www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 14th, 2016, 23:21   #18526
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Removed the rear bumper cover and bumper off the Golf, in prep for the Bosal hitch I have arriving tomorrow. Broke a piece due to rust and have to drive to Austin to get a replacement (since I want the car reassembled tomorrow).

Also installed a backup camera on the license plate frame, but have yet to route the wiring and put in an appropriate headunit.
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 07:19   #18527
redbarron55
Veteran Member

If you are installing a head unit and probably the camera you are installing is a composite video have you thought about the Enon Android based unit?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 20:02   #18528
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If you are installing a head unit and probably the camera you are installing is a composite video have you thought about the Enon Android based unit?
I haven't, because I haven't heard of it. My tuner suggested Joying, as a customer of his has that brand. I definitely want something Android, and ideally something I could root.

In keeping with this thread, I installed my Bosal hitch today, and then got a lot of crap from a friend who thinks I should take a loss and sell it, so he can fabricate something for me like someone else did in the upgrades section. Ugh...

On the plus side, I finally paid my dues and got a TDIclub contributor membership. Figured I should do my share, since this site has been very good to me these past 6 years.
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 18:24   #18529
tdismithville

TDI(s): 2006 Golf

I have an 06 Golf GLS TDI with 288000 kms on it. Last week I swapped out the stock cloth seats for a nice set of leather seats from an 01 Jetta vr6. Today I changed the air filter, rear license light module, and changed the manual transmission fluid. Yesterday I finally (after an 11 month ordeal) had the front fender replaced under the rust warranty. Tomorrow I'm putting on a new bug deflector to hide the stone chips on the hood. Going to look like a brand new car!
tdismithville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 22:32   #18530
david_594
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.7/48.2/40.7

Finally got a little extra storage space for the Jetta. Its a Thule Atlantis 1600XT.
Replaced the injection pump head seal last week which resolved an embarrassing fuel leak the car had developed.
david_594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 23:10   #18531
oldpoopie

This weekend, went to Descend On Bend
http://www.poseidonsbeard.com

[IMG][/IMG]

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...e1f49b786edc8c

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 05:59   #18532
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

That was my BeetleGo! A white '98! JetPuff had a white '98 too. We checked VIN numbers and it was probably built the same day on the assembly line.

Nice car. I miss how easy it was to step in (with a top hat, if you want!)

How's the stability once your in the tent?

More pictures please!
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!

Last edited by BeetleGo; October 18th, 2016 at 06:02.
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:55   #18533
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg

Tried to find out what causes the noise in the front end of the Skoda. It has the same subframe and suspension bits as the mk5 Golf. Strut mounts seem ok (on mk4 and older those were really easy to check, I liked that!), the top nuts were tight. Drop links are fine. No play anywhere when I rock the wheels.
LCA bushings seem a bit soft but aren't cracked.
Tightened quite a few of the subframe bolts, not only the large ones were loose but a bunch of the others aswell. Not impressed with that as it seems to be very common.
That didn't cure the clunking either...
Don't know that to check next, maybe the shocks are shot?

The sound is most noticeable when going slowly over pot holes or bumps. Not a "heavy" sound, more like a drop link clunk but they are ok. I drive a lot on logging roads so it gets on my nerves.
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 15:56   #18534
crashtested
Veteran Member

Last seasons set of Toyo's on the back and a new pair of GSi's, pads & rotors on the front for the Jetta today.

Lets go skiing!!
Old October 29th, 2016, 16:23   #18535
DI fan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 city(wife) 44 city(me) 48 highway. Best 52

I finally performed the hammer mod to set IQ instead of changing it with VCDS. Sooooooo easy!!! I don't know why I've never done it. After I reset the adaptation the the stock number I found I was at 2.8. I set it at 4.0 with hammer mod. Only very lite haze at WOT. I use to have a slightly dark cloud and didn't like to accelerate to hard with anyone behind me. Hopefully this will help my mileage get back into the 40's which has dropped off of over time.
DI fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 07:23   #18536
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtested View Post
Last seasons set of Toyo's on the back and a new pair of GSi's, pads & rotors on the front for the Jetta today.

Lets go skiing!!
Yes, it's that time of year again, changed to winter tires on both cars. I have Gislaved Nordfrost 5 on the Golf and Goodyear IceArctic I believe on the Skoda. Both are studded.
Old November 1st, 2016, 11:52   #18537
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokivasara View Post
Yes, it's that time of year again, changed to winter tires on both cars. I have Gislaved Nordfrost 5 on the Golf and Goodyear IceArctic I believe on the Skoda. Both are studded.
Good call to change tires, two days later and we have had our first snow fall
Old November 1st, 2016, 14:04   #18538
PeeWee
Veteran Member

Changed to winter tires yesterday on both the wagon and the Tig. 20 c today but winter is coming we had snow last week just 50 K north of here.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 19:36   #18539
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Drove it home from work without a clutch that disengages - that was interesting

Details in this thread - any recommendations welcomed.

Leaning toward the clutch master cylinder...

Driving my son's 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2.0, 01M in the mean time - I miss my TDI already
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 15:59   #18540
ToffeeTDI

Fuel Economy: 46-49 mpg

Installed four OEM Stone Guards bought with dealer card. Also tried installing Enhanced Rearview mirror, but S model doesn't seem to have overhead console wiring needed for it (no sunroof).