www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

View Poll Results: Yes or No
No 9 90.00%
Yes 1 10.00%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13th, 2018, 22:14   #16
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
It would seem that we have a bunch of cars kicking around and this would only add to the driveway clutter.
The goal is to replace the Honda. This has been our company truck for the last 4 years. We have a small business and the business owns the Honda. The Honda is getting tired as it has been well used. I can spend a bunch of money to fix it up however, the EV discussion has been on the table for over a year.
Our business would retire the Honda and get another vehicle to use in its place.
The other cars are our personal cars which we use for shopping and longer trips etc... The GTI is basically our son's car and the Mini is my wife's car.
I thought about the Beetle to use for work but I don't want to subject it to bumper to bumper driving in our city which has some of the worst drivers around. It is almost 20 years old and doesn't hold much of our tools or equipment. I guess if I put a trailer behind it but really only use it to pull our trailer and transport our kayaks. On paper (with our provincial insurance provider), the car is probably worth a couple of thousand, but we have a huge investment in it with all the work done, this why we want to limit the usage locally.
In Vancouver gas is $1.61/litre which works out to $6.12 CDN/per US gallon.
It is expected to go up to $2.00/litre. We get about 350 km per fill up with the Honda and that costs $80 right now. We are spending about $600/month on fuel and looking at that going up to $700/month. A Ford F150 or similar will run us about $50,000 and burn even more fuel. We don't seem to have any compact work vans of interest in our car automobile market. No small diesels available either. We could get a 2015 Fixed TDI for more than what they cost new but they are very limited.
That is why I asked for opinions to see what comes back about EV cars.
Hope this makes more sense.
I only raised the question because without the back story people wouldn't understand why you'd want a 5th car (especially an EV)

Now that i've read this last post from you it makes more sense why you want/need a new vehicle... Personally, if I need a work vehicle, I wouldn't be buying an EV... when I think work vehicle, I think of a truck or something like a transit connect, which by the way, you will soon be able to get with a 1.5 diesel. I know with EV's you'll be able to get some rebate money back (I think BC has the program, I know here in Ontario the program was just scraped) but regardless, from a strictly work vehicle perspective, I'm buying some sort of cargo van. Again, this depends on what type of work you're using the vehicle for
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 07:34   #17
PB_NB
Veteran Member

2.2, A small van would be nice like the NV200 or Transit as it wold fit in low clearance areas. Our work is very different from day to day and usually I can do most of work work with 4 small tools bags which is why the Honda has worked for years. When we do get really heavy stuff, it gets shipped from Toronto to the job sites and craned to the roof so I don't really need the cargo space.

Alternative fuel options would be great but so far we just has gas options for these little vans.

Too bad about the EV rebate in Ontario going away. I hope it sticks around in BC to help promote this direction.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 08:40   #18
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
2.2, A small van would be nice like the NV200 or Transit as it wold fit in low clearance areas. Our work is very different from day to day and usually I can do most of work work with 4 small tools bags which is why the Honda has worked for years. When we do get really heavy stuff, it gets shipped from Toronto to the job sites and craned to the roof so I don't really need the cargo space.

Alternative fuel options would be great but so far we just has gas options for these little vans.

Too bad about the EV rebate in Ontario going away. I hope it sticks around in BC to help promote this direction.
Yea it's a shame they haven't come in a diesel variant yet... Well at the end of the day if you think an EV makes the most sense for your work car situation then go for it
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 09:22   #19
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

I voted no because there are better value options than a brand new e-Golf even though it sounds like a short range EV is perfect for your regular driving. There are lots of used EVs on the market that will suit your needs for less than half of the price of the new e-Golf. If the purchase cost isn't a concern, I think a gently used Bolt EV would be the better buy, as one can be had for about the same price as a new e-Golf.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 17:02   #20
PB_NB
Veteran Member

VeeDub, we are short supply of Bolts, no used ones are available that i can find. Seems that no one has this car (new or used) to test or even buy. There are lots of used i3's, Volts, IMEIs and Leafs around (some with very low mileage). An i3 with a range extender would give us the range plus the gas backup just in case.

We still have to look at the 2018 Leaf as it looks like they changed the look of it.

Maybe we are too soon to jump into the battery market! Lots of interesting concept cars coming.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 22:55   #21
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Re battery degradation: Neither the Leaf nor the e-Golf have temperature regulation of their batteries. As I understand it, hot climates (e.g. Arizona) are associated with battery-pack degradation on the first-generation Leaf. No idea if the e-Golf has the same issue (I suspect that not enough have been sold to establish if there are any pattern faults). No idea if it's been fixed on the new Leaf - too new - but it also still doesn't have thermal regulation of its batteries.

Given that Vancouver BC's climate is as temperate as they get, I don't think you need to concern yourself with this.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 03:30   #22
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Unless you're doing fast charging, then the temperature issue becomes a problem everywhere. And AFAIK, they do still degrade surprisingly fast (at least the LEAFs) in temperate climates, it's just they don't degrade within the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 07:47   #23
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I've heard that the battery in the gen2 Leaf degrades even worse/faster than the gen1. It may have less of a buffer in addition to no thermal management. Supposedly the gen3 will have thermal management. It's unfortunate that a couple of poorly executed EV's are tarnishing the public's perception of battery lifespan/degradation.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 10:40   #24
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

"Gen 2" i.e. the just-released (2018) model? It's too soon ... how would anyone know?
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 10:44   #25
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I think it's merely extrapolated - the 30 kWh Gen 1 LEAF has horrific degradation compared to the 24 kWh Gen 1 LEAF (which was already horrific itself), and the 40 kWh Gen 2 LEAF is using the same battery technology as the 30 kWh Gen 1, just more of it, and is having more thermal issues than the 30 kWh Gen 1 had (with things like DC fast charging).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 14:40   #26
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's just based on early reports from gen2 Leaf owners. Time will tell. The larger battery probably has greater thermal mass and lower surface area to volume ratio- so removing excess heat is more of a challenge.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 11:27   #27
Owain@malonetuning

Definitely lease given how fast the technology is changing. Imagine buying a laptop a decade ago when they were first becoming mainstream with basic lithium cells.

This e-golf would be alright for a daily though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oklP...hannel=DPCcars

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is online now   Reply With Quote