Question on BRM air filter soot

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Hi Folks,

I was doing some routine maintenance yesterday...oil change, and all new filters, and I found my air filter had some soot on it. This air filter was new in mid-July and 16,500 kms ago (or 10k miles). I remember the previous filter might have been a little grey, but it wasn't black like this one.

Is this telling me that the butterfly valve shaft/bushing is leaking externally on my EGR cooler? And yes the little hot-air flapper valve in my airbox is stuck open.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your EGR cooler is leaking. And when the engine is cold, the thermo valve on the air box that pulls warm air off the stove pipe on the exhaust is also letting the engine pull exhaust into the air cleaner. Sort of like the low pressure EGR on the CR engines! :)

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Your EGR cooler is leaking. And when the engine is cold, the thermo valve on the air box that pulls warm air off the stove pipe on the exhaust is also letting the engine pull exhaust into the air cleaner. Sort of like the low pressure EGR on the CR engines! :)
Thanks for the quick reply Oilhammer. I figured as much, but wanted confirmation without having to remove the pan and get under the car again.

The little valve in my airbox was open when I changed the filter yesterday.

Anything else besides new bolts and gaskets I should have on hand for an EGR cooler change?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Coolant, lots of time and patience, and I would probably replace the heater hose assembly. There is a choice of two, depending on the size of the crossover pipe. Dealer can usually look it up by VIN.

EGR cooler is a fiddly job on the BRM. I take the subframe out but that is not necessary. Just makes it easier. I always take the right axle loose too. I usually do NOT take the catalyst down, but the one little bolt requires a stubby 5mm 1/4 drive Allen bit to get out.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
That's awesome, thanks for the info. I will probably get the VW shop to do this one for me, but I like to gather up all of the parts in advance.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
1. Your "warm intake air" valve is stuck open. This is common. I doubt those even ever worked properly. Unscrew that valve, take a nut (M14 or similar size, don't remember exactly), jam it between the valve to keep it closed.
2. Your EGR cooler is leaking at the shaft. No need to replace the entire cooler - a replacement bushing can be machined from copper, brass or similar material, if you have access. Let me know if you need a schematic drawing with the measuremenets for this. Removing the EGR cooler itself is a royal PITA though.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
1. Your "warm intake air" valve is stuck open. This is common. I doubt those even ever worked properly. Unscrew that valve, take a nut (M14 or similar size, don't remember exactly), jam it between the valve to keep it closed.
2. Your EGR cooler is leaking at the shaft. No need to replace the entire cooler - a replacement bushing can be machined from copper, brass or similar material, if you have access. Let me know if you need a schematic drawing with the measurements for this. Removing the EGR cooler itself is a royal PITA though.
Yes sir, I'm going to jam the warm air valve closed asap. It doesn't appear to be available by itself, and I'm not replacing the airbox, so the valve will get closed one way or another;).

As for the copper/bronze bushing, I did save all of the measurements from a thread on here on time, but I'll likely just have the whole unit replaced. I checked with the local VW indy shop today, and the labor is not bad. I don't mind doing stuff that's easier to access...I did the BRM cam/lifters, and timing belt myself, but knowing this job is a royal PITA, I don't feel like laying on the floor all day long doing it.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Yes sir, I'm going to jam the warm air valve closed asap. It doesn't appear to be available by itself, and I'm not replacing the airbox, so the valve will get closed one way or another;).
As for the copper/bronze bushing, I did save all of the measurements from a thread on here on time, but I'll likely just have the whole unit replaced. I checked with the local VW indy shop today, and the labor is not bad. I don't mind doing stuff that's easier to access...I did the BRM cam/lifters, and timing belt myself, but knowing this job is a royal PITA, I don't feel like laying on the floor all day long doing it.
Once the air valve is closed, then I think that part of air filter housing becomes useless. Further upgrade is to dremel out the "wall" which separates those two sections to make entire air filter surface usable.

From your words it seems you don't have a proper lift. EGR cooler removal is not something what can be easily done "laying on the ground" with the car jacked up. You really need convenient access from the bottom.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
From your words it seems you don't have a proper lift. EGR cooler removal is not something what can be easily done "laying on the ground" with the car jacked up. You really need convenient access from the bottom.
No sir, I sure don't have a lift. I have ramps, jacks, and stands...that's it. I don't mind getting under there for little and/or easy jobs, like oil changes, etc. I just installed a Frostheater yesterday...but I barely had to get under the front for that. When I was younger and had more enthusiasm I would tackle it, but these days I'm just sticking mostly with "topside" jobs;).

I'm lucky enough to have an independent VW shop in the area for the jobs I can't do.