www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old July 12th, 2018, 19:46   #16
truman
Veteran Member

MB World is littered with OM642 horror stories. There are more than a few long time MB owners who have sworn off the brand as a result. Stephens is not the lone naysayer.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 20:45   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

And this forum is also littered with horror stories. That's basically the nature of these forums.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 21:02   #18
truman
Veteran Member

MB World
Bluetec horror stories far outnumber gasser horror stories. Bluetec owners want to love their diesel but the reality leaves a bitter taste. The koolaid is not so good.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:03   #19
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Oilhammer may love the Sprinters but around here, they rust like nothing else. When I bought my van 4 years ago, Sprinters were excluded from consideration because of that.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:08   #20
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That guy is a well known whackadoodle.
I smelled the crazy the moment I opened the page...

I dislike articles/paragraphs etc. that are hard to comprehend and end with "Your engine will DIE UNLESS YOU BUY XX PRODUCT". There are so many people selling "Fixes" for stuff that isn't broken. The oil filter isn't broken. Just like hammer, I've seen and worked on more than a few 400k mile sprinters...so much for bad oil.

We sell a LOT of DPFs, and a LOT of heater kits. Those are certainly problems. Depending on your year, you might spend $1k-$3k on replacing the DPF.

I continue to maintain that the HIGHEST mileage engines are the ones that are DRIVEN and MAINTAINED correctly. No billet purple fancy oil line bypass filter micron auxiliary cooler heavy duty kits.

Last edited by cevans; July 13th, 2018 at 10:14.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:15   #21
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
They relocated the DEF tank on the later Sprinters, and I have not seen any issues with heaters on those versions. In fact, I have not seen ANY problem of ANY kind on the 4 cyl versions, which were sold here from 2014-2016. We service a fleet of them, and just landed another customer that has a bunch more of them.
The 4-cylinder models are really special - everything seems to be completely problem free. Workhorse of a motor, and, by the time we got it a very matured engine that had been in Europe for more than 10 years.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:20   #22
ApriliaNut
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Oilhammer is right, and it is a long winded rant. Don't you think it's odd that 99.9% of the info on the net slagging the bluetec Mercs comes from this one guy?

Methinks you exaggerate the percentage for effect...

Perhaps Mr. Stephens is just a "type A" when it comes to trying to help out his fellow man who has been given a raw deal by MBZ, after purchasing what factually looks like a terribly designed automobile in the major areas that matter most, and does little to help out the consumer as far as TSB's, service bulletins, and other corrective measures go. [Probably b/c they are such a small percentage of their total sales volume].
Ex SpoolinJim 06 one owner Jetta TDI w/Malone Stage 2. Love the suspension change to TDI Cup. Getting double the mileage of the C70 I sold. Happy Happy. Photo is of my Yamaha halo bike, a 94 GTS 1000 w/James Parker designed RADD front end. Can you say STABLE??

ApriliaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 12:56   #23
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApriliaNut View Post
Methinks you exaggerate the percentage for effect...
Perhaps Mr. Stephens is just a "type A" when it comes to trying to help out his fellow man who has been given a raw deal by MBZ, after purchasing what factually looks like a terribly designed automobile in the major areas that matter most, and does little to help out the consumer as far as TSB's, service bulletins, and other corrective measures go. [Probably b/c they are such a small percentage of their total sales volume].
Well, maybe he is Ghandi reincarnated . But, to me, his spiel comes across as more of a vendetta than a public service. Really can't blame the guy for preferring to wrench on the OM606 and older diesels though.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 13:41   #24
ApriliaNut
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Well, maybe he is Ghandi reincarnated . But, to me, his spiel comes across as more of a vendetta than a public service. Really can't blame the guy for preferring to wrench on the OM606 and older diesels though.

Your attempts at humor are, just that: attempts.
Ex SpoolinJim 06 one owner Jetta TDI w/Malone Stage 2. Love the suspension change to TDI Cup. Getting double the mileage of the C70 I sold. Happy Happy. Photo is of my Yamaha halo bike, a 94 GTS 1000 w/James Parker designed RADD front end. Can you say STABLE??

Old July 13th, 2018, 13:59   #25
ApriliaNut
Veteran Member

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson

Another article, this time about the Sprinter van unit, which components the subject of this article are the same for the sedan model I presume.

I'm sure someone will correct me if that is wrong.

Pretty eye opening.

Looks like my interest in a Mercedes diesel sedan will be relegated to the 2005-2006 model years, if at all.

Old July 16th, 2018, 03:43   #26
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Unfortunately, the intarwebs have a tendency to exaggerate the bad things, and skim right past the good (or, the "not bad"). And they often do not give good context as to the issue being discussed. You don't hear much about Toyota's GR engine problems, yet on any given day at the Lexus dealer where I worked (and one of my best buddies still works) there are several of those engines splayed out in pieces due to any number of major mechanical failures. If you walked into that shop, you'd swear off owning any modern Lexus too. We just had one in here that had a whole 17k miles on it that was in need of rings, it fit squarely into the TSB regarding the problem it was having. Yet I'll bet a lot of people would swear the IS250 is a "good" car.
Old Today, 14:40   #27
ApriliaNut
Veteran Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, the intarwebs have a tendency to exaggerate the bad things, and skim right past the good (or, the "not bad"). And they often do not give good context as to the issue being discussed. You don't hear much about Toyota's GR engine problems, yet on any given day at the Lexus dealer where I worked (and one of my best buddies still works) there are several of those engines splayed out in pieces due to any number of major mechanical failures. If you walked into that shop, you'd swear off owning any modern Lexus too. We just had one in here that had a whole 17k miles on it that was in need of rings, it fit squarely into the TSB regarding the problem it was having. Yet I'll bet a lot of people would swear the IS250 is a "good" car.

Good points all oilhammer. And yes the web does seem to hi light the negative.

I started this thread because, as a replacement for my 06 Jetta [no complaints at all here] I've been torn between the 335d and the larger MBZ blutec as both have gotten "affordable" [at least to me with what I'm willing to "take a chance on" purchase wise they being used] with the 335 a bit more so. And in my due diligence I found the article which I wanted feedback on.

Curiously, I have found very little negative wise, especially pertaining to the engine, on the 05-06 iterations of the E series diesel.