MK7 TDI skid plate

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
We've gone through a bunch of them, customers have been very happy with the Ares. Thickness is the same, and they have very heavy brackets like previous generations too...
-BB

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Any word if dieselgeek would be making a MK7 plate? Rather give the guy the money as I've been real happy with what he sells.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
Q: Does an aftermarket skid plate interfere in any way with routine maintenance? e.g., oil change, etc.?

tia,

willie
on the sunny and warm Gulf of Mexico

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
No - both the aftermarket skid plate and OEM splash pan would need to be removed to do the oil change from below anyway.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
tks! the skid plate looks like a great idea!

willie
on the smooth-sailing Gulf of Mexico

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
now 2 months later - has anyone else played with the aftermarket skid plates? I see that ECS has got 1 also

tom61

TDI
2001 tdi beetle , 2015 TDI GSW DSG SE
After comparing the Ares to the ECS , I ordered the Ares . I didn't like how the ECS plate mounted . The Ares plate from evolutionimports.com was just delivered yesterday and it is very impressive . I will probably have to wait until next weekend to install it .

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Any word if dieselgeek would be making a MK7 plate? Rather give the guy the money as I've been real happy with what he sells.
I've been extremely happy w dieselgeek products too- but panzer plates are pretty much clones of Atlas plates. Atlas was making them first.

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
Do you guys offroad your cars? I cant think of a situation where I'd need these on my daily? Not looking to offend, just curious. Theres obviously a market for these as there are multiple vendors with offerings. Do the GSWs have soft parts exposed underneath the car or something?

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I am ordering the Evolution plate from Bora for my new Golf Sportwagen TDI. I have the Panzer plate from Dieselgeek on all three of my 2005 Passat TDI wagons and I would not own any TDI or VW for that matter without undercarriage protection.

One chunk of debris, Ice chunk, dead animal or chunk of wood etc in the roadway and your undercarriage will be toast with that cheap plastic splash shield. just my .02 here.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I have an evolution plate on my Passat, needed some tweeking to get it to match up. I wish it used stainless hardware, they see the salt in Canada and you better have the bolts greased up when you install them. but if your car is a work horse not a show horse,when you see one scratched up after a yr, you will appreciate its under there..

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone dig into OEM aluminum plates? looks like VW has a similar product straight from Euro Dealers. Prob not as stout as these after market but, when I took the Alltracks off I noticed it has substantial weight compared to the stock TDIs.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone dig into OEM aluminum plates? looks like VW has a similar product straight from Euro Dealers. Prob not as stout as these after market but, when I took the Alltracks off I noticed it has substantial weight compared to the stock TDIs.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532
All I could find reference to in that link were plastic skid trays from VW. It was very dull reading though, so I didn't read everything. Kinda funny reading folks trying to justify how the reinforced plastic tray they bought is actually better than a real skid plate.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I'd say the reinforced OEM tray is as good as any aftermarket one, based on my reading.

I used GolfDaves info and installed the various parts for better airflow / reduced drag on my GSW.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sure the plastic tray is better than nothing, but it's not a skid plate.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, that's a heck of a lot better than the factory belly pan.

Last edited:

nerdchild

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
ECS vs Evolution skid plate

Does anyone know the difference between the ECS and Evolution skid plates for the MK7? They seem comparable with the ECS being $50 cheaper when including shipping.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Do you guys offroad your cars? I cant think of a situation where I'd need these on my daily? Not looking to offend, just curious. Theres obviously a market for these as there are multiple vendors with offerings. Do the GSWs have soft parts exposed underneath the car or something?
It was mentioned to me that TDIs hang a little lower than other cars and are a bit more susceptible to not clearing stuff on the road.

Case and point, I wrote my MK4 Golf off because of a manhole cover sticking up on the road. Everybody else passed over it, of course.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Different generations are different, not all are low.

My old A3 rarely rubbed, and didn't feel it needed any extra protection.

MK4 were quite low, even mine with spacers on front struts still gives the skidplate an occasional workout, and I try not to.

MK7 not so low, haven't even scuffed its belly yet.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
All I could find reference to in that link were plastic skid trays from VW. It was very dull reading though, so I didn't read everything. Kinda funny reading folks trying to justify how the reinforced plastic tray they bought is actually better than a real skid plate.
Thanks for sharing that link! I went looking after belly pan, found that AND much more that I'm interested that it seems VW cheaped out on. Closing up, at least the exhaust tunnel seems like a no brainer.

I'd say the reinforced OEM tray is as good as any aftermarket one, based on my reading.

I used GolfDaves info and installed the various parts for better airflow / reduced drag on my GSW.
Its quite stout

Try that with the ECS one.
Thank you very much for these two posts. I was trying to really picture how the reinforced plastic was built or would hold up, that image kind of says it all. I'd have to imagine it's not near as heavy as the metal versions which is good for weight savings AND for removal for us that wrench on our own cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The OEM glass reinforced plastic (GRP) pan/shield is probably middle ground between stock pan and an full blown 3/16’ aluminum pan. The weight is possibly a little less, but by no means is it light, and its very very rigid. With the reinforced mounting brackets up front I’d take the OEM GRP pan over say the thin ECS pan. From what I've read the ECS pan doesn’t include any reinforced support, just the flimsy front bumper valiance and wheel liners. I’d only look at the ECS pan if the stock flimsy pan was damaged and didn’t want to pay for a replacement pan.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
On my 2002 Jetta I had an EVO skidplate and after a few years it showed what had hit the belly pan along the way.

I still remember the time I was wedged between a 3' high concrete barrier immediately to my left and an 18 wheeler to my right when two bricks still held together by mortar appeared in front of me in my lane. No way to avoid it.
Heard the most godawful sound and at the first opportunity I looked underneath the car and all there was, was a long gouge on the EVO skid plate.

Thank you EVOLUTION.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I’d only look at the ECS pan if the stock flimsy pan was damaged and didn’t want to pay for a replacement pan.
ECS hasn't supported TDIClub with Fest Donations for many years. I'm holding out for a Dieselgeek Panzer Plate. I have contacted Jim and Paula and put my name on the list. If enough people express interest to them they will, hopefully, make a MK VII plate.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I also spoke with Jim and none to be had. I bought a used one from a MKVI and it will fit with a little work. Jim told me what was needed but I haven't done it yet. This is for the Beetle and I don't know if it is the same for the other cars. The support posts go where the airbox currently mounts.

Last edited:

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Anyway to get these Atlas plates in Ontario Canada? Shipping would be super pricey otherwise...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Ditto. I didn't see one still on his website, but I'd like something, otherwise, my money goes elsewhere. Skidplates have saved my @ss more than once!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
One chunk of debris, Ice chunk, dead animal or chunk of wood etc in the roadway and your undercarriage will be toast with that cheap plastic splash shield. just my .02 here.
Haha, yup! I made the move to dieselgeek Panzer plates after killing a coon while doing 70. It took out my front bumper, fog light, and totally destroyed my plastic factory skid plate. Who would've known a coon could cause $1800 in damage? Ran over a jack rabbit in the Mk4 Golf (got to see it bounce up from the right to the left in the process). The skid plate did help, as that destroyed my bumper and caused $1000 in damages.

The worst was running over an axle and piece of stair steps from a big rig accident in mom's Jetta (on the way back home after doing a turbo/exhaust upgrade). I definitely heard it rub along the skid plate, but not even a dent on the oil pan!