A few electrical issues

BaconMan

TDI
2004 1.9 TDI
Hi all, first post here, so thanks for what seems to be a great resource and community.

My Girlfriend has a 2004 Golf MkV 19TDI (if you need more info than that, let me know) that has a few issues. She's looking to get a new car and trying to find any excuse to do so, but we really can't afford it and wouldn't want to at least try to sort the issues before committing.

I've purchased a cheap VAG-COM/VCDS USB/ODB2 scanner which should be here in a few days and have sourced a copy of the RossTech VCDS to try and work out a few issues myself.

I'm trying to do my due diligence and read up on the wiki/watching videos etc., but are there any major things I should be aware of with regard to using the software/reader that might endanger the car?

Ideally I'm just looking to diagnose faults so I can have a try at fixing it myself. Hopefully its just a few relays/fuses etc.

A few of the faults are as below. Maybe someone with some experience might be able to point me to something obvious as they may be connected and give me a heads up.

Fans/blowers not working on any setting - The A/C seems to work still as we get some cold air through when we get above 50-60mph, which I presume is being forced through by the velocity.

Front wiper jets not working, when the previously had been. The jets were replaced <1 year ago and were in good working order. I can't hear a pump going and the washer fluid is freshly topped up. The wipers appear to work fine otherwise

Rear wiper not working. Again, this seems to have coincided with the previous problems occurring. The rear washer jet doesn't work either, but that has been the case for a while and I think it needs replacing.

If anyone has any advice before I get started, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Is this the internal heater fan on the inside of the car?

For the washer jets, best to find a 12v test lamp and check to see if the washer pump connector is getting voltage and ground when the sprayer switch is activated by pressing the stalk.. the connector is tight to get at. it's in the pump located in the washer reservoir on the driver's (in the UK) side front of the car. remove the connector and probe the pins while pressing the switch to see if you have power and ground. If so, then the pump is defective.

for the rear wiper, it is common at this age that they sieze up, but best to check fuses first to be sure. I get my replacements at the breakers yard.

BaconMan

TDI
2004 1.9 TDI
Hi all,

Just an update to this as I totally forgot about posting here until last night, when everything just suddenly worked. Fans (the interior fans for A/C etc.) all started up, my rear wiper worked and my washer jets all fired nicely.

And then came to my journey to work today, I was enjoying the cool fans, and nice clean windscreen and suddenly they all stopped working again mid commute. No fans, washers or rear wiper.

Got to be a dodgy relay or a loose connection or something?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
On the US cars there are several grounds underneath the battery tray that can become dirty over time and create problems. Also check the fuses on top of the battery.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I just dealt with this for weeks. The answer to your problem is likely a failing relay. Relay 460 to be precise. A detailed fix process can be found by googling ( I don't know how to link you to it here...) " Blower motor in 2006 jetta stopped working". See post 11.

Exact same issues- you may have to find a wiring diagram for your Exact location. I had a new relay in place in less than 20 minutes and ta-dah. Blowing air, rear wiper and front washers!

BaconMan

TDI
2004 1.9 TDI
I just dealt with this for weeks. The answer to your problem is likely a failing relay. Relay 460 to be precise. A detailed fix process can be found by googling ( I don't know how to link you to it here...) " Blower motor in 2006 jetta stopped working". See post 11.

Exact same issues- you may have to find a wiring diagram for your Exact location. I had a new relay in place in less than 20 minutes and ta-dah. Blowing air, rear wiper and front washers!
Bang on! Exactly the problem! All replaced and everything's operational :)

For anyone finding this thread in the future, to replace the Relay (460 / 1K0951253A) on a Golf ('04 Mk5 1.9 TDi), it's behind the little pull-out cubby hole by the driver's knee. On my RHD Car, the relay that needed replacing was the furthest right, which is annoyingly tight to get to. Pull out the cubby hole and attack the surrounding trim with a few Torx bits (Size 15 & 20) to loosen/remove it. If you've got fat hands like me, you may need to borrow someone elses to make it a bit easier!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Hi all, first post here, so thanks for what seems to be a great resource and community.

My Girlfriend has a 2004 Golf MkV 19TDI (if you need more info than that, let me know)
Thanks.
I can't help with that. Wimmans don't come with an instruction manual and anything you figure out will probably be wrong anyway.:D

For the windshield sprayers a common problem is that where the fluid hose that goes between the fender and hood will wear through and leak causing the sprayers to not get fluid.

If you can hear the pump there is no need to troubleshoot it for power. Also less known is that if the hood is open, the washer pump and wipers will not run.

Last edited: