Ahu dropped a valve. What should I be expecting to have to do?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
New or rebuild head, frank06 is great but his lead time might be a bit longer than normal. Pull the connecting arm and blueprint the crank for this cylinder, blueprint the connecting rod too. Return with result.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
  1. Drain oil.
  2. Drop pan.
  3. Remove damaged piston and connecting rod.
  4. Inspect cylinder bore for damage and measure for diameter and taper.
  5. Cross hatch hone cylinder block if bore is not damaged and within dimensional limits.
  6. Inspect connecting rod for being bent.
Should get you started without spending money yet.

Last edited:

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I strongly doubt the lower end would suffer any damage from one little valve. That being said I would source a good used or new head and send it.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
^^?? :confused:

dude rods need to be checked after dropped valve(s). 2:that piston may be gone. if you drop one valve you usually lose at least one more.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I strongly doubt the lower end would suffer any damage from one little valve. That being said I would source a good used or new head and send it.
Other than a BENT CONNECTING ROD the lower end should be fine.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
^not a given mr.rattler, seems if you part a rod and such, its recommended a new bearing. that motor seems to have a good amount of use. you can decide how much you want to do,,etc. but head is off.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
half the time i pull a piston and rod from a valve hit like OP's, i find that the wrist pin has a scuff and or dent mark like wear . Not all the time, more so on small engines like dirt bikes because of the higher rpm maybe.
Still, you want to blue print that engine if your planning on fixing it. like Ol'Rattler said in #3, do those things first as they are the best and cheapest way to find out if its worth saving. then start blueprinting the entire engine. nothings worse than rebuilding only to have something go wrong because you didnt catch a issue that is invisible to the eye!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Oh, the carnage. I'd be looking for another motor to drop in personally. That hole is probably gouged to hell. Easiest to just swap in a runner.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
IIRC the rods and maybe pistons are weighed and you'll need to find a matched set to replace the damaged ones. Carefully check the cylinder bore, the smallest fragment can do extensive damage. I think Frank has a supply of pistons / rods of various weights.

Sorry this happened to you, it's not all that common but you do run across cases of dropped valves from time to time.

Steve