Schaeffer’s Advanced European Performance Oils

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I purchased one quart off Amazon of the 8008 Advanced European Performance Mid SAPS 5W-30. It says it's suitable for 507.00 applications.
I bought it as a "top off" oil for in between oil changes. However my '15 Passat has never used even a drop of oil during the 10,000 mile intervals.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2-2005 Passat Wagon TDIs, 2-2004 Passat Wagon TDIs
I have studied the UOA of a number of oils. I had the European Amsoil in my 04 Jetta on my first oil change at 120k miles (first TDI for us). The No. 2 intake lobe failed. I then went to the UOA on the TDIs and saw high iron in all of the TDIs with European Amsoil (no molybdenum, not enough zinc). I had Amsoil check the oil for an oil failure, it checked to their specs. My opinion is the wear probably started prior to but failed during this oil change then the oil did not do it's job to prevent further wear. I then chose Schaeffer 9000 5W40, it is full synthetic diesel oil with molybdenum as the extreme pressure component. (zinc is also good, Mobil TDT has zinc) The Schaeffer 9000 is not rated for the TDI however the UOA on the TDIs show it is very good for the TDI PDs. I have over 115,000 miles with Schaeffer 9000 with no cam wear (new cam). 2005 Passat TDI with Schaeffer 9000 and 80,000 on a new cam with no wear. 2004 Passat TDI also new cam with 55,000 miles and no wear. I do inspect the cams once per year. My neighbor who has millions in farm equipment only uses the Schaeffer 7000, a synthetic blend. The company has been around for over 80 years. I use it in my other vehicles (5W30 for the gas engines) and it is a low cost oil at $6.79/quart. I has not seen a better deal. I use 1 quart at 10,000 miles in the Jetta. They have a new blend that is replacing the 7000 and 9000 now. I have not checked the changes out yet.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Fasteddie10

off topic but the oil you like looks like will not change to much other than I think you will see less molydtc or less zinc and phosphorous or more boron so that they can actually try to stay in the CJ4 (and new CK-4) classification, remember they do not have certification with S9000 and can change formulation to improve its performance which they had to do last time when they tried to say it would meet the 505.01 standard. It originally to meet the 505.01 had no moly back when it first came out in 2007.

Scheaffer quote:
9000 SynShield™ OTR Plus 5W-40 with anti-wear and oxidation additives to maintain fuel economy and engine durability for owner operators who want to own their equipment longer. It’s available in synthetic blend 10W-30 meeting API CK-4 and full synthetic 5W-40 meeting API CK-4.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Does anyone have any knowledge of Schaeffer Oil?

They say, "Schaeffer’s Advanced European Performance Oils are designed to meet the specific performance requirements of European vehicles."

Here is the web page with more info:
http://www.schaefferoil.com/euro-oil.html

Thank you,
David
Did you end up switching to this? I'm pretty sure I'll be changing to the 8008 once I hit the 20k mark with the Castrol LL03. This is the #1 oil (the 9000) recommended by Frank of FranksTDI who brought the revised cam to the BRM. I'm going cam job on a 06 soon but after talking with Frank for a bit, he told me about their 507 spec oil and it's what he recommended for the newer cars that need the 507 spec oils.

I will, of course, do UOA's because at the price point, and as terrible as we know the usual suspects are after 10k (mainly because of the low mounts of zinc left) I want to give this a shot. The recommendation from Frank is worth much more than any commercial or sales slick. :D

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
S9000 holds up well in my tdi. For those who are curious. Per Karen, the Schaeffers lab manager, S9000 5w40 is still the cj-4 formulation. She said they will eventually reformulate, but not for a while. Their site saysit meets ck-4 on the bottle but the spec sheet does not mention ck4.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Did you end up switching to this? I'm pretty sure I'll be changing to the 8008 once I hit the 20k mark with the Castrol LL03. This is the #1 oil (the 9000) recommended by Frank of FranksTDI who brought the revised cam to the BRM. I'm going cam job on a 06 soon but after talking with Frank for a bit, he told me about their 507 spec oil and it's what he recommended for the newer cars that need the 507 spec oils.
I will, of course, do UOA's because at the price point, and as terrible as we know the usual suspects are after 10k (mainly because of the low mounts of zinc left) I want to give this a shot. The recommendation from Frank is worth much more than any commercial or sales slick. :D
Old post, I know, but I figured I'd bring it back to the top and share my latest UOA >>>> https://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5560308&postcount=3570. I did switch to the Schaeffers at my 20k oil change so you can see how it's gone since. I'll be sticking with the 8008 in my MY15 and now my MY11 Golf TDI. :D