Melted oil filter!!!!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I bet the engineers weren't nearly as concerned as Katie. That filter is a bit more deformed than most, but still 100% functional in all likelihood.
Don't you think it would have been easier for VW just to ignore it?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Don't you think it would have been easier for VW just to ignore it?
Yes. That doesn't mean they really have a clue. As long as the hard plastic core of the filter isn't deformed and there are no tears in the filtration media, it's just a cosmetic issue.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
The problem with a deforming filter is it allows pressure to be applied unequally across the entirety of the filter media. This can allow particles that would have otherwise been trapped in the pleats to be pushed through the media. I've seen this all the time with cheaper Chinese filters, especially on the ALH and BHWs, and BRMs. I never saw deforming when a proper OEM filter was used. Now, I know that we've seen deforming on OEM filters in the MkVI, but that doesn't mean the filters aren't crap. I'd recommend trying a different filter. I had a M119 V8 in an E class once. It actually had reinforcements at 1/3 intervals to keep the pleats in place. The reenforcements were only on the Hengst and Mann filters, which were always about twice the price as the garbage from Autozone, etc.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The problem with a deforming filter is it allows pressure to be applied unequally across the entirety of the filter media. This can allow particles that would have otherwise been trapped in the pleats to be pushed through the media. I've seen this all the time with cheaper Chinese filters, especially on the ALH and BHWs, and BRMs. I never saw deforming when a proper OEM filter was used. Now, I know that we've seen deforming on OEM filters in the MkVI, but that doesn't mean the filters aren't crap. I'd recommend trying a different filter. I had a M119 V8 in an E class once. It actually had reinforcements at 1/3 intervals to keep the pleats in place. The reenforcements were only on the Hengst and Mann filters, which were always about twice the price as the garbage from Autozone, etc.
Or the deforming was due to the areas that were slightly more "clogged" than others, causing higher pressure in that area and deformed it.

In all honestly we really don't know what's exactly going on as far as "good or bad" looking filters, until someone posts up a UOA of that says otherwise and it's all arm chair quarter back comments.

I do think eveyone can agree that if you use good filters you shouldn't have a problem.

The '10 CJAA jetta went 140K miles on Mann filters, never burned a drop of oil and prob would have hit +250K miles if I wasn't thrown a pile of cash for it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The good filters like Mann etc. are designed to hold up for well over 30k miles. Clogging is extremely unlikely imo(when changed by the schedule). That sort of deformation looks much more symptomatic of hitting the on ramp moments after starting the car on a cold Jan. morning. I really think it's more of a perception issue than filter functionality issue.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^ Wow, there goes ten minutes I'll never get back. Lol. In the interest of being merciful- don't bother reading past post #5.