MKIV Rear Calipers - Are they all crap?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The bottle I have is Permatex brand and has provided me good service for a number of years (same bottle for ~10 years or so for all my vehicles... no problems with it.)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The bottle I have is Permatex brand and has provided me good service for a number of years (same bottle for ~10 years or so for all my vehicles... no problems with it.)
I use the same stuff on all vehicles I've ever done brakes on, zero issues.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
BTW a (SMALL!) dab of that stuff on threads that are subject to seizure (think things like the rotor fixing screw for example) has proved over that decade or so to put a hard stop on that sort of problem.

Be very, very careful using any sort of lubricant, however, on any threads that are subject to a torque spec; most torque specs are "clean and dry" and the presence of lubricant dramatically alters things.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I think reversing and stopping adjusts the brakes for wear, not the parking brake. But I agree you should use the brake. Having learned to drive in British cars I never used the parking brake: They were worse than VWs.
The mechanical part of the parking brakes are adjusted by the ratchet mechanisms in the rear calipers.
The rear service brakes are self adjusting just like the front brakes.
Backing up and applying the brakes doesn't adjust anything.