling". Some news outlets just assumed the car used gas because whoever heard of a diesel car? :rolleyes: and said diesel was used instead of gas. Others knew it was diesel powered and stated that gas was used instead of diesel. Since the Secret Service won't say officially whether it's gas or diesel, who knows for sure. I'm pretty sure it's diesel, however.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I can see that thing having a 6.5TD with a mechanichal pump.. They did the mechanichal 6.5's from 93-95 in the heavy duty vans, and in 93, the pickups had a mechanical pump and a turbo which is the only year as far as I know with a non-electronic 6.5TD.. With a top speed of 60mph it's entirely possible for it to have an older IDI.. The turbo engines were 180-190hp mostly (some marine engines were 310hp), and the non-turbo was 165-175hp..
Heh, I'm sure the answer is a NO on that engine. The Beast needs to accelerate faster than a 6.5TD could do with that much weight.

My $1 would be wagered on a custom-built Duramax with a few ECU tuning updates. When you're the President it's like military vehicles: you don't have to care about emissions. The Secret Service orders WHATEVER THEY WANT and they get it delivered without too many questions.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
When you're the President it's like military vehicles: you don't have to care about emissions.
Well, when we got new M151A2 Jeeps in the mid-70s, they came with the carburettor's adjustment port sealed as an "emissions requirement". We had a good laugh at the environmentalist wackos who were concerned about exhaust emissions on the battlefield! Needless to say, the seals were pried out when the carbs developed problems and needed adjustment.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Heh, I'm sure the answer is a NO on that engine. The Beast needs to accelerate faster than a 6.5TD could do with that much weight.

My $1 would be wagered on a custom-built Duramax with a few ECU tuning updates. When you're the President it's like military vehicles: you don't have to care about emissions. The Secret Service orders WHATEVER THEY WANT and they get it delivered without too many questions.

Well, 0-60 in 15 seconds and a top speed of 60 doesn't really sound like a modded Duramax..

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
my favorite part is that everyone is believing stuff they are finding online. if you think the government would put true information out about the president's transportation assets, you must be nuts. some might consider that a breech of security to the most powerful man in the free world. what's next? is everyone gonna believe the presidential national geographic specials regarding this stuff? just my two cents.