Transmission work needed near NW Indiana

dieselnewbie

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Can anyone recommend a good shop for doing work on my O2M 6 speed transmission near northwest Indiana? I think that the shift fork needs to be replaced (won't physically shift into first) and the 3rd gear synchro is shot. I've tried several shops in the area and no one is willing to work on it... Your input is appreciated!

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Matt Whitbread is up in Gaylord now.. probably too far for you to drive. Looks like he's installed your 02M for you. I would reach out to him, if the distance isn't too far. It's well worth the trip but I know he's pretty busy.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Marty in Fowlerville, MI is a bit closer than Matt. Don't know if he would want to go inside a transmission though. He's busy too like Matt.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Marty in Fowlerville, MI is a bit closer than Matt. Don't know if he would want to go inside a transmission though. He's busy too like Matt.
I thought he was retiring... Or maybe that was just from hosting the GTG's in his area.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I thought he was retiring... Or maybe that was just from hosting the GTG's in his area.
When I saw him last fall (2016) at Kirk's GTG he said he was still busy working on TDI's. He hosted Michigan GTG's for a decade and that is what he stopped doing but AFAIK he is still wrenching away on TDI's for customers. I hope to see Marty at Kirk's GTG this October - he hasn't missed one yet!