What did you do to your MK7 today?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I think they're just styling pieces. Otherwise, why wouldn't VW have put them on all of the hatchbacks? Ironically, I've seen some GTI owners remove theirs for styling preferences. Greener grass, right? ;) That said, I like the look of your color-matched pieces.
Ah.... because they (not unlike many ther auto MFG) are cheap. Follow that link to the other forum and look at some of Golfdave's other guides. There are a BUNCH if aero improving mods that VW themselves have designed the parts and left off many, many of their cars. It's weird but not so surprising really.

Have you ever see the fins that over the road trucking companies have added to their trailers? Now, just how much benefit, outside of a wind tunnel lab, we'd get can't really be given with 100% accuracy. I'd argue (in good faith, not angrily) that the look plus aero improvement pushed me to add them. They really did clean up the tail end and I like making my DadWagen look not so mundane. :D

Oh, hey, did you guys know/realize that the alarms in our cars were left deactivated from the factory??? For those of you that have owned any VW's since the MK4's I think, you know the alarm (horn honk and such) will sound if doors are opened after the car is locked. Well, try that on your MK7 GSW and prepare to be disappointed! I'm going to head out to my car after a bit and try to active mine (Ross Tech vagcom) and will report back. There is a thread about it on the other forum with instructions.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm not a fan of areo add-ons: I've always said I didn't want to own any car with a wing, because on the street it has no practical benefit. Which I think is your point about trucks and the areo add-ons some have. The only car I know if with a wing that's useful is a Subaru STI. If you drive on the track the rear of those cars gets light above 100 MPH without the wing, I've been told by several drivers. Not really an issue on the street.

Regarding the add-ons on the wagon, they don't look bad to me. However, unless the car was parked beside one without I'm not sure I'd notice. And it is a Dad Wagon. I don't mind that. I'm a Dad.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not a fan of areo add-ons: I've always said I didn't want to own any car with a wing, because on the street it has no practical benefit. Which I think is your point about trucks and the areo add-ons some have. The only car I know if with a wing that's useful is a Subaru STI. If you drive on the track the rear of those cars gets light above 100 MPH without the wing, I've been told by several drivers. Not really an issue on the street.

Regarding the add-ons on the wagon, they don't look bad to me. However, unless the car was parked beside one without I'm not sure I'd notice. And it is a Dad Wagon. I don't mind that. I'm a Dad.
Ha ha, I'm a Dad too but my car is an extension of me and my coolness. ??

I pile on hwy miles (about 3k a month) so yeah, it's on the hwy more than the "street". I totally get what you are saying with that though and would agree whole heartedly. ??

UPDATE ON ALARM: I did check the coding and indeed the default config was with the "Anti-Theft-System Installed/Active" set to inactive. So to enable this, via vagcom, just go into 09-Cent. Elect., Security Access-16 (code 31347), Coding - 07, Long coding, enable Byte 12, Bit 0, "Anti-Theft-System Installed/Active", ESC, Do it!. You can test after it's done by leaving a window down, locking doors, walk away from the car with your keys/key fob (so the KESSY lock/unlock is out of range) and waiting 5min. Have someone else walk over to car and unlock/open the door from the inside. Once the horn starts to honking, hit unlock on key fob to turn it off.

No clue why they left that inactive but it's an easy update if you have access to vagcom and if not, I bet the dealer would make this update for you and hopefully at no charge.

I also disabled the DRL wink function while I was in there. I did some of Ed's Golf R reps a few weeks back and the wink functionality had always bugged me. Now that I have sexy headlights with the dual U LED DRL I decided it was time to fix that!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do? Took the train 200mi/300KMs to go pick up my 2015 GSW TDi Highline from the dealer! What a nice way to drive home on a Sunday, I'll tell you what.
On the way, started fiddling with the nav and thought I accidentally set the destination to my sister's place. Turns out it was the same street, but down a few doors... The previous owner's address! Sis knows them and put me in touch, so I'm waiting for them to get back to me with the stuff they kept before they took the buyback deal (winter tires, roof racks, winter mats).
Also found out that after them and before me someone took the Fender subwoofer *grr*.
Small world for getting in touch with the PO. Hope you're enjoying your GSW. I've only driven my mother's to the end of the driveway to test VCDS mods, but she loves it. I can't wait until the warranty is up so I can do some serious tuning on it. How many miles did yours have when you bought it, and do you care to share the price?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do today? Got my second key programmed. Stealership (North Park VW in Leon Springs/San Antonio) told me they'd mail us the second key. A few weeks go by, nothing. So I inquire about it. I'm told it's at the local Audi dealership. Nope, they've never had a second key. So North Park orders one. Told me today that it got sent to the Audi dealership by accident. I called bulls**t on that one. Spoke with the parts manager, and he found the key - someone put the salesperson's name on it instead of my mother's name. Went down, got it programmed. Not even an acknowledgement from the salesperson. Probably because I made him look like an @ss in front of his superiors.

And then I got 46.5mpg round trip, even though most of my highway driving was around 85mph!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Got my mom a Stage 2 tune for her birthday yesterday (Friday). She loves it, and is still getting in the mid-40s.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
I actually got the 2" Eco Hitch back at end of June and finally installed it today.It was pretty simple. It's a nice beefy hitch. I was surprised at how little torque was required to break the bumper bolts free-almost seemed they were barely tightened. I tightened the new bolts to the 18ft-lbs the instructions said to tighten to. The piece I had to trim off was only just under 4", and the fit looks great. I just used a utility knife to cut it out. I need to get the wiring hooked up then it's time to look for a trailer.
I was surprised at how little torque was required to remove the bumper bolts too. Do you have pictures of the install?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
What I did was buy a new 2015 SE model GSW in Lakeland, FL and drove it home to Anchorage. We're not talking Kentucky, here. What a great road trip! I hit some specifics in the road trip thread.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I just finished with my installation of R golf seats in my 3015 golf s. The comfort is great. The factory seats are pretty plebian and unconfortable. I love the 12 way adjustments. I had to settle for gti rear seats but they are leather too and same recaro style. Ended up using the original passenger occupancy underseat controller as I couldn't get the r controller to adapt. R seats came out of a 2017.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
I just finished with my installation of R golf seats in my 3015 golf s. The comfort is great. The factory seats are pretty plebian and unconfortable. I love the 12 way adjustments. I had to settle for gti rear seats but they are leather too and same recaro style. Ended up using the original passenger occupancy underseat controller as I couldn't get the r controller to adapt. R seats came out of a 2017.
pics, or it didn't happen.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Ok, I'll try to post the pics tomorrow as soon as I get the back seat bottom in. You can bet your bippy its really happened. What would make you think it didn't?

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Flashed Audi's firmware and now my MFD displays current selected gear (D1,D2...upto D6)in normal drive mode and it displays same in S mode like S1,S2...
Its not gonna make any difference but just did it..:)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At 1200 miles I hd my golf s aligned. Left front was toed out .1 degree, right side toed in .1 degree, resulting in total toe of 0.0 Apparently thats how it left the factory. Reset toe both sides to zero. Result was the understeering stiffness is gone, drives correctly. I would recommend the everyone with a mk7 have their car put on the rack and front toe set to zero. The beam rear axles in these cars is a little weird, although there are no adjustments, its factory set with a small amount of toe, and rather uneven right to left camber, a degree or more. Doesnt seem to affect driving much at all once you get the toe front zeroed. Thats my good deed for my golf today, did it a big favor.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Flashed Audi's firmware and now my MFD displays current selected gear (D1,D2...upto D6)in normal drive mode and it displays same in S mode like S1,S2...
Its not gonna make any difference but just did it..:)
Is there a thread for this mod?

----------------------

What I did tonight was gave the paint some lovin...

Wash, clay bar, Angelwax Perfect Polish, Enigma ceramic wax and Corona on trim. Wax should hold up for 12m, Corona for 6m but I'll redo every 6m anyway out of habit. I hadn't been able to put any of my own protection on it since buying so it was a big day! Ha ha

I did Ed's Golf R headlights awhile back so included that here as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
You guys with the Ed's reps, which bulbs did you go with?

The four D2H choices are Morimoto Elites in 4500, 5500, or 6000K and Hylux in 5500K.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
You guys with the Ed's reps, which bulbs did you go with?

The four D2H choices are Morimoto Elites in 4500, 5500, or 6000K and Hylux in 5500K.
I got the 4500s. HID light output maxes at 4800k. Beyond 5000k total light output actually decreases, plus the bluer element is not so good in moisture. So far I am very pleased with the output of the 4500s.

Most OEM HIDs are 4300k.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
I had 6000k's in mine, and they were pretty good. but put LED bulbs in my wife's Jetta, and big improvement. The LEDs are about the same color temperature, but much more light output, and less draw on the alternator, so win win!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I had 6000k's in mine, and they were pretty good. but put LED bulbs in my wife's Jetta, and big improvement. The LEDs are about the same color temperature, but much more light output, and less draw on the alternator, so win win!
Which LED setup did you buy and how was the install vs the HID install (assuming you are saying you did the Rep projectors in both cars). I may recommend LED to a buddy that wants to put some of these in and see how they are.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the ones I put in the wife's Jetta; COB H7 CSP CREE LED Headlight Bulbs Low Beam Convertion Kit 6000K White. The install is plug and play, except I had to add some plastic pipe in the right size to extend the dust cover on either the high beams, or low beams, I don't remember which, and she is at work now so I can't look, but I seem to remember it was the high beams that lacked room. I used a hole saw, then glued about 3/4 inch of pipe to the cover, then glued the cut out piece to the pipe to seal it back up. These light put out 16,000 lm which lights up the road nicely even on rainy nights. The other side fit with no modifications.

Over the years, I have had quite a few HID conversions, and have had to replace quite a few ballasts. No ballasts with the LEDs, much longer bulb life, and better light out put.

On my pickup, there was less room, and I had to put holes in the radiator support to clear the cooling fans on the back, but well worth the effort. The difference on it was like night and day as the stock lighting was terrible. From now on every car I own will have projectors, and LED bulbs!

Last edited:

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
As soon as I can take some pics, I will be posting my LED tails with wiring harness, and 18 inch GTI wheels for sale, if anyone is interested.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the ones I put in the wife's Jetta; COB H7 CSP CREE LED Headlight Bulbs Low Beam Convertion Kit 6000K White. The install is plug and play, except I had to add some plastic pipe in the right size to extend the dust cover on either the high beams, or low beams, I don't remember which, and she is at work now so I can't look, but I seem to remember it was the high beams that lacked room. I used a hole saw, then glued about 3/4 inch of pipe to the cover, then glued the cut out piece to the pipe to seal it back up. These light put out 16,000 lm which lights up the road nicely even on rainy nights. The other side fit with no modifications.

Over the years, I have had quite a few HID conversions, and have had to replace quite a few ballasts. No ballasts with the LEDs, much longer bulb life, and better light out put.

On my pickup, there was less room, and I had to put holes in the radiator support to clear the cooling fans on the back, but well worth the effort. The difference on it was like night and day as the stock lighting was terrible. From now on every car I own will have projectors, and LED bulbs!
Nice. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
Had my windows tinted 5% the other day and got a sun shade from the dealer. Wish I would have done 15 or 20% in the front but it looks good.

Last edited: