Trunk lid shock upgrade?

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
Just picked up a '15 wagen last night and am looking for a trunk shock that will auto lift the trunk lid when a remote open is initiated. Anyone know of this option out there?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Ah, no. I much prefer my trunk lid just lifting an inch or two. Helps to keep water out of the trunk area when it's raining.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
There is youtube videos on it and look at the comments, one is too strong for the hatch I read.

kevkor2002

TDI
I saw videos of both and the USP looks more controlled. The ECS one seems like more strain on the hinges.

Thanks again all.

kevkor2002

TDI
Update! USP has not tested this with the Wagen yet and therefore won't say for sure it will work. They do plan to test it and offer a GSW option. Heres hoping. If one ever drops I'll do it and offer up my thoughts.

kevkor2002

TDI
Really! The sales rep at USP said the angle was different on the lid. I may call back and order and if it doesn't fit see about a return option. ;) Thanks for the heads up on this. My wife really wants this added.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I'll double check when the wagen gets home, I could be wrong. They are definitely the same door, but I guess the exact position of the shocks could be different.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

kevkor2002

TDI
Its no biggie. I dug around on the page and found 2015 GSW door shocks. It called out the SW specifically. Note to self...look before you call a sales rep. They are on the way now. :) Thanks for your efforts though. They are appreciated.

I'll let you know how they look/work

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
I'll double check when the wagen gets home, I could be wrong. They are definitely the same door, but I guess the exact position of the shocks could be different.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Similar, but different.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Its no biggie. I dug around on the page and found 2015 GSW door shocks. It called out the SW specifically. Note to self...look before you call a sales rep. They are on the way now. :) Thanks for your efforts though. They are appreciated.

I'll let you know how they look/work
If they don't work, I'll pay you for them :)

kevkor2002

TDI
Sounds good. I hope they work though!! ��

kevkor2002

TDI
They are supposed to be delivered today. May give it a shot at installation tonight. If not I'm not sure when I can. I have to drop the Golf at the dealer tomorrow to have the backup camera looked at. I'm getting an intermittent black screen when moving.

kevkor2002

TDI
They are in. I just got home though. I may go take a look at them.

kevkor2002

TDI
Put them on. It was really easy. So far I like them. Wife loves them. Even with them being harder to close.

kevkor2002

TDI
More info after a couple of days use. Its a little fast on the initial open. It does a decent job of slowing the hatch toward the middle and end of the opening to take the stress off the hinges. It is significantly harder to close. We've only had the car for a few weeks so I do not expect it to be difficult to adjust to the extra pressure required to close it.

All in all the wife loves it and says its money well spent. I like the auto open feature fine and have no regrets. Other people might not be as forgiving of a "mod" that has compromises. But for me its a good swap!!

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
More info after a couple of days use. Its a little fast on the initial open. It does a decent job of slowing the hatch toward the middle and end of the opening to take the stress off the hinges. It is significantly harder to close. We've only had the car for a few weeks so I do not expect it to be difficult to adjust to the extra pressure required to close it.

All in all the wife loves it and says its money well spent. I like the auto open feature fine and have no regrets. Other people might not be as forgiving of a "mod" that has compromises. But for me its a good swap!!
how's this working out? does hatch open by itself when you press fob?
i did strut reversal on our old Golf, but it only popped open 40-50% of the time.
kinda lame that this isn't a standard feature on hatchbacks in the year 2017!

kevkor2002

TDI
It does pop all the way up with the fob. It is a little hard at the end of the open as if its trying to open past the hinge range of motion but its minute to my ear. Also if you press the hatch release on the back of the car it will "pop" open so dont do it standing as close to the car...youll get a hatch lift gate in the thigh ;)

I almost never use the fob since the keys are essentially in my pocket 100% of the time and if I'm carrying things I just use the release on the lift gate. My wife uses the fob often...or when she drives the wagon anyway.