Coolant g12? g13?

eligibleli

TDI
2013 VW Golf 4Dr
Hi guys

So my car, 2013 Golf TDI, has been running great so far but I have noticed that the coolant engine light is blinking. I checked the coolant level and noticed that it was almost empty. Strange but I went to AutoZone to buy the coolant just to see how it is. I bought my car brand new in 2012 and haven't changed the coolant since.

Any who, on the outside of the coolant reservoir, there is a label that said G12, but I checked the manual from the car and it said G13.

The coolant that is in the car now is pink. I was reading somewhere that the g13 is purple and the g12 is pink...

I checked the site and it looks like Pentosin sells the Pentofrost SF, and Pentofrost E, which is supposed to be equivalent to g12 and g13, respectively.

Which one should I buy??

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You really want g12++/pentofrost ++, or g13/pentofrost e. They are all 100% compatible. Regular g12/ pentofrost sf would probably be fine too, but is a different formulation.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
G13 and G12+ are compatible. They are functionally equivalent but G13 has a more environmentally friendly manufacturing process.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk