Passat Threw another 16683 fault code.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Well my 2005 Passat with now 5,400 miles on it has thrown another Boost Pressure Regulation code:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 016 R
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 6416
Coding: 0150034
Shop #: WSC 00028
1 Fault Found:
16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached
P0299 - 000 - -
Readiness: N/A
-----------------------------------------------------------

I think I have noticed a pattern. Hot day (80 or above), car is cold (at least 5 hours or overnight), I start it and go a short distance (less than 1/2 mile), I wait at idle for 2 or minutes (the slow lights during traffic) and then take off.

The car loses power and goes into "safe mode."

This time I pulled over and restarted the car and it was fine afterwards. No issues after that.

Has anyone else experienced this.

Does this indicate a specific sensor failure (MAF)? EGR system problem? Air filter issue?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Didn't notice.

Since I keep my VAG-Com in the trunk and my laptop is usually with me, I just pull the code from the ecu to the computer. I don't reset it. But I don't remember any check engine light.

emka

TDI
2005 Passat variant black
I was getting this code all the time on my 05 Passat wgn. I replaced the vacuum hose from turbo actuator to n75 valve with silicone hose and have not had the 16683 code for 2 months.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Mine just threw this very same code this morning. Cold start then a long uphill freeway onramp. At the top of the onramp, the car went into limp mode. Felt like a dead maf, but I had a feeling it was boost related. No cel, 16683 boost regulation, control range not reached. A quick restart made things right again. So, is the answer replacing that hose to the N75?

festivus

Veteran Member
This happened on my 2004 early on maybe 3-4 times. I did not have a Vag-Com at the time, but I recall that there was no CEL. In any case, I took it in to the dealer, and they replaced a component on the turbo, if I recall correctly. It still happened at least two more times after that, but it has not re-surfaced since, and I am almost at 20,000 miles. If anyone would like a detailed description of the work done, just ask through the forum and I will dig through my paperwork. Keep in mind, however, that it continued to occur, albeit only twice, AFTER it came back from the dealer.