Brake Pad Wear Sensor

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Car: 2k0 Jetta TDI
Problem: How or what is the best way to by-pass or "kill" the "worn brake pads" light on the dash?
New pads are installed and both front rotors are is very good condition. The replacement pads did not have the forementioned sensor. The brakes work just fine. The only problem is that the "Worn Pads Light" is on.

Does anyone have an idea to "kill" this light?
TIA
Herm

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Break Pad Wear Sensor

Use your VAG-COM to change the coding of the instrument cluster. Subtract 1 from the left 2 digits of the code.

Fast_SilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
Break Pad Wear Sensor

I believe you just short the two leads together. All that's in the pad probably is a wire that gets broken, breaks the signal and then sets the light. If you do that, I would suggest first using a resistor like 1k and see if it works. Or, with you old pad, measure the resistance and get the resistor that matches. I think though it would just be a straight through connection that just needs to be shorted. If that's the case, keep the old wire from the old pad so that you can keep the connector sealed and watertight like it was so that if you ever have to put on the right ones again it will be in good condition.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Break Pad Wear Sensor

Use your VAG-COM to change the coding of the instrument cluster. Subtract 1 from the left 2 digits of the code.
MOGolf
Could you give me some calirity on how to do this?
A step-by-step would be most helpfull.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Break Pad Wear Sensor

Select 17-Instruments
Select Recoding-07
Change the left 2 digits of the "software coding" to be 1 less. e.g 07XXX becomes 06XXX where XXX=some other 3 digits.
Click Do It!

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
If you still have the old brake pads from the brake job, snip the electrical connector and some wire off the pad, and then connect the 2 wire lead together, then attach to the connector that is now dangling near you front strut. Secure under there somehow (electrical tape, zip-tie, whatever) so it doesn't flop around and come loose. Done