Trailer hitch on 2014/15 Beetles

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
How many have installed trailer hitches on your newest beetles?

Did dealer do it; etc.?

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
I did, piece of cake. Literally didn't even jack it up but would have been faster if I had. Curt 11260 $131.49 Delivered to my door from CarID. My plan is to not pull a trailer but to carry my 130 pound EU3000 honda generator.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Great. What I'd like is a trailer that would slip the tongue right into the hitch receiver, like those platforms that you probably got for your generator.

However, I'd like mine to be a bit bigger with rear wheels (tongue would have to have a swing joint in it). What I'd really like to do is to have it substitute for light loads that we now haul in my gas hog and no-fun-to-drive Tacoma.

I've seen them years ago with just one wheel in the back. Think I'd want one with 2 rotating rear wheels.

Can't find any websites or images of these. Wonder if they're even legal any more. They'd be a problem if whipped around much, as they'd swing out side to side.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I also put the Curt hitch on my beetle. I've been looking for a 1.5-2" lift ever since, because I scrape every time I go up my driveway.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The ones I have seen don't use the typical hitch. In fact some don't use a hitch at all, but rather just clamp directly to the bumper.

Here is a link with a few examples.

Now a motorcycle version will attach at a single point, but uses a specific hitch to keep the trailer upright (well, at least match the cycle).

Linky

Jason

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Thanks.

Just need a modern version of the single wheel or dual of that kind of rotating wheel.

Come to think of it, it'd be very difficult to get to the hitch receiver to jam the tongue in and then to get the locking pin in. 'Twould be easier if the attach points are outboard on the bumper, probably at the same points as where the hitches would attach.

79_Limited

TDI
2003 Jetta
I also installed air shocks on mine for about $100 from Etrailer. Makes all the difference with handling now!