TDI takes forever to warm up, installed FrostHeater

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Installed the Frostheater today. This TDI takes longer than my Ford 6.0 diesel to warm up. :D I leave at 5 am for work, and frosty mornings take over 20 minutes to defrost the windshield.

I spent the extra on the FrostHeater because of the OEM appearance and straightforward install. Futzing with the hose clamps down in that tight space was annoying, but overall quick and easy install. Definitely recommend!

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
The only pics I took. There's a couple good videos on YouTube that helped.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Interesting. With the electric AUX heater in the climate control system, it has only ever taken a few minutes to defrost the windshield.

What type of temps are you talking about early in the morning?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I'd bet you have a bubble in the system somewhere. The AUX electric heater alone defrosts my windows within the 1st 5min of driving in temps well below zero Deg C.

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
What is the Aux electric heater? Havent heard of this. Not working, if mine is supposed to have it. I have heated seats, so I assume I have the cold weather package?

Interesting. With the electric AUX heater in the climate control system, it has only ever taken a few minutes to defrost the windshield.

What type of temps are you talking about early in the morning?
The couple mornings were only like 30 but a very wet evening, a thick frost. Not ice. It'll clear out a small basketball size area pretty quickly though.

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
There is an electric grid heater piggybacked somewhere in the system with the intention of aiding warm up of the cabin and windshield defrost. This is not a coolant heater or a block heater. There are several criteria that must be met for activation. Fan speed greater then 2, temperature control set to max, intake and cabin air temperature below threshold (somewhere in the 60 degree F range I believe), and a coolant temperature threshold as well, plus other various engine speed and alternator loading criteria.

In the Mk6 vehicles some owners report being able to hear a distinct relay click when this electric heating grid is energized. Your temperatures are not very cold. This small heater just supplements until the coolant is up to temp so it is not going to be as hot but within a minute or so of it being activated I can feel warm air out of the vents of my choice. In 5 minutes I have a good flow of heat and by 20 mins I have the heat already turned down.

Only difference in warm up times is I do run a lower grille block in the winter but this has no effect on the electric heater.

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Ah, there's the problem. I have the heat just above half when warming up (trying to help warm up times) and only keep the fan on 2. I can feel heat out of the vents earlier than the coolant temp gauge suggests. I'll pay attention to it.

Thanks for the info!

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Definitely crank up the heat, no complaints with either of my tdis, they both heat up pretty quick even when it is in the 20s or less. I let mine run a few minites with the heat at full blast and fan at least half way.

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
I also bought a JSW from Salem VW, how long did it take you to install the heater? I've been thinking about getting one but still on the fence if it's worth it for me or not.

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I also bought a JSW from Salem VW, how long did it take you to install the heater? I've been thinking about getting one but still on the fence if it's worth it for me or not.
Probably 2 hours? Hardest part was decifering out how to place the heater itself and run the hoses like they want you to. Straight forward though, only have to mess with one heater hose at the oil cooler.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk