No Mod w/o DPF Replacement?!

dieseldreamin

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
Dropped my car off this morning to have the modification complete, i had no check engine light no engine noise and no problems, but somehow they found a code in the dpf.

They just called and said that they cant and wont complete the modification on my 2010 jsw until I paid them $2242 to have the DPF replaced.

how convenient ?! :mad:

Last edited:

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Forget the modification, and switch to the buyback option.

Let it be their problem.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Does your car have a delete, or are is the current DPF damaged? Would be good to know the exact reason they are requiring replacement before hand.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
If you like the car tell them to do the repair, then imediatly do fix, submit paperwork and wait for your check. Then go to pick up car and pay out of your funds from fix. Thats the least VW could do.

dieseldreamin

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
Stealership said that an error code popped up 5/11. So I'm assuming . They are going to fix it tomorrow and give a little discount. Just bad timing I guess, smh

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Just got off the phone with claims. They said if the car is not throwing a code they have to do the fix. They can find soot indicating a cracked dpf but if car is not throwimg code they have to do the fix. Call claims and dealer and verify if the car has thrown a code and what code it is. He asle said to call customer carw and maybe they will let dealer replace dog and then do fix then you can pay when you get money. He was not 100% surw about that but said it is posssible

dieseldreamin

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
I also called claims who then called the dealership who called me and said they have to replace it before we can complete the mod. Stealership said it was P0401, which is funny it didn't throw my check engine light on like it had in the past.

Last edited:

16volt

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
This really worries me, I don't have any codes on my car, but with my distrust of my dealer I could see them pulling something like this on me to make a few bucks. I don't trust my dealer at all.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
I also called claims who then called the dealership who called me and said they have to replace it before we can complete the mod. Stealership said it was P0401, which is funny it didn't throw my check engine light on like it had in the past.
When was the last time the check engine light was on because of P0401? Maybe it was a pending or stored code that didn't light up the CEL.

Did you do anything to fix the code or did you just reset it on your own? I have the same code and I just cleaned the EGR valve and intake manifold over the weekend. I cleared the code and it has not come back yet. I know its a temporary fix but I hope it works long enough for me to get the fix withouth having to replace the DPF. If it come back I'm going to try to clean the EGR filter as well and see if that lasts any longer.

dieseldreamin

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
Good luck. hopefully they don't tell you they "found a code". Didn't do anything or reset it cuz I didn't know it was there, they said it came up may 18th. Vorderman vw is whose doing the work.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
sounds like they will insist on clean code history for P0401 for any car that does not need a DPF as part of the fix, yet put them on the hook for fixing one after.

on my 2009, they did not insist on any fix before starting the "fix"

when I dropped off the car, there was no MIL (check engine) and no pending P0401 codes. there was a record of stored P0401 codes visible in the OBD standard area, and the VW specific codes showed this for stored engine codes accessed with my VCDS:

Code:
Monday,14,August,2017,16:22:48:51928
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.8.0.1 (x64)
Data version: 20170721 DS276.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 01: Engine       Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.CLB
Control Module Part Number: 03L 997 016 P    HW: 03L 906 022 J
  Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG  8681
           Software Coding: 0050078
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000
                      VCID: 3FA390536EB764BEB3-806A
1 Fault Found:

001025 - EGR System 
               P0401 - 000 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent - MIL ON
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 10100000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 24
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 329356 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 08:49:40

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1426 /min
                    Speed: 31.0 km/h
                    Voltage: 14.21 V
                    Load: 82.4 %
                    Load: 100.0 %
                    Mass Air / Rev.: 245.0 mg/str
                    Mass Air / Rev.: 355.0 mg/str

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0
for those unfamiliar with these, it says the engine controller recorded 24 instances of the P0401 codes since the one noted at the indicated mileage

it does seem reasonable (to me anyway) for VW to expect owner to pick up the cost of repair of components which would be covered after the fix, but not replaced as part of the fix. one would want to know this in advance, and consider these costs against the incentive payment provided after the fix.

someone with a VCDS can read these stored codes, or the dealer will read them for a fee.

Last edited:

dieseldreamin

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
Yeah the didn't insist on a clean code until after they had it for half the day and realized it had a p0401 history. There was no MIL on mine either. Just letting people know that they will most likely force you to replace dpf if it has that error.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
sounds like they will insist on clean code history for P0401 for any car that does not need a DPF as part of the fix, yet put them on the hook for fixing one after.

on my 2009, they did not insist on any fix before starting the "fix"

when I dropped off the car, there was no MIL (check engine) and no pending P0401 codes. there was a record of stored P0401 codes visible in the OBD standard area, and the VW specific codes showed this for stored engine codes accessed with my VCDS:

Code:
Monday,14,August,2017,16:22:48:51928
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.8.0.1 (x64)
Data version: 20170721 DS276.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 01: Engine       Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.CLB
Control Module Part Number: 03L 997 016 P    HW: 03L 906 022 J
  Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG  8681
           Software Coding: 0050078
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000
                      VCID: 3FA390536EB764BEB3-806A
1 Fault Found:

001025 - EGR System 
               P0401 - 000 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent - MIL ON
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 10100000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 24
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 329356 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 08:49:40

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1426 /min
                    Speed: 31.0 km/h
                    Voltage: 14.21 V
                    Load: 82.4 %
                    Load: 100.0 %
                    Mass Air / Rev.: 245.0 mg/str
                    Mass Air / Rev.: 355.0 mg/str

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0
for those unfamiliar with these, it says the engine controller recorded 24 instances of the P0401 codes since the one noted at the indicated mileage

it does seem reasonable (to me anyway) for VW to expect owner to pick up the cost of repair of components which would be covered after the fix, but not replaced as part of the fix. one would want to know this in advance, and consider these costs against the incentive payment provided after the fix.

someone with a VCDS can read these stored codes, or the dealer will read them for a fee.
So you had the code before fix as dream did. yet they want dream to fix it before they update unlike in your same situation right? so depends on the dealer to make this choice huh?:eek:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
So you had the code before fix as dream did. yet they want dream to fix it before they update unlike in your same situation right? so depends on the dealer to make this choice huh?:eek:
I have a 2009, he has a 2010.

on the 2009, the DPF is attached to the NSC(NOX cat).
on the 2010 (except for a few very early ones) they are separate parts, with a joint in between.

so my car has to get a new DPF to go with the new NOX cat.

the 2010-2014 years have separable parts.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
with a 2009 it won't matter if the DPF is cracked. Its part of the 1 piece, one year only welded assembly so they have to replace it regardless of its condition for free as part of the fix

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I don't have a Ross-Tech VCDS. Prefer not to invest in one unless I know I am keeping and fixing my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition. Will a conventional OBD-II code reader pick up that there is at least a pending P0401 code stored in the ECM, even if it can't provide the additional information the VCDS does? Just want to know if my OBD-II code reader will at least tell me if I have the P0401 code pending and have to consider this situation before I do my fix. I have a purchased extended warranty through a VW dealer that goes to May 2018, but I don't know if it covers a DPF replacement or not.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A generic OBD reader should show a stored code if it caused the MIL to light in the past.

(based on my experience with my car)

but other internal storage in the ECU will show stored error codes which were not common enough to ever set the MIL.

these codes (P0401 for a cracked DPF, that passes soot that clogs up the low pressure EGR filter) start once in a while, and are stored in the ECU.

when enough in a row are noted, a pending code is stored in the standard OBD part of the interface.

when a pending code exists, and another is observed, the MIL is set on, and the saved code is stored.

if the conditions no longer show a failure, the stored code remains, but the MIL can go out, and a pending code will not show.

but the ECU will still maintain a record of the code, including how many times the code was noted.

a generic code reader should be able to see pending and stored codes, but not the more detailed saved VW specific codes.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
On hold with customer care right now regarding a possible bad dpf for my 2011. Conversation is very promising as far as possible some goodwill on VW s part as far as replacing my dpf if needed before fix. He is verifying my records ECT and said if all check out he should have good news.. still on hold. fingers crossed

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
A generic OBD reader should show a stored code if it caused the MIL to light in the past.

(based on my experience with my car)

but other internal storage in the ECU will show stored error codes which were not common enough to ever set the MIL.

these codes (P0401 for a cracked DPF, that passes soot that clogs up the low pressure EGR filter) start once in a while, and are stored in the ECU.

when enough in a row are noted, a pending code is stored in the standard OBD part of the interface.

when a pending code exists, and another is observed, the MIL is set on, and the saved code is stored.

if the conditions no longer show a failure, the stored code remains, but the MIL can go out, and a pending code will not show.

but the ECU will still maintain a record of the code, including how many times the code was noted.

a generic code reader should be able to see pending and stored codes, but not the more detailed saved VW specific codes.
OK, here is what I interpreted from your reply:

1. stored error: an event happened, not yet pending or saved, no MIL
  2. pending error: when enough stored errors are recorded, a pending error is recorded (not yet saved, no MIL)
  3. saved error: when there is a pending error followed by another, the MIL is turned on and the error saved
If this is a correct interpretation, my OBD-II scanner will show items 2 & 3 above, but not item 1. If the ECU shows events as in item 1 that my scanner will not show, is item 1 alone sufficient for a dealer to refuse to apply the fix until the stored error fault is corrected? If YES, then my OBD-II scanner will not give me confidence all is ready for the fix with no surprises (such as the example in this thread).

dieseldreamin

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
At dealership, it was a stored p0401 code no mil,$ 2052 for new dpf out the door. Just a heads up if you have a P0401 code stored they will most likely require you to replace the dpf before they proceed. Another nice thing....they charged me $200 for rush shipping of the dpf part haha.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
At dealership, it was a stored p0401 code no mil,$ 2052 for new dpf out the door. Just a heads up if you have a P0401 code stored they will most likely require you to replace the dpf before they proceed. Another nice thing....they charged me $200 for rush shipping of the dpf part haha.
By stored, do you mean it fits the definition I had above (not readable with an OBD-II scanner because it is not pending or saved [which activates the MIL])?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was trying to be specific.

VCDS has a screen that covers standard OBD access.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/obd-2.html

my experience with this screen is as described.

error sequence from cleared codes would be

pending code
(DTC)
saved code (and MIL) if you get another error while the pending is active.

if the pending is followed by a good test (no code)
the pending code clears.

if it gets to saved code with the MIL,

the code remains as a saved code, even if the test passes and the MIL goes out.

I think these would be visible in a standard OBD reader.

the extra details would need a VCDS or dealer tool.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It might be possible for someone with a slightly cracked DPF that is in a once in a while P0401 state to clear codes, drive to see readiness, (through a DPF regen and couple other events..) and then have the fix done.

This would be simpler with a VCDS. (which would be a good idea to have if you plan to keep the car....)

once the dealer sees the code, I expect them to note in the car's service record.

there is always a chance that the car starts throwing a code on the way to the dealer, or while at the dealer.

there is some language in the fix document that says they opened up some checks.

heck, a slightly sooty DPF might never throw a code after the software is updated.

briankirk725

TDI
2010 JSW
On hold with customer care right now regarding a possible bad dpf for my 2011. Conversation is very promising as far as possible some goodwill on VW s part as far as replacing my dpf if needed before fix. He is verifying my records ECT and said if all check out he should have good news.. still on hold. fingers crossed
In the Red,

Any luck on that call with customer care? Got the same problem here.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
In the Red,
Any luck on that call with customer care? Got the same problem here.
A little. Have a case number and appointment is Friday. He did not say they will eat total cost of dpf but I can push for that( his words) and they will do something. If they back out at last minute they will be stuck with car. I ll change to buyback
and leave car at dealer.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
I still have been unable to find anything in writing that I need to comply with any level of acceptance for the existing exhaust/emissions components prior to the fix being implemented. If this is something the "dealer" is telling people, I'd have them provide the written requirement from VW, otherwise, this is just a dealer making **** up and can't be forced. Tell them to fix it, put in the sticker, and sign off. As I was told by my dealer, "we aren't VW, we are just a dealer", therefore they have no authority to implement any "rules" on their own, even if they pretend to.

There is not a "test" you have to pass after the fix, so why would they care? If you have the sticker, you get a free pass on inspections (if you have to go through one).
Only reason is because you will warranty the DPF later, and they won't get your money. They will certainly try to hook you for it.

IMO, any problems with the DPF are a result of them operating the system in a way it was not supposed to be operated in the first place.

If someone can show me where there are prerequisites for the fix, please do share. Sure seems to me they'd make us aware of that prior to making any appointments.