Gen 1 TDI fix receives EPA approval

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Does anyone here think I'll be denied the fix because I have the CP3 pump? I think it should be okay, but of course I want that to be true. For VW it's better to say sorry Charlie!

I'd bet that depends on the dealer. My gut says no, it isn't an emissions modification, as mentioned in the recall paperwork I got.

Ghostrider

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
I received the mailing yesterday. Once the fix is done it sounds like the new warranty covers the engine, fuel pump, and exhaust system.

I'm waiting on reports about the fix, especially pertaining to gen1 with 6MT.

From reading the description of the fix does anyone else think it sounds like regen cycles will be more frequent? Could this be connected to the 2 mpg decrease?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Yes, maybe those short NOx regens will be a bit longer with the larger catalyst. The short ones don't bother me. It's the long DPF ones that bug me when they start as I'm pulling into my driveway after a long commute.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'd bet that depends on the dealer. My gut says no, it isn't an emissions modification, as mentioned in the recall paperwork I got.

I'm hoping that's true. I'd like to get the $5100! I love my little car! I'll love it even more if I get $5100!

Ghostrider

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
^^^ Seconded!

I was leaning toward keeping mine anyway but the $$ will be welcome. It will buy a new CP3 and Malone tune after the new extended warranty runs out with money left over.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
the only downside to waiting is if your car has a failure while waiting which would be covered by the post-fix warranty.

also the payment of your incentive will wait until after the fix is applied.
If I'm not mistaken, the payout is also partially based on your mileage, so the longer you wait, the more miles would go on it... I don't know how that's calculated though.

My JSW is at the dealer now, getting the emissions fix. I'm excited to have this out of the way. Been a long time coming, and sounds like the fix doesn't have much of a negative effect.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yes, payout has a mileage calculation but it has a total bottom limit of $5100 (IIRC). I think I have to let my car sit for the next five or six months to get above that minimum payout.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, cool to know. I think my payout is only like $5100 or $5200...something like that.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Does anyone here think I'll be denied the fix because I have the CP3 pump? I think it should be okay, but of course I want that to be true. For VW it's better to say sorry Charlie!
You might be able to sneak it by them. I wouldn't count on it though.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I should be able to provide a comparison of NOX cat regenerations before/after the fix by the end of next week.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Just a quick update - I have done about 300 miles since the fix and can say with my car that I seem to be getting better (not worse) fuel consumption (if the dash gauge is right then almost 3 mpg more but im starting a new fuelly account with mileage after the fix just to make sure) and the car is definitely more peppy.
I'm sure that mine is probably an aberration but maybe the new sensors and the bigger cat are having an effect, maybe my driving style has changed with the changed engine performance - I dont know why but I'm certainly a very happy chappie!
cheers
Barri

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Yes, payout has a mileage calculation but it has a total bottom limit of $5100 (IIRC). I think I have to let my car sit for the next five or six months to get above that minimum payout.

That number is correct and the paperwork says you can drive around 1000 miles a month on top of the miles the car had in September of 2015 with no mileage penalty. So if back then if it had 50,000 on it you could bring it in next month with 74,000 with no penalty

Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a quick update - I have done about 300 miles since the fix and can say with my car that I seem to be getting better (not worse) fuel consumption (if the dash gauge is right then almost 3 mpg more but im starting a new fuelly account with mileage after the fix just to make sure) and the car is definitely more peppy.
I'm sure that mine is probably an aberration but maybe the new sensors and the bigger cat are having an effect, maybe my driving style has changed with the changed engine performance - I dont know why but I'm certainly a very happy chappie!
cheers
Barri

I am totally theorizing here but it could be the agreement for the Gen I cars to run above the NOx threshold may have actually given them MORE tuning latitude; after all VW's risk is more on the owner side so if they could modify the car and improve some aspects with more NOx latitude then that is better for them

One thing that rarely got reported was the "40 times the legal limit" was at wide open throttle, it could be VW has more flex on the tuning under the agreement

Keep us posted I am waiting for the dealers to have more experience fixing the cars and for the waiting to not be as long so thanks for providing your info as an early adopter

Analogeezer

vdubmom2b

TDI
2013 Jetta Wagon
fix done finally done at dealer on 8/18/no loaner was available car actually is now more peppy.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That number is correct and the paperwork says you can drive around 1000 miles a month on top of the miles the car had in September of 2015 with no mileage penalty. So if back then if it had 50,000 on it you could bring it in next month with 74,000 with no penalty

Analogeezer
I'm at about 116K miles. No incentive to letting it sit.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Just a heads up.

if you have had any P0401 errors, It seems that VW is pushing to have the DPF changed out before the fix is applied.

These errors are saved even if the check engine (MIL) light has gone out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I heard today that VW does look for saved codes, but not for readiness. So if you suspect a fault code and have VCDS I believe you can clear saved codes so VW won't see them. Do it in the parking lot just before giving them the car so the codes can't reappear.

tildejim

TDI
2012 SportWagen
Additional impressions?

Would appreciate additional data points on Gen 1 owners who had the emission fix. Is the mentioned increase in engine noise significant? How many owners were faced with required repairs before VW complete the emission fix? Is it possible to get an estimate of the required repairs before committing to the emission fix?

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Had mine done last week. Immediately drove to California (1500 miles into my trip now) and haven't noticed any difference at all. No more noise, power seems the same. Can't comment on fuel economy since I've been pulling a camper on this trip (24mpg).

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I remember the epic thread that was averaging a post every few minutes for weeks and months....

The experts (you know who you are) were stating they will never come up with a fix. WRONG...

The experts, if there is a fix it would require urea injection.... WRONG

We knew they could fix it early on, because it had already been done by CR. They disabled or bypassed the triggers that sent the car into "no test mode" or "cheat mode" to keep it in "test" or "dyno" mode..... which passed EPA standards. The performance and MPG was documented. It lost a few MPG's and 1/2 second on the 0-60 mph times I recall. The EPA cert and issues of reliability took about 2 years, and you get extended warranty...... Still driving Heidi (2010 JSW with 40K on 2013 engine...). My plan to keep it for another 3-8 years is happening with an extra $5K in my pocket..... :D

Last edited:

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
2009 cars get a new DPF and CAT. '10-14 cars get a new, different DPF, both get an ECU re-flash. DSG cars get a transmission re-flash as well. A colleague had his '10 fixed today and it also got an updated airbox bypass flap (?). He says his car feels peppier (it's a manual), and is noticeably louder, as VW claims.
Got the airbox bypass recall letter Friday; says it relates to potential for sticking in wrong position and increasing intake temp. Probably not part of the bigger emissions recall, but rather faulty equipment.

Also got the Takata recall letter last week. Think I'll wait a week and see if one shows up on the front console lid that won't latch anymore....

ticketed2much

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I remember the epic thread that was averaging a post every few minutes for weeks and months....

The experts (you know who you are) were stating they will never come up with a fix. WRONG...

We knew they could fix it early on, because it had already been done by CR. They disabled or bypassed the triggers that sent the car into "no test mode" or "cheat mode" to keep it in "test" or "dyno" mode..... which passed EPA standards. The performance and MPG was documented. It lost a few MPG's and 1/2 second on the 0-60 mph times I recall. The EPA cert and issues of reliability took about 2 years, and you get extended warranty...... Still driving Heidi (2010 JSW with 40K on 2013 engine...). My plan to keep it for another 3-8 years is happening with an extra $5K in my pocket..... :D
For the record I was not someone who said there won't be a fix but, there is still no fix that brings it to the emission standards it was originally supposed to meet. The EPA basically did VW a solid and lowered the standards so these cars could stay on the road. So technically there is still no fix to bring it back to OEM emission standards, just a fix so they can stay on the road.

Personally I don't care and plan to get the "fix" and drive it as long as it is practical.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the airbox bypass recall letter Friday; says it relates to potential for sticking in wrong position and increasing intake temp. Probably not part of the bigger emissions recall, but rather faulty equipment.

Also got the Takata recall letter last week. Think I'll wait a week and see if one shows up on the front console lid that won't latch anymore....
Are you talking about the sunglasses holder? I just pressed the teeth out a little for make it catch and stay closed and then never used it again.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Are you talking about the sunglasses holder? I just pressed the teeth out a little for make it catch and stay closed and then never used it again.
Not that one. This is under the radio/screen etc., the lid in the console ahead of the shift lever. It covers up the 12V port and a small bin. I'll have to shine a bright light in there, but I can't feel the catch that was there before.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
just a quick update. I have now done 1000 miles monitoring my fuel usage and I was wrong - I have lost about 1.2mpg! Other than that I am still happy with the fix and the car does still feel more peppy.
Also as a quick add - it took 10 days to get the claim status moved to complete so I'm now waiting for my EFT email from the bank.
cheers
Barri

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI

You left out a really key point, that is the fact the agreement lets the Gen I cars run well above the NOx threshold.

Those of us who said they could not come up with a fix or it would require DEF injection were right.

They could not come up with a fix to meet the newer standard so EPA and CARB are letting the cars run above the standard.

Funny thing is this bit does not get mentioned in the news stories; the people who want to crucify VW would flip out if they realized the rules got bent to allow VW to fix the cars

Technically they are still out of compliance with the new NOx standards

Did you actually READ the booklet they sent you?

Analogeezer

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not that one. This is under the radio/screen etc., the lid in the console ahead of the shift lever. It covers up the 12V port and a small bin. I'll have to shine a bright light in there, but I can't feel the catch that was there before.
I forgot there was even a door there. Almost always have something plugged in.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Gen 1 cars are permitted to run above the threshold? Wow.... That goes to the suckers who turned their Gen 1 cars in thinking it would be a major hit in MPG and requiring DEF tank which didnt come out true... they should have waited.... what a waste! I saw a ton of Gen 1 cars at Orlando airport... what a shame. I am sure by now they felt suckered. I am glad I kept her.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't feel suckered at all turning in the wife's 11 Golf. It paid for some of the daughter's school loans, reduced the cars in our household, and reduced insurance. Not bad for a car that gave me around 60K miles and cost me less than $3000 total for five and a half years.

I would have been a sucker to have turned down the $21K check from VWAG, but everyone's situation is different.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hmm, that benefited you really well. The reason why I said that because there are NO TDI being sold besides Chevy Cruze and I wouldn't waste a second of my life to look at Cruze, they are FUGLY and I hate Chevy, no offense to anyone here if they love Chevy. Plus TDI would run at least 400k-600k or more if taken care of. plus better MPG with CP3 and malone 2.0 tune PLUS my job provides mileage reimbursement, .545 cent per mile, I average rack 40k miles a year (roughly) and has been working for this company for 11 years..... that's why I am keeping her as long as possible until there are a better TDI replacement or I will rebuild her and put her back to the road.