Windshield Washer fluid into DEF tank

Nyalogep

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
So I just bought this 2015 VW Golf TDI on eBay, and at first fueling I saw the other filler cap saying "AdBlue". OK, I thought it must be for the hatchback windshield washer fluid, blue! In a hurry I grabbed a gallon of all season windshield washer fluid and poured into the "AdBlue" opening, although half of it spilled all over...Next time I get a funnel - was in my mind!
Then finally I got to read the owner's manual and found out what the "AdBlue" meant! Then I read the thread about somebody putting antifreeze into same tank and car got immobilized! Damn!
I panicked, went under the car and disconnected the 1" rubber hose where it enters the DEF tank and showed in a 1/2" thick clear flexible tubing and sucked on it to drain (siphon) all the fluid out. Then refilled the DEF tank with appropriate fluid, and drained again, then refilled for last. No problem with car. The windshield washer fluid is 20 - 24% methanol and the rest is water, it did not trigger any fault codes, at least not until now. I will update this tread if something else comes up.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I would think you would be fine, especially since you did not run it. Exposure of the sensor to the wiper fluid was so brief that that likely had no chance to become an issue either. If the car didn't see DEF that it liked, the error (and countdown) would pretty much be instant . . .

Last edited: