What do you think?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I am possibly looking at this car below. What do you guys think? I joined the forum to pick your brains and see what you guys think of this car and if I should jump or hold off. Main reason I am tossing around the idea to get into a more economical car such as this is my $500-600 a month gas bill driving this pig is gonna bury me... while a 40+mpg diesel wagon with a stock for fun is gonna help me float. Guess I need to start adulting lol.

Here is the link to the car. A 2015 VW TDI Golf Sportswagon S trim level with the 6 speed manual. What are the fears if any with this model, and does this price seem good to you? This will be a car that will get daily driven about 25-30k a year if not more and no real mod plans other than headlight bulbs and maybe wheels down the road? To note I will be driving down 6 miles of dirt daily. It is maintained but not perfect by a good bit. Other than that just streets of California to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Looks like a pretty nice car to me! I recently purchased a '13 JSW w/pano roof and nav. for $11,300 and it has 57k miles. If you want comparisons- check Ebay as there's a lot showing up there lately.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Thanks I will check. I will has to trade in my truck so I’ll need a dealer that offers purchasing my car. As a side note the car I first posted has been sold as of today I guess... what about this one now? From what I can tell 2015 marks a year of extra hp and some interior changes as well as the. And change from Jetta wagon to Golf wagon I 2015 as well. Anything else? The pano roof looks cool but in my older bmw that I had I hardly used it... also a pano roof puts it at above my budget.

Yes I know this like is priced rather high, kbb has it listed at about 13k even if it’s at a CPO dealer. And this has no indication of being a CPO that I saw when I was looking at it quickly.

https://www.ibuycleancars.com/vehicle-details/89290ed21f2e455eb5325e39c26b291b

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Gonna take a look at this one tomorrow after work. This is an auto, but has the pano roof, higher mileage but it’s a CPO from a VW dealer with a good review base. CPO could be a good thing I would think. Also white is preferable since I live down a dirt road and the 15 plus interiors are a bit nicer and more updated...

https://www.vwofmurrieta.com/certif...rieta-ca-1b9cde8d0a0e0ae8191a5c0f384407e4.htm

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Nice one. I really like my light colored interior. It won't get so hot in the sun. And it's easy to find things when you drop them. You do have to clean it occasionally.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Adam, make sure you read up and know the differences between MkVI and MkVII (2015). It may have an impact on how you're considering your comparisons.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Adam, make sure you read up and know the differences between MkVI and MkVII (2015). It may have an impact on how you're considering your comparisons.

Could you possibly summarize some of the biggest differences? I will do some reason on it yes, but hearing it from a source directly might be a good bit of information I miss.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lots of differences. In fact, not much is similar. MKVII is on VW's latest MQB platform, has a trailing arm rear suspension instead of IRS, interior is different. The MKVI engine is a newer version, EA288, with an air to water intercooler and different injectors that run at lower pressure. 10 more HP, same torque.

Having said that, both are good cars with good drivetrains. I suggest you drive both and see which one you prefer. Some people prefer the VI over the VII. Not me. But your opinion is what matters.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah I was just reading up on the training arm vs true ifs. As this will be a daily and to be entirely honest not plans on making her fast or sit low, the stock suspension as long as it rides well on daily roads will not bother me at all. After all, if I go with an auto I’m not really going for a track car anyways regardless of if the DSG is faster around a track. Just not my style.

My main concerns are for mechanical reliability between the two. If you had the money to buy either, and you were in a college kids shoes needing a far more economical car that sees 6 miles of decent, but high traveled dirt road and a car that will do about 500-600 miles a week (conservative numbers), what would you buy... and why.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Truthfully? I'd buy the best '02/03 MKIV Jetta Wagon you could find, do all the catch up maintenance it needs, and put a 1" lift on it to handle the dirt roads. You'll spend less $$, and if you have a good guru near you (I don't know where in CA you are) the car will be every bit as reliable as the MKVI or VII. I own both, and if you put a gun to my head and told me I could only keep one, it would probably be the MKIV, despite it having nearly 380K miles on it.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I have thought about that and thought about getting a cheaper Honda/Toyota, but the newer creature comforts are getting nice.. and I have a girlfriend with a certain taste lol. Also I have read up on the DSG needing frequent fluid and filter changes, I can do that unless it’s rocket science. I am handy. Did all the work on the truck posted. And more was done than you can see.

Edit: I am in the Temecula area between San Diego and LA.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
At 40K miles, I wouldn't call the DSG service "frequent"...

I have thought about that and thought about getting a cheaper Honda/Toyota, but the newer creature comforts are getting nice.. and I have a girlfriend with a certain taste lol. Also I have read up on the DSG needing frequent fluid and filter changes, I can do that unless it’s rocket science. I am handy. Did all the work on the truck posted. And more was done than you can see.

Edit: I am in the Temecula area between San Diego and LA.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
While I agree with you, compared to my truck that is frequent. But then again, my truck is a torque converter style not s dual clutch. So less complicated from my extremely limited understanding of automatic transmissions. But then again, also from my reading, the DSG is built more like a manual than an standard auto huh?

Also as a side note, from increased reading, the MK7 has a quieter road noise which is an unneeded yet welcomed bonus, and the seats may or may not be better for someone of my size? About 6’3 and 255ish. I also highly doubt it will squeak as much as an American made full size pickup truck so the squeaks i doubt will bother me. Not seeing anything in my reading to steer me away from either models honestly. Just slight pluses going toward the MK7 for fit and finish and interior appearance/comfort.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
That 40k interval comes up fast when you put on 25k a year. I couldn't wait to get rid of my old Jetta and buy the new GSW with a 6MT. I spent a ton of money getting that DSG serviced and I don't miss spending that money.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I’ll do the service myself. Says it’s about 100 bucks. And yeah I’d do it every year if I am doing 30k a hear. Just to be safe I suppose. But still 100 bucks and you keep smooth, quick and crisp shifts doesn’t sound bad. Plus, my girlfriend likes if I hold her hand while I drive, and with a manual in town that ain’t gonna happen lol. Plus if we go take a night out and I’m too tired to drive or tipsy, she could drive if need be and be far more comfortable. Also the remote start sounds really nice. Get some temp into the motor and trans before I start climbing the hills around my house. Could click it on while I’m brushing my teeth before I leave like I do currently on my GMC. Oddly enough I’ll have to say it, there are some bonuses to the auto if it’s as good as the forums say...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm not aware of a good guru where you are, and that's a huge factor in buying an older TDI. So it you don't go that way I prefer the MKVII to the VI. I've owned both and think the MVII has a stiffer platform, is quieter, and I prefer the EA288 engine, although the big factor for me is the absence of intercooler icing. Probably not an issue for you.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah I live in an area that does get a tad bit of snow, not a lot by any means. Most other states would laugh at me lol. But it has been as cold as 9 degrees that I know of. Hot as 100 or so.

I had also heard of the stiffer chassis and general creature comfort of noise cancellation being better on the MKVII

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think you'd be happy with a late mkvi ('13,'14) or a mkvii ('15). The '15's do come with a better warranty generally.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
That is about what I am gathering. The nicer warranty does sound nice, as well as I believe if I am reading properly the 2015 is specd with more options and has some of the original factory warranty still. I’ll let you guys know one way or another how I like the car when I see it tonight. Take some pics if need be. I don’t plan on coming home with a new car but you never know lol

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also the remote start sounds really nice. Get some temp into the motor and trans before I start climbing the hills around my house. Could click it on while I’m brushing my teeth before I leave like I do currently on my GMC. Oddly enough I’ll have to say it, there are some bonuses to the auto if it’s as good as the forums say...

Don't waste your money/time or your fuel installing a remote start on the TDI, climbing hills on a cold engine isn't bad just don't romp on it for the first 2-4 min. Idling the engine won't warm anything up, all it'll do is circulate fluid. If anything look at a coolant heater but that isn't really needed, only if you see consistent temps in single digits and mainly for cabin comfort and MPG gains.

Enjoy your new ride.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Thank you for the info! I dont know why but I had assumed it had remote start. And call me silly, but I have found that on most cars, tuned or not, manual or auto, started them and letting the fluids circulate even for a couple minutes seem to help a lot with the first few minutes of driving and shifting feel. Maybe I am crazy maybe not... granted this is now the newest car I have ever owned with the least amount of miles lol

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VW electrical systems and aftermarket remote starts don't get along. Save yourself some money and hassle and skip it. If you start the car, let it idle for the time it takes to put on your seat belt and adjust the sound system, and then drive off, you'll be fine. Especially in CA.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Thanks! Sounds good! Here are some quick pics. First mod will probably be tinted windows. Limo on all the back ones, about 20-30% on the driver side and maybe a limo strip on the front windshield to cut glare. This thing is a fish bowl with no tint lol. Girlfriend and I are loving the pano moon/sunroof. Worth it!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
watch out for the tint cops out there, don't want to be crossing them!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Trust me, been here my whole life. 20-30% fronts won’t get me pulled over unless I am being an ass. Especially with the contrast from the limo on the back. It’s an unspoken rule that only limo tint and serious windshield tint on front windows/windshields get pulled over.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I’ll do the service myself. Says it’s about 100 bucks. And yeah I’d do it every year if I am doing 30k a hear. Just to be safe I suppose. But still 100 bucks and you keep smooth, quick and crisp shifts doesn’t sound bad. Plus, my girlfriend likes if I hold her hand while I drive, and with a manual in town that ain’t gonna happen lol. Plus if we go take a night out and I’m too tired to drive or tipsy, she could drive if need be and be far more comfortable. Also the remote start sounds really nice. Get some temp into the motor and trans before I start climbing the hills around my house. Could click it on while I’m brushing my teeth before I leave like I do currently on my GMC. Oddly enough I’ll have to say it, there are some bonuses to the auto if it’s as good as the forums say...

The DSG service is a little harder then your standard transmission fluid change. And I didn't want to spend the money on the computer program that is needed ( I forget the name ATM). To each their own, I prefer driving a manual in a car.

And, BTW I almost spit coffee out of my nose about you being in CA with cold starts.

Last edited:

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Thanks! Sounds good! Here are some quick pics. First mod will probably be tinted windows. Limo on all the back ones, about 20-30% on the driver side and maybe a limo strip on the front windshield to cut glare. This thing is a fish bowl with no tint lol. Girlfriend and I are loving the pano moon/sunroof. Worth it!!

Looks great !
I'm too late to warn you about the pano roofs, some leak and some of those are extremely hard to repair for some reason. Hopefully no stains anywhere on the headliner ?