www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 20th, 2019, 16:10   #31
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's a pretty decent price on a 17" tire. I went through five sets on my golf. The original Continentals wore quite well (~40k miles) , but had pretty lackluster grip and were the worst all seasons in snow I've ever had. Then I got some very grippy & cheap summer tires, some Chinese brand, and those were a HUGE improvement in the grip department. But they were soft and barely made it through 20k miles. Tires are always a compromise between price, performance, and longevity.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 16:45   #32
bizzle
Veteran Member

There's a lot of debate about tires, like oil, but the thing to remember is ratings and warranties are variable across the industry. The warranties and tread numbers aren't useful comparisons across companies.

I just ran outside to snap two pictures for you. One of these is an AVID with 50K on it and the other is an ADVAN with 15K on it.

The tire with 50K on it will have to be replaced due to age before mileage.

The Yokos were the same price as you're saying those Nexen are. If I had to choose between a premium tire from a budget tire company like Nexen and a mid-grade tire from a top tier tire company like Yokohama, then I'd only choose the budget tire if I was saving considerable money.

Last edited by bizzle; January 20th, 2019 at 16:47.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 08:05   #33
ProfBrown

Fuel Economy: In the sig

Yeah tires can be an interesting beast for sure. Jumped down the rabbit whole on my truck when I was doing research on what tires to get and I assume I will do the same with this car more so when the time comes.
Believe my car was in the middle of a regen this morning on the way to work. Was high idling in gear at about 1k which I had read on a thread means it is in regen. Unfortunately, the drive to work is only 25 miles and it was a bit cooler this morning and the morning commute is down hill so for about 10 of those miles the car isnt even at operating temp.
Is that the only way to know the car is in regen? I could have sworn on some cars they have a regen light come on telling you the vehicle is in regen mode, mostly diesel 2500 trucks if memory serves.
So a couple questions regarding regen. About how long does it last, what are the conditions it requires, how bad for the car is it to shut it off during regen (I have heard of some people saying if they do it a lot it will throw a code), generally how long does it take to finish a regen. I am assuming it will try and do it again on the way home which should be about 2:15 pm PST so it should be warm enough to start up rather quickly, and then it is another 25 mile trip home, hope that is long enough for it to finish.
Will be blacking out the Golf and the TDI badge this Thursday with a kind of spray on vinyl which I was told isn't sticky or tacky like plasti-dip. I will post pics. I also heard back from two of the three tint companys I reached out to. One of them quoted me $259 for all the windows (every window minus the windshield) for Lumar tint, while another quoted me $270 for "Phantom Nano Ceramic Carbon Film". I am pretty sure in the past I have had Lumar but never the latter option, from quick reading online it suggests that it does a better job at blocking the harmful UV rays, but allows more visible light in that its competitors. Anyone know if this is true/have experience with this kinds stuff to shed some light on the situation?
Old January 22nd, 2019, 09:59   #34
ProfBrown

Ohh and one question regarding the emissions stuff on the car. Before I go pop the hood to see what should say I only have phase 1 of the emissions fix (according to the sales lady that sold me the car) anyone else have a 15 GSW that doesnít have phase 2 done? From my readings the last of the phase 2 letters should be sent out by June/July this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 22nd, 2019, 11:38   #35
bizzle
Veteran Member

If you're waiting for a letter, I don't think you'll be getting one.
Just call Murrieta and give them your VIN to schedule phase 2 because it's been ready and available since last year.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 19:33   #36
ProfBrown

Default ProfBrown's 2015 GSW TDI Build

That is what I had thought. The sales lady said (and yeah trust or donít trust lol) that phase 2 wasnít out yet for my car and that I would get notified soon. I suppose Iíll call and set it up but also tell them to have a passenger side tail light ready to be put in as well, this one has some condensation build up when a bit on the colder side. Shown in pic.

Also got the windows tinted today. Was just shy of $240 for Llumar tint on all but the windshield. Limo on the back and 15% on the front sides. Yes I know itís dark, but in the town I am from itís about average honestly, if not in the lighter side.

Old January 22nd, 2019, 19:47   #37
bizzle
Veteran Member

Just looks darker because of the white paint

There are some differences in your settlement terms because of the low mileage and CPO status. I'm not aware of them because I haven't bothered to read terms that don't apply to me, but they should be explained in the pamphlet that's supposed to be in the rest of your car's literature package.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 06:35   #38
740GLE
Veteran Member

the head lamps and rear lamps aren't water tight/sealed units so it maybe just from recent rain in the area and will dry out.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 07:37   #39
ProfBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
the head lamps and rear lamps aren't water tight/sealed units so it maybe just from recent rain in the area and will dry out.

Okay so if this is semi normal behavior I wonít do anything about it. My truck did it for a while and itís not like condensation is unheard of in other makers. Thanks for the heads up! Iíll still bring it up to them when I am in the dealer next time to see what they say

Old January 23rd, 2019, 19:11   #40
bigb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
I guess the doors aren't either. I noticed water on the inside of the door thresholds after sitting in the rain all night. Never seen that before on my other vehicles. It's as if the water ran in at the window seals and dripped through the doors, exiting at the bottom onto the thresholds.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 19:50   #41
ssffnomad
Veteran Member

Thatís not good, good luck sir
ssffnomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 20:38   #42
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I guess the doors aren't either. I noticed water on the inside of the door thresholds after sitting in the rain all night. Never seen that before on my other vehicles. It's as if the water ran in at the window seals and dripped through the doors, exiting at the bottom onto the thresholds.
I use https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148.../dp/B004B8GTQG on all my rubber seals
Old January 23rd, 2019, 20:40   #43
ProfBrown

Got some of that stuff in a subscription box back when I had one, never used it. Guess I have another thread idea to ask people... Who has a subscription box of some sort for cars?

Old January 23rd, 2019, 20:50   #44
bizzle
Veteran Member

There isn't much to subscribe to for our cars, in my opinion.

I get all my maintenance needs from the vendors here and other than that bottle (which has lasted me years), and some optilube (which I probably won't buy again after it's run out), and wear parts there isn't much else to do other than fuel and drive.

Just keeping the vehicle maintained should last well into your family years and beyond. Probably get bored of it before needing replacement, but your kids will get the ole wagon one day. Many of us bought these CR TDIs with an expectation that it will last us the next few decades--some people plan on it being their last car.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 20:52   #45
ProfBrown

The subscriptions services like many others send you clothes or stickers or stuff like that in addition to say leather wipes or rust prevention spray and stuff like that, or a brochure about a certain car and itís history. I think it was called gears or something like that, maybe gear box?