Q5 TDI, Malone Stage 2

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Everything is running just fine. The Performance is still good, FE is still no better and no worse (running in the mid to high 30s Imperial mpg) and the exhaust system is working out very well. I love the sound of this Q5 TDI.
:D

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i like reading this cannot wait to visit my buddy ken and get my treg done..doing dpf/adblue delete and stage 2 tune....then when i get some more coin im thinking a hybrid 2260 turbo

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well now its done and ive put some miles on it....this is amazing and should be done from day one LOVE it

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
you will love it
I've been anticipating getting it. I rush to check the mail every day after work. I'm curious if it's the same time they use on the Q7. The Q5 is listed as having more HP and TQ with the factory tune on their website. Is the increased power based on the Q7 stock tune?

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
well now its done and ive put some miles on it....this is amazing and should be done from day one LOVE it
Hey Savageman69, I moved over from the original tune to the Buzzken/JR Auto Performance tune. I too am loving it! Seems to be a bit more punch to the Q5 and it addresses some minor issues I was experiencing. :D

I'm looking forward to hearing how your future upgrades go. I'm thinking that I am done with upgrades as I tow a 28 foot trailer with my Q5 and I'm not sure if performance upgrades will improve towing performance or just put more strain on the engine. Based on my past though, I should never say never! LOL :cool:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Hey Savageman69, I moved over from the original tune to the Buzzken/JR Auto Performance tune. I too am loving it! Seems to be a bit more punch to the Q5 and it addresses some minor issues I was experiencing. :D

I'm looking forward to hearing how your future upgrades go. I'm thinking that I am done with upgrades as I tow a 28 foot trailer with my Q5 and I'm not sure if performance upgrades will improve towing performance or just put more strain on the engine. Based on my past though, I should never say never! LOL :cool:
How much louder is the exhaust with the DPF delete? I don't plan on changing it right now, but I may in the future.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
How much louder is the exhaust with the DPF delete? I don't plan on changing it right now, but I may in the future.
To tell you the truth, the volume of the exhaust has never been an issue. The sound under partial to moderate throttle is pretty stock with some hints of performance but when you open it up it gets a lot more intense but still well controlled. Buzzken can and will tailor the exhaust to make it more or less intense. I like mine stock with a bit of an edge, I still have the stock mufflers in place.

Are you going with the tune on a stock Q5? No deletes at present?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
To tell you the truth, the volume of the exhaust has never been an issue. The sound under partial to moderate throttle is pretty stock with some hints of performance but when you open it up it gets a lot more intense but still well controlled. Buzzken can and will tailor the exhaust to make it more or less intense. I like mine stock with a bit of an edge, I still have the stock mufflers in place.

Are you going with the tune on a stock Q5? No deletes at present?
Yes, it's a stock 2014 Q5 TDI. I tried the Chipwerke module and after a few days the engine was chattering and knocking at low rpm under acceleration. The shifting was kind of rough too.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I honestly plan to tow and feel the more power the better it will tow, the 8spd is very stout and will handle the power without an issue...i believe we are shooting for 320 ish hp. It should have reduced egts and less shifting due to more available torque and power...Ken told me the turbo is almost done so it wont be to long now. i will get back to you guys for sure how it makes out.

I choose to remove everything but the rear suitcase muffler and to be honest it sounds basically like a stock v8...i know my 2.0cr was way louder. If you want less sound ken (buzzken) can tailor it to what ever you like. Mine has a nice vr6 kind of note to it...which im a big fan of. Im going to do some videos in a bit ill post them up for you.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
I tried to go to his website, but it redirects me to Fixmyvw.com
Ken works very closely with Andrew at Fixmyvw.com, whatever you may be looking for from Ken can be purchased through Andrew with the exception of some tuning options.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I'm here, whatever u need. This will be the current website setup for the forseeable future. Many many changes are underway.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I'll try the tune out and let you know if I want to go with the downpipe. Hopefully the tune doesn't get stuck at customs.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I received the powergate yesterday. I had to borrow a PC from my father-in-law because I have a MacBook. Has anyone tried to use WineBottler to run the program on a MacBook? It's working fine with the PC, but I'll need to give it back to him soon.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I tried WineBottler and couldn't get it to work. I guess I'll buy a cheap windows tablet and use it. I had a Dell Venue Pro for VCDS, but sold the cable and bought the Hex-Net model that works with iPads/iPhones.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I installed the tune today. It's much better than the Chipwerke module. It feels like a stock tune, but with more power.

Saltyrodz

TDI
2014 Q5 Tdi
I'm new to the diesel tuning def thing. I emailed Ken a while back and wanted a little more info from you guys. I have always had modified and tuned v8 cars and I am looking for a sleeper to run with them. What are your suggestions I have a 2014 q5 tdi that I purchased used with 12,500 miles. I know it came from Texas but that's it. I actually love how it drives just want more. Go ahead and throw out some suggestions. And for those with tunes what are your numbers/ times. I don't want a dyno queen btw.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My wife and I both have a Q5 TDI. Mine is tuned and hers is stock. The tune is much smoother and the throttle response is better. I couldn't tell you what the numbers are, but I can use VCDS on both to get a 0-60 time.

Saltyrodz

TDI
2014 Q5 Tdi
Barry that would be great. And if anyone knows what would I need to keep stock tune and Malone stage tune to switch when I take the Q in for service.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
When you purchase the tune you'll have to purchase the flash loader as well. You can go with Malone or JR Auto Tuning and use it.

SigQ5

TDI
Q5
Thanks to Mark Malone and BuzzKen for making my 2014 Q5 the very first Malone Tuned Q5 TDI ever. We read the car on Thursday evening and by this AM Mark had come up with a Stage 2 tune and Ken put it into the car. Very nice change to the way the car performs especially when using the top part of the rev range, pulls smoother, stronger and longer. Moving off the line seems to have more snap too, I have never spun the tires on pavement with this Q5 until today. Nice! :cool:
BTW, other than the new Malone Tune, this car is still stock.
Future changes are in the planning stages. :eek:
This is very impressive and I am interested.
Does anyone have actual data on engine performance, fuel economy and emissions that they can share?

aimstylus

TDI
'12 Golf, '15 Q5
Bump

Were you able to get any videos of the exhaust? Seems everyone has a very capable piece of tech that also answers phone calls attached to them these days :)

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The problem is getting someone to put the car on a linked roller dyno, and then being able to trust and publish that data. We've only had a few dyno runs of these and they vary a good amount. Our dynapack doesn't work and neither do most of the other units as the AWD system isn't mechanical and can be REALLY moody. Fuel economy on deleted cars usually improves by 10%+ and it lowers EGTs and exhaust back pressure which should help with reliability. Nothing to really be gained in terms of fuel economy on a stock vehicle and I would not believe claims from anyone stating otherwise unless they're altering emissions hardware. Boost is raised fairly minimally, almost all of the power is coming from the fuel mapping. It's a massive improvement though, we're seeing 340WHP/550lb-ft or so out of the BMW 3Ls and I wouldn't be surprised if the VWs were making similar power to the crank with the 2260 turbos. One of the dynapak reps has a V10 and much preferred a local tuned V6 to his car, and that's saying something.

We try to keep our phone number private so we can get work done in the course of the day and so our dealers have lines open. We have plenty of distributors and we don't mind making calls when/if needed, but for the sake of being thorough and having everything written down emails are far better.

Last edited:

Saltyrodz

TDI
2014 Q5 Tdi
Well Owain has been great to deal with waiting on tune now sent them my stock tune via flashzilla. I'm here anxsoiusly awaiting the tune to go for a drive. Can't wait to see what numbers it makes too. 0-60 and 1/4 mile

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
Well Owain has been great to deal with waiting on tune now sent them my stock tune via flashzilla. I'm here anxsoiusly awaiting the tune to go for a drive. Can't wait to see what numbers it makes too. 0-60 and 1/4 mile

Any update? I’m planning the same for my Touareg.

Mxrado

TDI
Audi Q7 Cayenne
The problem is getting someone to put the car on a linked roller dyno, and then being able to trust and publish that data. We've only had a few dyno runs of these and they vary a good amount. Our dynapack doesn't work and neither do most of the other units as the AWD system isn't mechanical and can be REALLY moody. Fuel economy on deleted cars usually improves by 10%+ and it lowers EGTs and exhaust back pressure which should help with reliability. Nothing to really be gained in terms of fuel economy on a stock vehicle and I would not believe claims from anyone stating otherwise unless they're altering emissions hardware. Boost is raised fairly minimally, almost all of the power is coming from the fuel mapping. It's a massive improvement though, we're seeing 340WHP/550lb-ft or so out of the BMW 3Ls and I wouldn't be surprised if the VWs were making similar power to the crank with the 2260 turbos. One of the dynapak reps has a V10 and much preferred a local tuned V6 to his car, and that's saying something.

We try to keep our phone number private so we can get work done in the course of the day and so our dealers have lines open. We have plenty of distributors and we don't mind making calls when/if needed, but for the sake of being thorough and having everything written down emails are far better.

I had a Malone tune on my Audi Q7 2010 with Buzzken dpf delete and it was awesome! It pulled hard, zero issues (and I was at 140K miles at buy back)

Would you guys be throwing a discount for those of us who decided to stick with TDI and just upgrade after the buyback? Similar to what APR did after you totaled your car lol...

Thnks