www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 18th, 2019, 07:52   #1
ESmith813

Default New Manual SEL GSW Owner

Every since having a MkIV GTI VR6, I've always had a soft spot for VWs. Being a Volvo enthusiast at heart, it's been about a decade or so since I've had my own VW, but have had plenty in the family. Last year I found an SEL wagon for my friend and drove it from PA to TX with him. Ever since I couldn't help thinking what a great daily driver the car makes.

Fast forward to the present when I've sold one of our V8 Volvos (the S80) and found this equally hard to find TDI. It took a lot of searching to find exactly what I wanted, but I couldn't be happier with it. I'm very picky and needed to have a manual SEL with lighting and driver's assistance packages. After a few dealers laughed at me saying I would never find one, this popped up a few hours from my house!

Here's the Volvo fleet too in case anyone's interested:

So far the difference between ~20MPG on premium gas to ~45MPG on diesel has me elated. Everything else I love about the car is just a bonus on top of that.

I'll be looking into tint, snow tires and some other OEM+ additions (homelink dimming mirror and VCDS mainly), but otherwise will be looking forward to driving the car as is and learning more about TDIs in general.
ESmith813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 08:10   #2
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

That car is a winner. Nice find. Great color too. Those cars were about $25k and hard to find when I was considering them. Has the market softened at all?
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 08:13   #3
BMAN

Nice looking car. I too found what I was looking for about 3 hrs from me. 15 Golf TDI SEL LP DAP in the color I was after. Mine came with two new snow tires on the front which I'm really not going to need. Enjoy the new ride

Last edited by BMAN; January 18th, 2019 at 08:59.
BMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 08:24   #4
ESmith813

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
That car is a winner. Nice find. Great color too. Those cars were about $25k and hard to find when I was considering them. Has the market softened at all?

Only ever so slightly. haha This had 45K and I got it for $20K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
Nice look car. I too found what I was looking for about 3 hrs from me. 15 Golf TDI SEL LP DAP in the color I was after. Mine came with two new snow tires on the front which I'm really not going to need. Enjoy the new ride

I almost pulled the trigger on a Golf, but there just something about a manual wagon I can't say no to. I've got family in Annapolis and the DC area. Snow tires are a plus, but I agree they're definitely not necessary down there.
Old January 18th, 2019, 09:07   #5
BMAN

Quote:
I almost pulled the trigger on a Golf, but there just something about a manual wagon I can't say no to. I've got family in Annapolis and the DC area. Snow tires are a plus, but I agree they're definitely not necessary down there.
I have something else to drive in bad weather. The LP/DAP was something I was after and it was hard to find both. I found mine in Western MD at a Jeep/Dodge dealership.
BMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 11:06   #6
AGOODHI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MKVII GSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmith813 View Post
I'm very picky and needed to have a manual SEL with lighting and driver's assistance packages. After a few dealers laughed at me saying I would never find one, this popped up a few hours from my house!

Nice find! Wish mine was a stick!

AGOODHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 13:06   #7
Nutty 5.0
Veteran Member

Welcome! Nice find and color!

Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 13:11   #8
Jetter_Sprinta
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: Better than a Prius ;-)

Is this the one from Whappenger's Falls? GSWs look so good in dark blue (and red!)
Old January 18th, 2019, 13:16   #9
bizzle
Veteran Member

Awesome colors inside and out, great features...I'm jelly!

Happy wife and all that but I do wish mine was manual.
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 14:10   #10
gwc

Fuel Economy: 48-50 mpg

Nice car man!
gwc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 17:01   #11
mxtdiguy
Veteran Member

Love the two tone SEL seats ! Congrats !
mxtdiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 22:11   #12
Sunnyb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 GSW

Nice car, they are awesome. Don't crash it! They aren't makeing anymore because VW is stupid!

Seriously, my 2015 GSW SE 6MT is one of my favorite cars that I have ever owned.

Sadly, they stopped making them because of the emission scandal. I'm sure the EV cars will fill the gap.

Anyways, enjoy the car. I plan I driving my into the ground.
Sunnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 17:31   #13
sapgar
Veteran Member

Thatís an awesome find. There was a red SEL manual and a red SE manual in the Denver area, but I cared more about color than transmission and bought a gray SE with DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sapgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 17:32   #14
sapgar
Veteran Member

There were ample MT Gen 1, but I preferred the MK7 for many reasons

sapgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 09:41   #15
ESmith813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetter_Sprinta View Post
Is this the one from Whappenger's Falls? GSWs look so good in dark blue (and red!)
Yes it was! This is actually the third TDI wagon that myself or friends or family bought from them. They seem to cater to the enthusiasts a bit more than other VW dealers that I've experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapgar View Post
Thatís an awesome find. There was a red SEL manual and a red SE manual in the Denver area, but I cared more about color than transmission and bought a gray SE with DSG.

I came very close to buying the red Denver one and shipping it. It's missing the DAP, but red was my second choice. They told me to bark up another tree when I tried to negotiate at all. Two days later they randomly dropped the price to BELOW what I was asking for and never contacted me. All worked out for me in the end, since the one I bought was cheaper, closer and my first choice anyway.