EOC Doesn't Tick Mileage Off?

dang28

TDI
2001 Golf
I just bought my first TDI last Thursday. I just got it legal and Ive been driving it the last 2 days. On my way into work this morning I coasted with the engine off for the last 1/2 mile or so on the side street heading into my work parking lot. I still had the key on so all the power was still on, but I noticed that the odometer wasn't ticking as I was coasting. Is it like that with all TDIs? And no, I wont be EOC much at all, if any. Just something I noticed this morning.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Dang, what did you do - turn the key Off to kill the engine, then key back to On to activate the speedo/odo?

These cars burn 0.10 gallons per hour. You were coasting 0.5 miles. Let's say your avg speed was 15mph (decel from 30 to 0), which means you were coasting for 2 minutes.

Congratulations, you saved 0.43 ounces of fuel, by turning the engine off instead of coasting at idle rpms. If you do this every M-F, going to and from work, and piggybank the money you saved on fuel, you'll be a millionaire in 144,000 years.

dang28

TDI
2001 Golf
Dang, what did you do - turn the key Off to kill the engine, then key back to On to activate the speedo/odo?

These cars burn 0.10 gallons per hour. You were coasting 0.5 miles. Let's say your avg speed was 15mph (decel from 30 to 0), which means you were coasting for 2 minutes.

Congratulations, you saved 0.43 ounces of fuel, by turning the engine off instead of coasting at idle rpms. If you do this every M-F, going to and from work, and piggybank the money you saved on fuel, you'll be a millionaire in 144,000 years.
Like I said, Im not going to do that often. I just noticed it while I coasted into work and thought Id ask.

Oh, and I got 59.6 mpg my first tank so I must be doing something right.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I have been EOCing my gas cars for years.

I think it makes sense with older non-turbo gassers.

I am new to the TDI game, but I doubt I will be EOCing my '11 JSW 6MT for a few reasons.

Number 1, turning off a hot turbo, gas or diesel, is not a good idea.

2. I am afraid that short cycling the engine may wreak havoc with the emissions system

3. As has been said earlier, diesels are amazingly efficient at idle. You really aren't gaining much.

The only way I could see myself doing it would be driving in areas where 5 or 10 mile coasts might be possible. Only place I have ever seen that was out west. And if I did do it I would still let it idle in neutral for a minute or so to cool the turbo.

Would like to hear opinions on this topic from experienced TDIers.