www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 8th, 2019, 19:11   #16
mopower
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 15 GSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Jump pack, POS to the main lug into the fuse link box, ground to wherever it is easy to get to... some models right on the ground cable where it attaches to the body, others (where this is down the side of the strut tower and not as easy to get to) I stick it on the engine or trans somewhere. Ground is ground, doesn't really matter where.
They also make battery savers that go through the DLC, as well as the 12v outlet in the car, but I have found sometimes these do not work.
Doesn't using a jump pack defeat the purpose of disconnecting the positive for safety while working on the car? (electrical specifically)
Old January 8th, 2019, 20:10   #17
jason_
Veteran Member

Reason I lkke trickle chargers...

If yiy short those you'll get some light sparks...

Dragging a hot lead across an engine block with 600 amps... That's an eye opener...and brew spiller...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 04:49   #18
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopower View Post
Doesn't using a jump pack defeat the purpose of disconnecting the positive for safety while working on the car? (electrical specifically)
There is no need to disconnect the battery for safety to change the DSG's filter, you just have to do it for clearance. I wrap the positive lead taken loose from the battery in a towel and secure it out of the way.

I've done this probably a thousand times. I am not doing anything different than the battery savers do, just doing it in a more convenient spot under the hood. The leads are small "alligator clip" wires that go into the 12v socket on the jump pack, it is the same 12v socket the battery saver would go to.. and I have a lead that has a double plug 12v socket (male and male) as well as one that has a DLC connection.

But when the car is on the 2-post lift I use, it is awkward to open the driver's door to get at these connections, and as I said, some cars this doesn't seem to work on to keep all the memory alive for whatever reason. Going right to the main fuse box under the hood where the battery connects does, every time.
Old January 19th, 2019, 18:32   #19
davidlp
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47

I just did my 2015 GSW today. Somehow managed to spend all afternoon on it, but it will go faster next time. I realized at the end that my old VagCom dongle from ALH days cannot read the modules on my car, so couldn't read the temp. Since 35C=95F I left finger under the drip and waited until it seemed about body temperature. Screwed the stealer out of $700!
1977 Rabbit, 1982 Rabbit, 1986 Golf Diesel, 1991 Golf GTI 8V, 2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf GSW TDI #1, 2015 Golf GSW TDI #2
davidlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:09   #20
740GLE
Veteran Member

A non contact thermal IR would be close enough. Also if you change the fluid on a warm car, and get the new fluid in the DSG in under a hour, idling the car for a few min should get that fluid up to where is should be due to the coolant loop.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote