www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 28th, 2018, 11:56   #3226
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

You don't need brakes until over 3000 pounds. I would feel comfortable up to that without much issue. But - depends on where you are driving too. Pulling up or going down a long mountain pass with high wind conditions may change a persons mind quickly.
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2018, 14:56   #3227
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post
You don't need brakes until over 3000 pounds. I would feel comfortable up to that without much issue. But - depends on where you are driving too. Pulling up or going down a long mountain pass with high wind conditions may change a persons mind quickly.
Depends on your state, too. Some require trailer brake at 1500 or 2000lbs. But then I wouldn't tow that much weight with such a small car without adding brakes.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2018, 15:22   #3228
jason_
Veteran Member

In my opinion Brakes should be required on anything behind the vehicle that exceeds the manufacturers capacity of what can be carried inside the vehicle.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2018, 20:45   #3229
casioqv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
Extended the tongue on my trailer this weekend.

Nice, I have a tongue about that long on my sailboat trailer to get it deep enough for launching, but it also makes towing with my '01 Golf really nice. The tongue weight is so low I can easily move the trailer without a jack, and it doesn't sag the stock rear springs... yet no sway coming down steep grades.
Old July 9th, 2018, 08:30   #3230
ThatGTI

TDI(s): MK6 GTI

I went and towed my dad's boat around the block yesterday just to see what it was like and to get some pictures. I never went over 25MPH and didn't go far. Even though it was a short trip I still got many stares haha. Pulling it didn't seem too much worse than the 2,000lb pop-up I normally tow. Only thing was the trailer didn't have brakes, so stopping a 3,000lb car and 3,500lb boat and trailer was pretty sketchy.

Last edited by ThatGTI; July 10th, 2018 at 07:23.
ThatGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 18:21   #3231
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

ThatGTI - your picture does not show up...
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:26   #3232
ThatGTI

TDI(s): MK6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
ThatGTI - your picture does not show up...
Thanks. My bad. I always forget how to have Google Photos host the image and properly share it.
ThatGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:31   #3233
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Depends on your state, too. Some require trailer brake at 1500 or 2000lbs. But then I wouldn't tow that much weight with such a small car without adding brakes.
Jason
Here's a good reference regarding trailer brake requirements.. it varies greatly from state to state.. Seems a few states require brakes if the total trailer weight is over 40% of the tow vehicle's weight regardless of anything else

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:54   #3234
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Two states required new trailers have brakes 1500lbs or more. Most states seem to agree on 3000lbs or 40% of towing vehicle weight.

I wish there was federal (DOT) standard so this wouldn't be so confusing.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote