www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 10th, 2019, 11:50   #16
BarryT82
Veteran Member

I purchased the Helix MK7 style projector headlights on eBay for $280 shipped. ECS wants $500 for the same lights.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 14:09   #17
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
I purchased the Helix MK7 style projector headlights on eBay for $280 shipped. ECS wants $500 for the same lights.

Jeez that is a cheap. I like the look with the square LED's. But I would worry about quality. But I bet these are plug and play unlike the Golf R OEM set that I have to waiting to go in someday.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 16:13   #18
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Jeez that is a cheap. I like the look with the square LED's. But I would worry about quality. But I bet these are plug and play unlike the Golf R OEM set that I have to waiting to go in someday.
They have good reviews online. I have a set of morimoto HIDís in my garage somewhere.
Old January 10th, 2019, 20:46   #19
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
They have good reviews online. I have a set of morimoto HIDís in my garage somewhere.
Can you link to these lights? I'm in the midst of researching which ones to buy.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:30   #20
BarryT82
Veteran Member

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-helix-pa...vwg6hl-7b~hlx/

It’s these lights but I got them on eBay for $280 shipped. eBay item 401652769075
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:14   #21
calimustang
Veteran Member

Quote:

Itís these lights but I got them on eBay for $280 shipped. eBay item 401652769075

Wow! You got them for good deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:01   #22
SoCalJT

Quote:

Itís these lights but I got them on eBay for $280 shipped. eBay item 401652769075
Do you have a lux meter? If not, can get them for cheap on amazon. I ordered one for $16, supposed to get here today.

If you can, please install one side and compare it to stock beam pattern (both, low and high) and also measure the lux output of stock vs helix. You might be surprised, most knocks off are garbage light reflectors/projectors. Hopefully not the case with helix though.

A lot of these customers buying knock off lights just say they look brighter or have knock off higher output bulbs in them... but the actual light pattern is scattered beyond any real USEABLE patterns and often times blinding oncoming drivers and unsafe.

I am going to document and compare stock output and bulbs of oem halogens to morimoto HID PnP kit with the beam patterns and lux outputs. Only TRUE way to do it since ALL headlights reflecting differently and not all brands of housings and bulbs are actually what they claim to be.

Looking good is one thing, actually performing good is a whole different ball game.
Old January 13th, 2019, 04:50   #23
BarryT82
Veteran Member

I do not have a lux meter. The headlights and bulbs should arrive Wednesday. I’ll put them in after the fog light kit arrives.

I got the rear camera and RNS-510 installed yesterday. The camera isn’t too difficult to install, but it is time consuming. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out why the camera wouldn’t work after I put everything back together. It turns out that when the headlight switch is removed the lights stay on and the reverse light power that I tapped into only worked with the lights on. The rear interior trim pieces are a pain to remove. Feeding the video cable through the rubber in the rear hatch is a two person job.
Old January 13th, 2019, 10:50   #24
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

All cool stuff!
I wanna see pics!

With the GTI steering wheel, can you use the stock airbag?
KeyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 12:52   #25
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyTDI View Post
All cool stuff!
I wanna see pics!

With the GTI steering wheel, can you use the stock airbag?
No, you need the airbag and harness from the GTI steering wheel. I have about $275 into the steering wheel and airbag. Iíve seen them
For less without the steering controls, but those were a must.
Old January 13th, 2019, 13:25   #26
cheatingJSW

I grabbed a '14 JSW TDI with 104k miles. I looked at probably 5 other buyback models for sale in a 300 mile radius and they all suffered the same thing. Tons of door dings, dirt caked up in the engine bay, and somewhat beat to S***. Luckily I found this one that has leather and was virtually mint condition! 2" lift going in next week.

Can't even describe how bad the stock headlights are...Who has run the DayAutoKey LED kit? I purchased some headlightexpert.com kit and it will not fit the housing as for as I can tell (after taking the front bumper off and headlights out) does the DayAutoKey kit come with the correct adapter?
cheatingJSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 14:13   #27
calimustang
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingJSW View Post
I grabbed a '14 JSW TDI with 104k miles. I looked at probably 5 other buyback models for sale in a 300 mile radius and they all suffered the same thing. Tons of door dings, dirt caked up in the engine bay, and somewhat beat to S***. Luckily I found this one that has leather and was virtually mint condition! 2" lift going in next week.

Can't even describe how bad the stock headlights are...Who has run the DayAutoKey LED kit? I purchased some headlightexpert.com kit and it will not fit the housing as for as I can tell (after taking the front bumper off and headlights out) does the DayAutoKey kit come with the correct adapter?

DeAutoKey LED headlight kit will fit right in like an key. Pop it in and you are golden. Only you need is to worry about clearance for your hand to go in.... best advice i can give is take front bumper off and headlight off and you can pop them right in within 5 seconds compared to tight space taking 15-30 mins each...... did that on 2011 with bumper off. 2014 bumper on and what a massive headache. Will take bumper off for next time, no Questions. A lot cussing involved.

calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 14:25   #28
cheatingJSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimustang View Post
DeAutoKey LED headlight kit will fit right in like an key. Pop it in and you are golden. Only you need is to worry about clearance for your hand to go in.... best advice i can give is take front bumper off and headlight off and you can pop them right in within 5 seconds compared to tight space taking 15-30 mins each...... did that on 2011 with bumper off. 2014 bumper on and what a massive headache. Will take bumper off for next time, no Questions. A lot cussing involved.

Lol sounds like my night last night. Tried installing with out removing the bumper, figured no way it's possible so I took the entire bumper off to find that I need adapters AND one of the headlights is aftermarket and doesn't use the same bulb socket. Should be fun
cheatingJSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 15:24   #29
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingJSW View Post
Lol sounds like my night last night. Tried installing with out removing the bumper, figured no way it's possible so I took the entire bumper off to find that I need adapters AND one of the headlights is aftermarket and doesn't use the same bulb socket. Should be fun
eBay item 401652769075
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:17   #30
BarryT82
Veteran Member

The TRS Morimoto HID kit arrived yesterday and the headlights are coming today. I plan to put them in tonight with the help of my two kids.