www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 14th, 2019, 22:33   #1
sportwagen3
Veteran Member

Default Hard Shifts from 1st to 2nd in Cold Weather

Recently the temperature has been in the upper 20s to lower 30s. I noticed on cold starts when my car's not garaged or after work when my car's been in the parking lot for over 8 hours, shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is rough at times for my manual car. When I shift into 2nd gear, the gear doesn't engage smoothly and I feel kickback from my shift knob as 2nd gear is engaged. Once the car warms up within a couple minutes, the shifts are completely smooth.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue? If so, what could be the cause of the problem?
sportwagen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:52   #2
Z85rado

i've always thought it was gear lash. my wrangler had a very low first gear and if you tried to bang 1-2 it was forceful.. i used to pause a second to let the gears slow a bit.

I didn't take the VW yesterday when it was 9 in the morning. we have a chevy with a tremec 6060 and it was very stiff for 15 minutes or so.
Z85rado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 08:44   #3
vwdsmguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/46/42
Default shifter lube

To make for easier shifting I pull the shifter boot up and squirt oil on the white ball at the base of the shift lever. What a difference it makes. Try it.
'02 Golf TDI, RC5, PP764's, FMIC, 2.5" T-Back, OMI, SB-3 clutch, 11mm pump, VNT17/22, 3 Bar MAP, CAT filter, 90 GPH Holley lift pump, modded D24 intake manifold, Rosten rods, Nural pistons, ported head - 15.0 @ 94 at the drags
vwdsmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 07:44   #4
ESmith813

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdsmguy View Post
To make for easier shifting I pull the shifter boot up and squirt oil on the white ball at the base of the shift lever. What a difference it makes. Try it.

Definitely going to try this! I'll dive in next time the cabin's warm enough for the plastic to not be so brittle.
ESmith813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2019, 21:35   #5
UmeshT

Fuel Economy: 41.xx so far

I've been dealing with the same thing with mine. My 1-2 and 2-3 shifts seem notchy until the cars and gearbox if warmed up.
1998 Toyota Supra TT 6 Speed
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite (Wife's)
UmeshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 09:12   #6
ESmith813

I've had my 1-2 shift grind a handful of times when it's cold unless I really really take my time between the shift. I've been driving stick for 10 years and the only car I've ever had grind gears at all was an old, old pickup with known faulty synchros. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer under CPO while it's still cold out.
ESmith813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 21:34   #7
sportwagen3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmith813 View Post
I've had my 1-2 shift grind a handful of times when it's cold unless I really really take my time between the shift. I've been driving stick for 10 years and the only car I've ever had grind gears at all was an old, old pickup with known faulty synchros. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer under CPO while it's still cold out.
Yeah it only grinds when it's cold outside just like you said. Let me know what the dealer does if you take it in.
sportwagen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 04:58   #8
Scott02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too Many
Fuel Economy: 51/45/41

This is the nature of thicker transmission lube when it's cold out. Drive more, worry less.
02 allroad TDI 6MT - 150kmi, current project, getting a BSM deleted BHW and euro TDI geared 01E quattro
Scott02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:02   #9
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

1-2 when cold is very notchy. Definitely have to slow it down till it warms up a bit. The gear lube in these is incredibly thin, so I think it's just the design of the synchros. They use a friction material applied to the rings rather than a ridged ring to grab the gear and slow it down. The friction material likely doesn't slow the gear down as fast especially when cold.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr

Last edited by adjat84th; February 11th, 2019 at 17:28.
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 16:13   #10
paperthin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 15 A3 TDI

On my previous MT 09 jetta i changed the fluid to a redline product which made a world of difference during the cold temps. I changed it because of mileage, but a positive change came out of it. I had the same problem with the VW fliud.
Old February 12th, 2019, 11:19   #11
nkgagne
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly in signature

Simple solution: double-clutch when the car is super cold.

It's made a bit more difficult by the thicker fluid in the clutch circuit when super cold (the pedal doesn't want to return as quickly). After driving a little while, you will feel when the gearbox begins to loosen up, and then you can go back to single-clutching, starting with higher gears, then finally for lower gears.

Accelerating goes like this: Accelerating in 1, lift off/clutch/shift to N, release clutch as the revs fall, clutch/shift to 2 (should easily engage), release clutch and accelerate in 2, repeat 2-3, 3-4. 4-5 and 5-6 are usually close enough not to require more than just a slow shift, plus if it's icy out...

Decelerating (from 4, for illustration): slowing in 4, clutch/shift to N, blip the accelerator while briefly releasing the clutch, clutch/shift to 3 and release clutch quickly before revs fall. All while braking as required (double-clutch heel-toe). Repeat 3-2, and 2-1, with a bigger accelerator blip each time (gears are spaced farther the lower you go). Note: you may have an easier time using this technique to go 2-1 while still rolling instead of hitting 1 from a stop when extremely cold. I know I do!

Note: "release the clutch" above means to do so in a deliberate snap. Slow and easy is not your friend with this technique.

If you're doing this correctly, the second half of the shift should happen with very little resistance. For added smoothness, you can also *slightly* bring up the RPM after your shift is complete if it has fallen below the ideal RPM for the next gear (applies to upshifts more than downshifts, since one has to wait for the RPM to fall enough while in N for the next higher gear to match, so by the time the gear is actually engaged the RPM's have then fallen too low, resulting in a lurch upon clutch release; during downshifting one is usually also slowing down, so the 300-500 rpm loss after the blip while you engage the next gear is more-or-less accounted for by the slower car speed.

In my old Mk4, I changed to GM Synchromesh fluid which aided greatly with cold-weather shifting (all shifting, really, that stuff was amazing), but I have not researched if it also compatible with the Mk7 gearbox...

Bone stock. Dieselgate Stage 1 reflash complete.
nkgagne is offline   Reply With Quote