www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 4th, 2015, 13:39   #31
afarfalla
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtracr95 View Post
I took my intercooler tube off and got nothing out of mine. Some oil residue but nothing out of the norm. 34k miles never been checked before, outside all the time in Chicago weather.
I expected nothing, was surprised when that amount of water flowed out? It very rarely freezes here.
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 15:07   #32
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

I had a tough start last winter, crank catch stall etc.. I in a panic removed the inter cooler hose and found nothing but maybe a tsp of oil. no sign of water at all on a car with over 80,000 mile
Andrew's 3rd generation (2Micron.com) return fuel filter, and Pure Flow HPFP modification, timing belt guard and the full Malone flashzilla / Buzzken stage2.0 eco treatment (bosal hitch and heavy springs for towing)
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 17:42   #33
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Let's give his thread a try and see what we come up with in regard to drilling drain holes in the intercooler plumbing.

It would be very helpful to keep this thread on the topic of a drain hole and long-term experiences, so let's keep general intercooler icing discussion in the other (long) thread.
Old January 4th, 2015, 20:48   #34
afarfalla
Veteran Member

drove the car with the hole in the intercooler, local only, parked it checked 2 hours later no drips no water. Will do some frwy driving tomorrow to see if any cell's pop up
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:15   #35
02PSDV8
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/48/39

Wondering if its a good idea to install a petcock valve like you'd lind on a radiator? Then you could open it up once in a while to drain?
Old January 5th, 2015, 12:13   #36
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

The other consideration is the computer being sensative enough to log a boost leak. I have had very small cracks and loose clamps set DTCs. Its possible that a hole big enough to do the job will set a DTC. Then you have to worry about DPF clogging because the ECM won't regen with a boost DTC.

Argh!! crappy charge air cooler design.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 14:16   #37
2011tdiproject
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

Thank you, moderator who gave me my thread back! I hope I didn't come across like I have a huge ego, because I really don't. Having said that, it is not because of ego that I wish the thread had my original title, or "drilling a drain hole for the intercooler", not "in the intercooler", because I am not drilling a hole in the intercooler, I am drilling a hole in the charge air piping next to the warm oil pan.

Anyway, I really want to emphasize one thing here that has been brought up repeatedly. I do NOT want a valve on that pipe. The reason why the people who've said things along the lines of "it's okay as long as you plug it back up", is psychological, not based on engineering. They think because the hole "isn't supposed to be there" that a valve is better, without looking at how the idea of the hole actually works. With a valve, you're not going to know when to open it. You won't know when water is accumulating, or when ice that is going to melt later is forming. You might never open it at the right time, you might open it when the water is still ice, and think there's nothing there. You might forget to open it. You might have to open all the time, way too often.

With the hole, it drains any time water is there. Whether you're driving, whether the car it parked, whether you're there or not. Therefore the hole is a much better idea. Human effort and error factor is out of the equation.

So far I haven't taken the car out other than around town and a few aggressive accelerations to see if I'd get an error code, which I did not. I may have a 3 hour drive later today, but I might put that off. It is snowing, 0 degrees out, and I am pretty tired after cutting, grinding, welding, breathing paint fumes, etc until about 6 AM last night doing fab work on my 95 chevy cummins swap. 2wd 350/4l60 to d60/14ff, divorced np205, 12v p7100, nv4500, 37s, no lift blocks, no body lift. Insane amount of work.

Last edited by 2011tdiproject; January 5th, 2015 at 15:10.
2011tdiproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 14:35   #38
2011tdiproject
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarfalla View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/376743...7649706285690/ first pic is what I collected when I removed the intercooler hose, I drilled a 3mm hole in plastic section, replaced hose started car. It would pee then stop then pee some more when the RPM's were increased water would stop for a second or 2 then continue peeing, I quilt after about 3 minutes. I removed the left side hose but nothing came out. I assume my original no-start then dead battery was water ingestion?

The hole you drilled is quite a bit bigger than what I drilled. I don't remember the exact measurement of the bit I used, but I think it was like .05" or so, less than half the size of the 3mm bit you used. Hmm..
Old January 5th, 2015, 14:44   #39
2011tdiproject
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
The other consideration is the computer being sensative enough to log a boost leak. I have had very small cracks and loose clamps set DTCs. Its possible that a hole big enough to do the job will set a DTC. Then you have to worry about DPF clogging because the ECM won't regen with a boost DTC.

Argh!! crappy charge air cooler design.

Jason
How would the computer know about the tiny boost leak? MAF signal vs 02 sensor feedback? As far as I know, the car does not have a MAP sensor, no way to read a discrepancy between MAF and MAP readings, which would easily indicate a boost leak.

I wouldn't say it's the design of the charge air cooler, I believe it's primarily a function of the low pressure EGR dumping all that humidity into the intake tract. However, the humidity does keep it cleaner with the crankcase ventilation residue, it makes that residue not as "sticky", and easier to drain out, for lack of a better way of saying it.

Last edited by 2011tdiproject; January 5th, 2015 at 14:46.
Old January 5th, 2015, 14:56   #40
Slurry Pumper
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP View Post
Why not install one of these?
After your oil change you can open this up, take it for a spirited drive then close it back up and be done.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
I like this idea better than just a hole. If there isn't really access to the intercooler, and I know that there isn't, I will just place a hose out the intercooler to the stop cock. I have never had this problem, so I will not be in a rush to go out in the cold and crawl under the ole TDI with a drill bit, rubber grommet, hose, stop cock, and a beer unless the car starts choking on starts every morning.

No hole to big, no head to high, no fee too excessive!
Slurry Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 15:08   #41
2011tdiproject
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
I like this idea better than just a hole.
Why? Like I said, it's psychology, not engineering. The hole "isn't supposed to be there", so you don't want it there. That's all it is. All you guys talking about valves, you're making this way harder than it has to be.

Yes, I will eat those words if I get an error code, but we'll see.
Old January 5th, 2015, 15:15   #42
mishkaya
Veteran Member

2011tdiproject
Do you monitor EGT's? I would would be curious to know what the temps were prior to the hole and after. I know that on my ram when one of the 1/8" hoses popped of the upper intercooler hose, I had enough of a boost leak to see a 100 degree rise in EGT's under moderate boost conditions. Even more of an increase under high boost engine loads.
mishkaya

Last edited by mishkaya; January 5th, 2015 at 15:34.
mishkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 15:32   #43
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
I like this idea better than just a hole. If there isn't really access to the intercooler, and I know that there isn't, I will just place a hose out the intercooler to the stop cock. I have never had this problem, so I will not be in a rush to go out in the cold and crawl under the ole TDI with a drill bit, rubber grommet, hose, stop cock, and a beer unless the car starts choking on starts every morning.
If location is an issue you can install it in another location and run a feeder tube to it for easier access.

Old January 5th, 2015, 15:50   #44
2011tdiproject
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishkaya View Post
2011tdiproject
Do you monitor EGT's? I would would be curious to know what the temps were prior to the hole and after. I know that on my ram when one of the 1/8" hoses popped of the upper intercooler hose, I had enough of a boost leak to see a 100 degree rise in EGT's under moderate boost conditions. Even more of an increase under high boost engine loads.
mishkaya
No, I don't have an egt gauge or vcds thing, and I haven't put any miles on the car out of town yet either.

Your higher EGT makes sense, you had the same fuel and less air. As I wrote, the hole I drilled was something like .05".

For comparison: A .05" hole has .0019 square inches.

A 1/8" hole is .0122 square inches, a 625% increase.

Even .05" probably is bigger than necessary, the drill I had wouldn't hold any smaller of a bit!
Old January 5th, 2015, 16:14   #45
TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI(s): JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP View Post
Why not install one of these?
After your oil change you can open this up, take it for a spirited drive then close it back up and be done.

This would work great if the thickness of the wall of the pipe was the same as the depth of the threads on the valve. But, I don't believe that to be the case. A valve like this would stick too far into the pipe and all the water wouldn't be able to drain out. If you welded a bung to the outside of the pipe, then screw the valve into the bung, it could be flush with the inside of the pipe allowing all the water to drain out.
TRAMPLINEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote