Boost drops off, no codes

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I have a Malone stage 2 tune, manual trans Passat with a front mount intercooler.
I have a problem that keeps acting up. sometimes it runs ok. Does not go into limp mode.

Car has great throttle response and boost down low, then drops off next to nothing and kicks back in after 2500 to 3000rpm. Big drop off in power!
No codes stored. I don't have a VCDS yet.

here is what I have done so far. replace some vacuum hoses.

Pulled a vacuum on the VNT actuator to see if it moves freely and holds a vacuum.
checked the one way valve in the vacuum line
changed the N75 valve
changed the MAP sensor
Had the EGR valve out to clean
checked the vacuum ball for leaks

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
Update

decided to try another MAP sensor
Holds boost now, but goes into limp mode after you shut it off and restart it sometimes.
runs strong now!
Going to run a scan with my generic scanner and see if I got anything.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have had this issue before. There was a hairline split in the vacuum hose on the waste gate. Until vacuum increased enough to close the split boost would not come on until 2500+ rpm.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Same issue, will have to check.

Not sure its not two, the floor matt seems to slip and jam the pedal.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
I keep forgetting to look.

I have been ramping up the engine and going full boost, idea to cycle the turbo mechanism.

That seems to have stopped it, though its been eratic in occurring as well.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
My Passat is running really great for the most part. When you restart it sometimes it is in limp mode and you have to shut it down and restart again. I've been to busy to dig any deeper right now. Hopefully I'll have more free time soon.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Same issue, will have to check.
Not sure its not two, the floor matt seems to slip and jam the pedal.
:eek: Proceed to your nearest Toyota dealer ASAP and they will forcefully rip that baby maiming people killing floor mat out of your car for you. Tell them you are even more mentally challenged than your average Toyota driver and they will perform the task as a public service for free. Darwin may have his day, but not on Toyota's watch.......................

Last edited:

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned out my map sensor was bad. Got a new Bosch sensor and no more problems. The other sensors were another brand.