www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 19th, 2019, 18:02   #16
ProfBrown

Fuel Economy: In the sig

Now that you bring you bring it up, I do have a double usb from cig lighter plug... and I have a short braided iPhone cable. Perfect man thanks for reminding me lol. I should really dig through the small stuff I pulled out of my truck and find a home for it in the new whip.

Side note, found some wheels like like, but they are 18 inches and too pricey for my my blood! Nuespeed RSE12. Saw them in gunmetal on a dark grey/black car on custom offset... if only they were in a 17 and not over 250 a wheel... dang near BBS pricing there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 19th, 2019, 19:13   #17
bizzle
Veteran Member

Have you thought about wrapping the wheels you have in black vinyl?
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 21:04   #18
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Check out the Monte Titano MT6 Vita wheels. They are somewhat similar to the rse12's but only $150 each. I really dig the MT1 Piana's, but I'm a sucker for 5 spokes.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 01:15   #19
ProfBrown

I too like those Monte Titano MT6 Vita wheels. Only issue is they donít make them in a black!

Yes I have thought about doing something for the factory wheels, but 2 of them have a very slight curb rash, and while they are nice, they are not what I want on the car honestly. Even if they were black. I plan on holding onto then for a while since we have some space on our land out where I live.

Old January 20th, 2019, 10:51   #20
ProfBrown

Ok so I found what looks to be a rather well made much cheaper "knock off" style of the RSe12 wheels that I was talking about liking! As this is a daily, and not a track car, cheap yet reliable is the goal, and uber lightweight ins't a necessity. I really like the look of the RSe12s in the 17 inch size with +45mm offset, but I do not want to pay the premium for the name and the uber light weight wheel (only 19 lbs in the 17 inch rim for under $300! That is a deal for a sexy wheel like that!).

So I did some digging and I have found this! The Motegi MR118 in matte black of course (17x8), gotta stay with the storm trooper image I have in my brain! Cheap as hell by comparison at less than half of the RSe12. It has a +45mm offset so I can retain factory fitment/tire size, and weighs about 22 lbs with a load rating of 1580lbs according to their site, some pretty good numbers.

I would likely be going through Americas Tire as they seem to have the best price by about $20-30 a rim! And at that price maybe the wheels will happen sooner than 6 months lol. I'll sit on it a little to make sure they are the wheel of my choice but I am really liking the style and price point!
https://www.americastire.com/buy-whe...-mr118/p/20191
Old January 20th, 2019, 11:35   #21
bizzle
Veteran Member

Don't underestimate the value of lighter wheels even in daily driving. One of the worst MPG offenders is unsprung weight (like wheels and tires). Cheap aftermarket wheels owe their affordability to the materials used and that's also something to consider when you're driving on bumpy, dirt roads. If you like RSe12s, there is a red set for $600 in that group you joined.

Unless the guys at AT are going to do it for free, you're looking at nearly $100 bucks to R&R tires from four wheels onto four new wheels. The vinyl option I mentioned is $30 bucks for enough material to do all 4 wheels. Even if the style of your wheels are bugging you, that'll get you through to your next set tires (and your manager buddy at AT can probably swing you a better package deal or keep his eyes out for a used set).

If you haven't poked around on the site I mentioned earlier, VWVortex has a section specifically for SoCal and a section specifically for 5x112 wheels.
Old January 20th, 2019, 11:43   #22
ProfBrown

I will defiantly look more into that for sure. Seems 22 is still on the lighter side and with that load rating they should be strong enough from some quick reading of guys talking about it in NJ. Gone are the days of me bombing the dirt road i live down. Now itís 25-30 at most. I will keep digging for sure but you bring up a good point about a package deal on wheels and tires. When I got my tires and wheels on my truck the first go around I got almost $400 in rebate cards a month or so later... probably best to wait and maybe see if they can get the RSe 12 wheels too. The higher the amount purchase the more rebates so there is some gain to the idea of going with a more expensive wheel/tire package to a point.

Which brings me to my next question, tire recommendations for the eventual need of tires? I like to be prepped with a choice so I donít binge on reading before I make the decision if that makes sense.

Also talked to a buddy about wrapping the badges and wheels on my car. He likes to do it for free I just pay him for the materials. At the least I want the badges done, but with maybe putting off the wheel purchase, wrapping the wheels and covering the slight curb rash from the previous owner would be best as recommended!

Old January 20th, 2019, 12:15   #23
bizzle
Veteran Member

hey, now! I'm just making suggestions, no reason to get defiant

The absolute best wheels I have used on my VWs have been Yokohamas. On my BMWs I used to run Falkens because they were good for the money and it didn't matter what we put on they were toast after a season (kinda like skateboarding; didn't matter what shoes we bought they were all going to fall apart quickly anyway so might as well just get the cheapest and run them until they literally fell apart).

The ones on my bug are Avids. The last time I replaced them the tread still looked new but they were cracked from sun damage and were about a decade old. I had them replaced under warranty and 50K later the tread still looks new. I keep them at 50psi. I'll have to replace them due to age before anything else.

They don't make them in 18s so I asked the manager at AT what he thought and he suggested Advan Sport A/S for the wagon. I haven't noticed any wear in 15K miles. Ride/grip has been great and road noise is minimal. I think recommended pressure is 38 but I keep mine at 44psi.

The only thing I can tell you about tires other than my experience is what I remember from my dad telling me decades ago when I watched him lay a ridiculous amount of cash (to my young eyes at the time) on the counter for two tires (for his Harley): "these are the only things between my butt and the ground."

BTW, when I talk about unsprung weight, the last time I dug around it seemed like the theory was 4lbs for every 1lb unsprung so a 4lb wheel and tire difference would be about 16-20lbs per corner. That said, the OE wheels are heavy.

Last edited by bizzle; January 20th, 2019 at 12:19.
Old January 20th, 2019, 12:19   #24
ProfBrown

Default ProfBrown's 2015 GSW TDI Build

This is true and that is why I like to do my research earlier. ATs website is pushing a Continental tire that is a sport all season with a 45k warranty for about 133 a tire. Tread patch looks good but it all depends on how the Nexens wear and live in this car I guess. If I get good life and minimal if at all noise out of the current tires I have Iíd be more than happy to look into another set if they arenít to expensive. One set of the Nexen tires only showed a 25k warranty so I hope I didnít get stuck with those lol.

Here is a pic of one of the wheels with a tad bit of curb rash. The marks on the spoke seem superficial. Can barely feel it. The ones on the outer edge are more jagged ish.

Old January 20th, 2019, 12:26   #25
ProfBrown

Also correct me if I am wrong, but the idparts site has service kits listed for oil change (10k), 20k service kit, and 40k service. As I am approaching the 60k mark if I was an original owner I would jump on the 20k service kit correct? So the order should be oil change>20k>oil change>40k then start over? Just making sure I understand. If this is true it keeps the services at a nice round number and easy to plan for without getting lost in the mix of life lol.

If that is true, I will probably jump on that service schedule just for ease of memory honestly. So in about 4K mike I will probably order the 20k service kit.

Looking over the dealer logs when I got the car, I canít find a note about a fuel filter change at that 55,900 mile mark when they got it.

Old January 20th, 2019, 12:30   #26
bizzle
Veteran Member

The Advans are about $100 per tire in 17s. I wouldn't do anything with those Nexens other than run them until they're done (rotating every 5K). They used to be Korean budget tires, I don't know what they are now. Hyundai used to be a running joke akin to riding in a tin can but now they're leading the industry in customer satisfaction, safety, and warranty so things change.

My wagon came with Chinese no-names (or crazy name however you define it). They were new but I took them off and gave them to AT for whatever the manager was wiling to give me for them (not much, it was a favor).

I'm not a fan of Conti tires due to cost vs. performance. That's not to say higher performance tires aren't worth paying for if they're in your budget, but I don't think Conti lands the sweet spot for me often. I do tend to err on the side of mileage rather than performance, though, my vehicles are freeway fliers not track rats. Been there, done that; still enjoy it but not in my family cars or on city streets.

Regardless, you have a friend in the shop. Lean on him rather than their website or promos. He sees thousands more than you or I will ever see.
Old January 20th, 2019, 13:14   #27
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfBrown View Post
Also correct me if I am wrong, but the idparts site has service kits listed for oil change (10k), 20k service kit, and 40k service. As I am approaching the 60k mark if I was an original owner I would jump on the 20k service kit correct? So the order should be oil change>20k>oil change>40k then start over? Just making sure I understand. If this is true it keeps the services at a nice round number and easy to plan for without getting lost in the mix of life lol.

If that is true, I will probably jump on that service schedule just for ease of memory honestly. So in about 4K mike I will probably order the 20k service kit.

Looking over the dealer logs when I got the car, I can’t find a note about a fuel filter change at that 55,900 mile mark when they got it.

You have the service intervals correct. If you have documentation that your DSG was serviced correctly at 40K, then you are due for the 20K service kit.

Search the forums for how to do those services and decide whether you want to do them yourself. There are threads on how to do them with and without VCDS so you can make an informed decision on whether you want to invest in a diagnostic cable from Ross-Tech. Changing a fuel filter by the book, for example, requires the cable.
Old January 20th, 2019, 13:18   #28
ProfBrown

Default ProfBrown's 2015 GSW TDI Build

That is my plan for tires honestly. Get a recommendation from them. They did well by recommending the cheap tires my girl has on her car now so I trust them. Plus I know my guy wonít screw me. Also found another wheel I like. TSW Nurburgring (17x8 +42mm) Even lighter than the Duespeed RSe12 which is 19 lbs at 18 lbs for the TSW. Just looking for now but there are a few choices I am liking! And the TSW is cheaper by about 40 bucks a week compared to the RSe12 as well. Still more than I would ideally want to spend lol.

Edit: The TSW wheel is listed on their site as a matte gunmetal but looks more like a matte black in their picture. Kinda odd but when Iím ready Iíll need to dig more on that. And also has a load rating of about 1350 which is far lower than others. Would possibly be worried about strength?

Dang that is news to me.. little bit of a suckish thing but I known Iíll save untold hundreds doing it myself than laying someone else to do it, so that already saves me the cost of the cable after 1 or 2 service periods...

Last edited by ProfBrown; January 20th, 2019 at 13:23.
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 15:35   #29
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I can totally see why you want to replace the existing wheels. I wouldn't waste my time wrapping or dipping those. Maybe those treatments hold up better out there, but the ones I've seen around here start looking pretty ratty within a year or so.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 15:44   #30
ProfBrown

Yeah I know plastidip doesnít look all that good, but the vinyl I would just pay my friend for material. Worse case I pull the vinyl off, and thatís easier than the plastidip. Waiting for my buddy to let me know the cost of materials before I make a decision.

Just got quoted for $259 for the tint from one of the many companies local. Looks kinda low at first glance, so weíll see what the other quotes are.

Also looked up the tires the dealer out on. They are Nexen N5000 Plus tires. On Nexenís website shows a 65k treadwear warranty and is actually related as one of their better tires for comfort and quiet road noise if any. If they live their 65k life, stay quiet, and grippy enough, I donít see a reason to not get them again Especially at the price they are at for about $100 a tire.