code p0101

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
getting code p0101, maf signal implausible, replaced sensor with a Bosch assembly, clear code, disconnect battery, code comes back after about 10 miles, anyone have a similar problem? wiring checked ok, car runs fine, some said airfilter dirty, cam bad, but it runs good, a dirty filter may cause air bleeds after the sensor, but tract is good, no holes, I'm stumped ! HELP

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
All that code tells you is that the computer sees an implausible airflow. So the troubleshooting is to find what caused the computer to see this. MAF? Certainly possible, but a stuck EGR valve can cause this as well since the computer controls the EGR and it expects to see a certain airflow as it commands the EGR open and closed. Doing some logs and having someone familiar with the results will help you narrow down the true culprit.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Agreed. Also, in addition to EGR control, the MAF can be thrown for an off kilter value if there is the beginnings of a boost leak.

Also, if you are using a generic OBD2 scan tool, you may very well not be getting the whole story from the car.

Freeze frame data, as well as watching some measuring blocks, can point you in the right direction.

WDNM

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI BRM w/ manual
I had this code for awhile. I monitored the MAF with VAGCOM to see if it was working and seemed fine. A couple of things solved my problem, not sure which one or if all helped out.

First, changed out the cam shaft, though this was not only giving a MAF code but on overboost code.

Every once in awhile I drive the car a bit harder, waiting to shift between 3 and 4K. This seemed to help the code stay away after I cleared it.

I had a short in the altitude sensor/boost pressure sensor that went away by fidgeting with the wires at the sensor.

These are kind of a PITA to track down, and seems that the MAF itself is typically not the problem. VAGCOM is a big help.

Good luck.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I wonder if the "pcv" valve enters into the problem, ir has a connector attached and goes into the intake tract after the MAF, does anyone know what the pcv sensor does? I have a catch tank attached to the pcv line to trap some of the oil, but it's been on for over 140000 miles and never had a problem, I replaced the turbo inlet O ring, and the O ring on the pcv valve that goes into the intake tract, which is after the MAF, the tract shows no tears or holes, the pcv looks like a clear shot through, no valve or flapper, has a 2 wire connector attached. Car pulls cleanly to redline, vag-com graphing shows boost and MAF responding with load and rpm changes, no ziggly responses, the code usually comes at cruising, steady speed and rpm, does not happen on fast starts and pulling to redline. Any thoughts?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Only thought is that isn't a PCV sensor but rather, it's a heater. Plug it into the ASV solenoid and see what happens. Not that I know anyone that has done that.

[Whistles innocently]

Fumes

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Wagon
I get the same code once in a while, but I only get the code when decelerating, with the gas peddle totally off. And have to be slowing down from 100km/65 mph, when going slower it won't do it. I also won't do it if the gas peddle is stepped on slightly.

I have changed the MAF but still comes on once in a while.

2006 MK4 Wagon BEW Standard.