www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 9th, 2014, 16:28   #17176
dlai
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Up There

Installed a set of GLI seats into my Golf. Pretty easy, connectors matched. Found out the rear seatback with the seat belt strap was bent. When the seatback is in the car, the middle of the seatback is four inches forward. I'm guessing the donor car was in a rear end accident and the seatback is bent because of that. Looking on Ebay and Craigslist for a replacement.

Otherwise, great seats, much better than the stock cloth OEM ones.

Chainless Since 4/22/09
dlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 21:09   #17177
gary2smart

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG with 10% local driving

Removed Muffler and added a very long resonator. Nice sound at low RPM no drone at high RPM its music to my ear for now.

Last edited by gary2smart; October 9th, 2014 at 21:11.
gary2smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 00:50   #17178
Shawnz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

Finally fixed my 'exhaust leak noise under load' by replacing the exhaust gaskets. MUCH better! It sounded almost exactly like it does when an injector leaks but it was not leaving the tell-tale soot around the injectors.

It looked like I had one of the exhaust gasket on up side down when I installed the 17/22 a couple years and 30k miles ago and it finally let me know. How I missed that the first time around I'll never know.
Old October 11th, 2014, 15:17   #17179
solid19snake
Veteran Member

Sold it. No more highway miles with the new commute so I sold the 2012 Jetta and got a 2015 GTI. I'll still come by to read the stories when filling up at a "gasoline" station and such though. Now I have to remember to not pull up to the diesel/combo pump for you guys!

2012 VW Jetta TDI (6MT) - DG Panzer Plate
solid19snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 15:48   #17180
gary2smart

Installed Street Racer Coilovers two finger spaces above tires. Will allow it to settle ans allign next weekend.
Old October 12th, 2014, 07:45   #17181
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid19snake View Post
Sold it. No more highway miles with the new commute so I sold the 2012 Jetta and got a 2015 GTI. I'll still come by to read the stories when filling up at a "gasoline" station and such though. Now I have to remember to not pull up to the diesel/combo pump for you guys!
Try not to put diesel in your gasser

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

2001 Jetta TDI 357,000 km 01M/2002 Golf TDI 285,000 km 01/2010 GSW TDI 115,000 km 6MT/2013 Jetta TDI 47,000 km 6MT
JASONP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:49   #17182
gary2smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2smart View Post
Installed Street Racer Coilovers two finger spaces above tires. Will allow it to settle ans allign next weekend.
Now I need a Belly Pan any recommendations?
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:09   #17183
romad
Veteran Member

Panzer from DieselGeek

http://www.dieselgeek.com/MK6_Jetta_...ate_s/1844.htm

http://www.dieselgeek.com/MK6_Jetta_...ate_s/1845.htm

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 16:05   #17184
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Refurbished the wiper linkage on the 4-dr last Saturday. One of the pivots was really hard to turn - that wiper motor must put out some serious torque.

Disassembled and re-greased after a clean up of the corrosion. I will find out in a couple of months if the grease is too thick for sub-zero temperatures.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 20:56   #17185
Nuje
Veteran Member

In the past few (ok - LOTS of) days:
Pulled the head after diagnosing damaged lifters
Got replacement head from Franko6 that had sand in it, plus dinged up camshaft (more on that later), so then waited on an exchange for that.
Re-installed the head.
Pulled out the 5sp.
In went the 6sp. from Frans (more on that later, too)
Pressed new TT bushings into the LCAs
Then the GT1749VC from Xman (guess what - that didn't exactly go without a hitch either; let's just say my vendor experiences on this project haven't exactly been stellar)

(Now, just waiting on Malone tune....oh, pretty please...)

And then just tonight, diagnosed the driver airbag light that came on after I'd installed the FIS/MFA wiper stalk (bent a pin on the clock spring connector when putting everything back together).

Just took it for a spin around the block...nothing fell off or exploded, so I'm feeling pretty good about it (for now at least).

Now it's just the niggly stuff: Euro wipers; wiring up the multifunction steering wheel controls to control aftermarket head unit (speaking of which, anyone heard anything on when Pioneer is releasing its CarPlay firmware update???); getting the FIS cluster installed/IMMO matched; and probably 11 other things I'm forgetting.

Last edited by Nuje; October 14th, 2014 at 20:59.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 21:21   #17186
Caddy 16v
Veteran Member

Nice one, any chance we could meet up some time, currently up island for work till next week, would love to check out the butt dyno on that turbo!?
2000 Jetta, mufflerectomy, Evolution Atlas skid plate, OEM xenon reps retrofitted, Hella Micro DE, HFLOX Warp 3 nozzles, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 5 Custom, Euro 17/22, DC Stage 4 clutch, STAGG suspension, Curt hitch, Auber EGT and NSP boost gauge, Hella Sharptones, Rally Armor mud flaps, 1.8T pancake pipe, upgraded SMIC, VAG-COM, all offroaded out
2000 Golf, JSP Armadillo skid plate, limo tint (Sold)
Caddy 16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 22:01   #17187
forcedfedbug
Veteran Member

Pioneer has released the firmware for carplay already. it was released the beginning of the month. the forums for that is avic411.com

Ron

forcedfedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 00:32   #17188
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy 16v View Post
Nice one, any chance we could meet up some time, currently up island for work till next week, would love to check out the butt dyno on that turbo!?
Always game for a meet up with a fellow TDI geek. ; unfortunately, I'm away so often over the next three weeks, that I honestly just don't have the time. I'll be in Victoria mid-November if you want to meet up there.
Old October 15th, 2014, 00:34   #17189
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfedbug View Post
Pioneer has released the firmware for carplay already. it was released the beginning of the month. the forums for that is avic411.com
You know - as I was typing that, I thought: Maybe I should do a quick search to see if the update was released. But then I got distracted by [who the hell knows what - internet has killed my attention span] and neglected to do so.
Downloading the update now....
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:26   #17190
forcedfedbug
Veteran Member
Default squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
You know - as I was typing that, But then I got distracted by [who the hell knows what - internet has killed my attention span]
squirrel

Ron

forcedfedbug is offline   Reply With Quote