Airbag controller

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
HELP!!!! ARG! I'm ready to purchase a 2001 golf TDI but have determined that the air bag controller is the one that has a conflict with the VAG-COM software.
1 - does anyone know what a replacement controller (that removes the conflict) costs?

2 - Anyone lived with this conflict (I imagine if the airbag fault light is on the car would not pass inspection)

DOH!!

3 - should I abandon this prospect which is excellent (as far as I can tell) in every other way?

Rob "need advice fast" M
Concord, MA

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I recall reading on the Vag-Com site that the problem only shows up if you try to access the airbag controller. So long as you only read/write other controllers (e.g. the EGR fix), you won't trip the problem in the airbag controller. Their advice for people with the "bad" controller was:

- Still under warranty? Scan the airbag controller repeatedly until it trips, then get it replaced as defective (don't mention what you had been doing).

- Warranty expired? Don't scan the airbag controller.

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
WOW! - Doing a jig.......I was thinking that hooking up the VAG-COM and using it for anything would create the conflict. BUT it sounds as if I can choose not to scan the airbag controller while still using the software for other trouble shooting????

Rob "lots to learn" M
I thirst for diesel