Help! TDI lost power with white smoke

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi everyone,
I hope the new year is treating you well. My family and I are on a road trip from California to Texas in our 2003 Jetta TDI. Today while going up a hill, the car seemed to lose power and didn't really recover (wife was driving). We stopped a truck stop to troubleshoot and I noticed the car is producing a ton of white smoke. Otherwise the engine starts fine and doesn't sound bad (thinking that there might be some other obvious sign if it was a head of injector).
My instinct is that the turbo is either out or on it's way. I would appreciate any troubleshooting tips, as we're stuck about 2 hours from a "big" town and I only have basic tools.
TIA!
--phil

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Hi everyone,
I hope the new year is treating you well. My family and I are on a road trip from California to Texas in our 2003 Jetta TDI. Today while going up a hill, the car seemed to lose power and didn't really recover (wife was driving). We stopped a truck stop to troubleshoot and I noticed the car is producing a ton of white smoke. Otherwise the engine starts fine and doesn't sound bad (thinking that there might be some other obvious sign if it was a head of injector).
My instinct is that the turbo is either out or on it's way. I would appreciate any troubleshooting tips, as we're stuck about 2 hours from a "big" town and I only have basic tools.
TIA!
--phil
Are you loosing coolant or is it unburned fuel? If it's fuel you need to look at your timing belt and see if you're timing is moving. How many miles on the engine? How many timing belts on the cam? Are your injection pump bolts tight

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Check all your intake connections from outlet on the compressor to the intake manifold. Are you up on all your service, intake cleaning, crankcase vent system, timing belt?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Are you loosing coolant or is it unburned fuel? If it's fuel you need to look at your timing belt and see if you're timing is moving. How many miles on the engine? How many timing belts on the cam? Are your injection pump bolts tight
The smoke is white, so I'm assuming it's not fuel.

I haven't had time to check anything, as we needed to figure out hotel, etc before nightfall. I will check coolant tomorrow but I have not noticed it being lower.

140,000 miles and it's on the second timing belt. I had it inspected and adjusted about 10,000 miles ago.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
The smoke is white, so I'm assuming it's not fuel.

I haven't had time to check anything, as we needed to figure out hotel, etc before nightfall. I will check coolant tomorrow but I have not noticed it being lower.

140,000 miles and it's on the second timing belt. I had it inspected and adjusted about 10,000 miles ago.
Unburned fuel will be white, that's a sign of low compression or very late injection and either should make it run pretty bad.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Are you up on all your service, intake cleaning, crankcase vent system, timing belt?
Service is current. Intake has not been cleaned in a while. I have one of the aftermarket billet crankcase vents. Will check those items.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Look around the glow plugs and injectors for signs of carbon or leaking,

Do you have a check engine light

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Maybe unlikely, but look at the timing pump pulley and see if it looks like it has moved.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe unlikely, but look at the timing pump pulley and see if it looks like it has moved.

That's where my bet would be, IP pulley bolts came loose of has moved for whatever reason...

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Be sure and check your timing! Line up the mark on the flywheel and look to see if the alignment hole in the pump lines up. If the belt has jumped one tooth it could cause the problem maybe without damage yet. If it has jumped it would be on the crank pulley. May want to try and get a mirror with a light down in there to look at the timing belt tensioner and see if the marks are where they are supposed to be.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
VAG COM reading

Sunday,20,January,2019,18:50:06:47956

VCDS Release 18.9.1 (x64): Generic OBD2

Mode 03: Emission related fault codes

Address 0A (Engine): 2 Faults Found:

P0252 - Injection Pump A Rotor/Cam: Range/Performance (Injection timing out of range)

P0299 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Put a 22mm wrench on the IP nut and see if it moves independent of the pulley. Might be a 21mm, been a while

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It's definitely a 22, good memory :)

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Just for clarification, is it being suggested that the injection pump has shifted one tooth?

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Not the pump, but a tooth on the crank pulley.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Pump and cam should still be in time with each other, but the crank would not be.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
You can verify that by lining up the timing mark on the flywheel and then check the pump alignment hole.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If that is actually what happened, I’m amazed that it starts and runs with a seemingly normal idle. Albeit a smoky one.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
May have to turn the motor another full turn if you don’t see the hole in the correct position the first time.