www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 12th, 2018, 21:27   #1
Diesl
Veteran Member

Default Turbo cleaning how-to?

After 5 years and 80k miles, I'm seeing the actual manifold pressure lag a bit more behind the requested pressure than it used to. I'm watching the ratio actual/requested, and it drops a bit longer below 1 when stepping on it, and stays for a bit longer above 1 than it used to when taking the foot of the pedal.
I'm suspecting some crud accumulation on the adjustable turbo vanes.
What's the recommended way to clean them, without obliterating the DPF while doing it?
  • Water mist into the intake?
  • Can one flush the turbo while in place (disconnecting exhaust side inlet and outlet)?
  • Complete removal necessary?
  • Has anybody done that him/herself, or had it done at a car shop? How much?
Or will the dealer do it as part of the fix?
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:50   #2
Henrick
Veteran Member

You assumptions on the need of cleaning the turbo vanes are absolutely wrong.
DPF equipped cars do NOT have the sticky vanes problem at all. Due to higher EGTs and regens it's surprisingly clean down there.

If you are having some kind of problems, seek them elsewhere. Trust me, turbo vanes are really in pristine condition. I strongly would suggest not to mess with it.
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 13:30   #3
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

OP, just give the car a hot supper to help prevent the vanes from sticking. The engines that have vane sticking issues are normally the ones not driven hard.

I suspect the lack of vane sticking on the non SCR equipped TDI engines is related to the cheat, and now the agreement to not quite bring the car down to the original NOx emission agreement. Other DPF equipped diesels without SCR had nasty vane sticking issues. When using EGR or timing to bring down the combustion temperater for NOx reduction, PM increases and is caught by the DPF after the turbo. LNT helps a little bit, but not enough. SCR equipped engines on the other hand rarely have this issue.
Old January 13th, 2018, 18:56   #4
Diesl
Veteran Member

Interesting. Is it hard to get a look at the vanes?

And what could be another reason for this perceived lag or stickiness of the pressure ratio?

Last edited by Diesl; January 13th, 2018 at 19:00.
Diesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:46   #5
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

I think you can activate the boost regulator via VCDS while its running, listen for a change in engine note, plus it will give full travel, might help clean up any carbon that's getting in the way. also if you get a mirror you might be able to watch the actuator rod move, see if it looks sticky. also look for an exhaust leak between the turbo and dpf, I had one and it at its worst prevented the engine from making boost at all, odd considering it was after the turbine housing, must have been causing turbulence.
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:57   #6
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think a bad actuator is more likely than stuck vanes.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote