My build thread AKA my slide down the slippery slope

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
A bit of background:
I bought this 2002 ALH Jetta GL with an automatic transmission with 98k mi on the clock.
This is the car when I bought it

Fast forward 7 years and this how she sat

As you can see some things have changed.

Last edited:

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Since purchasing the car I have left the engine stock, preferring to do chi-chi cosmetic mods as I was not entirely sure of my mechanical skills.
So far here is what I have done:
Brushed Aluminum Trim and three spoke steering wheel

.:R pedals

MFA Retrofit with custom Housing modification

OEM Rep HID Headlights

GTI Recaro Seats
Le Castellette Wheels
Black headliner and pillars
Lock pin delete
Updated '04 center console
Updated '04 taillights
Sharkfin antenna
2.5" Turbo back exhaust to replace a leaking exhaust
DG Race pipe and EGR delete kit
and probably more that I am forgetting.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Well last year I got a good deal on some parts so I snatched them up and they have been sitting around for a while.

I have been working over the past few weeks to install these parts (and others)
While I won't give away every detail here is what has happened so far.
Using this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=301184
I upgraded from the early style to later style shift tower
Using this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-VR6-Transmission-Removal-Clutch-Replacement& with some modifications.
I upgraded my stock clutch to this one

SBC II END
I also removed all the intercooler piping intake manifold, turbo and exhaust manifold.
While disassembling everything I found this

Probably needed to be replaced. Fortunately it will be.
Also installed a PD Liftpump using this guide http://idparts.com/downloads/PDLiftPumpInstallGuide_v1.5.pdf

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Actually it isn't, I am thinking of either a custom mesh grill to go with future body styling or going back to a stock grill.

JeffDes4

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Love the timeline photos, thanks for sharing both. The color is really nice. Time for a new paint job now.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
So a little bit of an update.
Car has been sitting like this for a while now waiting for injectors and my turbo.

Yesterday I received my new nozzles from Boraparts and began installing them.

They are PP502s which should pair nicely with my turbo which I am still waiting on. Additionally I replaced and cleaned up all my vacuum lines. Other then that I have been working on a couple other small project which I will reveal when they are complete.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Thanks. I plan to keep updates coming. I have a few more things planned for the engine but after that I am moving on to some other things that I want to update.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Okay, not the best update but here goes.
Yesterday, I was prepping the car for restart. While I was attaching the banjo bolt for the turbo inlet line I heard a snap and the threaded portion on the oil filter housing had cracked off. I am sure this is somewhat related to about 5 years ago when I had a leak from the turbo feed line and had to over tighten the bolt to stop it long enough to get it to a shop for repair. New filter housing and install kit is on its way. On to the carnage:

On the bright side it gave me a chance to install this nice little upgrade.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Ok another update. I had some cluster work done to make my cluster all nice, nice.
- Modified Cluster housing to incorporate the circular Fuel and Temp gauge rings from the B5.5
- Replaced MFA screen with new VDO unit
- Installed Outside Temperature Sensor
- Clock and Odometer screens inverted and replaced LEDs with red to match MFA
- Lit Needles and Displays (Displays necessary to see clock and ODO)
-Linear Temp Gage mod
-Cruise Light Mod

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
While the cluster was out I wired in a boost and EGT gage from VEI systems.

I have not had everything hooked up to test it yet since I am still waiting on my Turbo. That should be here on Friday so I will have some updating to do then.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Lastly, I took advantage of the fact that my steering wheel was faded and replaced it with a new three spoke steering wheel.

It is a steering wheel off the Sirocco R that I had gotten off of the R32 forums on Vortex.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
So I have finally received the last major part for the current phase of my build.

It is a GTB1756 VK that was slightly modified by Whitbread in order to match up to the custom intercooler piping I had purchased earlier from another member in the club.
Here is the new hairdryer in its new home.

And a view of the clearance from below. It will be difficult to adjust the turbo if it is not setup correctly, but I spent some time adjusting the VNT actuator with the mitt-vac so it should be ok.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
So after installing the turbo I completed the installation of the intake manifold and intercooler piping for the FMIC.
I had an issue installing the intake manifold... The intake manifold was contacting the exhaust manifold. The solution was to grind a little from one of the intake runners and a little from the exhaust manifold where the EGR port used to be.

With almost all the installation complete this is the new engine bay

looks just a little different...

After double checking all connections and priming all the injector lines I fired it up for the first time in several months. I found a small fuel leak under the IP. I believe it is the pump head seal so I will be replacing that soon. I also noticed that the the dipstick was broken, probably happened when I replaced the oil filter housing so that will be replaced as well.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
How hard was it replacing your old half MFA display with a new one?

Good looking Jetta!

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
I actually sent it out to a guy on vortex (passattimmy) for that work. I do not trust my soldering skills that much.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
It cost $250 for all the work plus shipping. I think the screen itself is like $100+ for the VDO screen in Germany. That also includes changing out some LEDs, recoding several features and inverting the two screens.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
It fits ok, it always fit ok though as it was an aftermarket repair after I rear ended someone. I did have to do some trimming. I ended up trimming the scoop vents in the lower valence and the brackets that hold the bumper cover to the bumper support bar (the ones that come off the inside by the outer vents). Other than that I didn't have to trim anything else. My plan is to get a slightly larger bumper in the future though.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Not a photo update, but I had my car tuned by David Inglesby (Frankenbuilt) on Friday. David is an awesome guy to work with and his wife is extremely patient and understanding. The tune is awesome. After working out an issue with my turbo oil return line I got to drive it to school for the first time in about 3 months. I was grinning until I got on the highway and I heard a pop. Well I now that my car makes serious boost I cannot seem to keep boost hoses on anymore...:eek:

Last edited:

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
What did he tune it to? Do you have a boost gauge to monitor spikes? I'm running 28psi and get the occasional spike to 30. I've only blown one coupler so far. Trick I learned was to spray the pipe with hairspray to make it hold a little better. And good quality t bolt clamps really help

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Its tuned to 26 Psi. I do have a boost gauge, haven't seen above 20 psi on the gauge yet. I might not ever make 26 psi with the nozzles I have (there may be a change in the works ;)). I have good quality t-clamps I just didn't have the pipes in the coupler all the way. I will keep fiddling with it until I can give her the beans without a popping noise. On another note when I get to about 10-12 psi on my gauge I get some awesome flow noise through the pipes. I may have to rename my car to the Banshee...

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
After some serious discussions with my wife looking at the future commitments I will end up with, I came to the decision of getting a new car.

I purchased Lyn, the 2015 Golf TDI in June and will be parting out the Jetta. Please see the F/S thread in the classifieds section if you are interested in any of the Mods on the Jetta. Thanks for all the compliments and I hope to see some more really great builds in the future.