www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old October 12th, 2014, 12:03   #1
bens993

TDI(s): 2011 JSW
Default How do you remove panoramic sunroof sunshade repair?

I'm replacing my sunshade on a 2011 sportwagen. I have the headliner out but appears both glass panels have to be removed. Anyone know how to do this? There are several threads but none specifically for the mk6.
bens993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 12:29   #2
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

It appears that you only need to remove the rear sunroof glass. I have never done this, but this is what I know:

Removing Pano sunshade: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_sun_shade.pdf
Removing Pano Rear Glass: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_Rear_Glass.pdf
Sunroof Adaptation (needed after replacement): http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_Adaptation.pdf

Note: These instructions say they are for 2005-2008 pano roofs, but these were never sold in the US. The (US) 2009 is exactly the same and I have been told that the 2009 - 2013 (and probably 2014) "Sportwagens" have the exact same part numbers for all Pano sunroof parts. Therefore, the instructions above will probably be helpful to you.
Old October 12th, 2014, 21:32   #3
bens993

Default Reinstalled Sunshade Doesn't Close

Wow thanks that was very helpful.

I got the shade installed but when I went to close it the shade starts to close but then it stops and goes back. Does this mean it needs the adaptation mode performed? I was just trying to test it before I reinstalled the rear glass panel.

I included some of the obstacles I encountered. Hopefully it will help someone as it isn't clear in the manual it takes 10 times to get it right.

The rear glass panel fairly easy to remove. The ***** is feeding the spring into the track and lining it all up. The shade assembly is cumbersome because the shade and spring are supposed to route through a channel on the shade roll holder. it pops out easily while you are thing to feed the spring in the track. If the side of the shade pops out of the channel while installing it the spring will be crooked in the track. A dental pic and lots of light help a lot. I thought the shade assembly would be a all in one snap in piece. It was a roles up piece of sunshade material with the spring. You simply place the shade roll in the holder. Then feed the shade material and spring (all one piece) through the channnel in the holder. If you ask me this is a bad design and is a failure waiting to happen. The roll just sets in the holder. A better design would have included a spring loaded roller like on a window shade.
Old October 12th, 2014, 22:06   #4
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens993 View Post
I got the shade installed but when I went to close it the shade starts to close but then it stops and goes back. Does this mean it needs the adaptation mode performed?
I suspect so. As I said, I have not done this, so I am no expert but it sounds like the pinch protection is not working right and the adaptation is supposed to reset the pinch protection. It can't hurt to try it, it sounds like a very simple procedure. I would watch is very closely as it closes the first time, just in case it gets caught on something.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Since you already have the headliner down, you can probably see the sunshade motor. You can stick an Allen wrench into that motor and manually open and close the shade without power. This might be a way to safely test operation before you try the adaptation.

Last edited by JSWTDI09; October 12th, 2014 at 22:16. Reason: Added P.S.
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 14:24   #5
bens993

Default Sunshade installed and working.

It turns out the right side of sunshade and spring popped out of the feed channel in the holder. I was able to pop it back over with a small screwdriver being careful to only put pressure under the metal spring part of the shade. I couldn't find a place to crank the shade motor by hand but I just tested it with the switch. No adaptation needed. This is probably because I didnt remove the front glass.

Next dilemma is I didnt expect the wire harness connector for the visor would be attached to roof of the car with a metal bracket. I ended up tearing the ribbon type harness. If i can't fix it with jumper wires and solder I will get one from the dealer for $ 77.00 All in Im under $350 to fix it myself. Not bad considering the dealer wants 5 hours labor.

Thanks for your help. Now that I have done it, I can give guidance to anyone on the forum who want to diy.
Old November 5th, 2015, 06:49   #6
smtelegadis

There have been changes to the part numbers and Assembly. New track clips are necessary if you attempt this repair. Parts department neglected to tell me either of those things when I ordered. Had to take apart and replace the Headliner twice while waiting for the part.

I really hated doing this repair. It wasn't hard just time consuming. Worst part is the new liner is now failing as well. It's just a terrible design I'm buying a heat sheild, tinting the glass and cutting my losses.
smtelegadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 08:56   #7
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Yet another reason for not having something as ridiculous as a Pano sunroof. What a really stupid thing to put on a car.

Just awesome. An option that at some point might cost you $3000+ to repair.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 18:45   #8
rambalu80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtelegadis View Post
There have been changes to the part numbers and Assembly. New track clips are necessary if you attempt this repair. Parts department neglected to tell me either of those things when I ordered. Had to take apart and replace the Headliner twice while waiting for the part.
I really hated doing this repair. It wasn't hard just time consuming. Worst part is the new liner is now failing as well. It's just a terrible design I'm buying a heat sheild, tinting the glass and cutting my losses.
One of our friends kids carpooled with us yesterday and ended up ripping out the shade on the passenger side from the rails. We let them know but doubt the will even share any of the costs to replace the shade.

I'm now considering doing the repair myself. Can someone please post all necessary part numbers for this repair? Btw...my interior is cornsilk beige. Thanks in advance.

rambalu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 21:57   #9
Yojack45

Rambalu how did your install go, or how much did it cost to get fixed?
Yojack45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 08:17   #10
rambalu80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojack45 View Post
Rambalu how did your install go, or how much did it cost to get fixed?
I haven't gotten it fixed yet. With all the dieselgate drama, I am still holding out to see what the fate of my car will be.

However, I have gotten quotes ranging from $1200 - $2600 for the fix, both from the same dealership. The $1200 fix is to replace only what is essential (sunshade ($348), guidepiece ($52) & bracing ($110) + labor) and the dealer claims that they may not be able to guarantee this fix. The $2600 fix includes replacing the pieces listed above as well as the frame ($869) and deflector ($229) plus additional labor.

Another dealership quoted me $1300 for the first option, but told me that they don't typically like to take on this work.

rambalu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 13:56   #11
antikid

TDI(s): 2010 JSW DSG

I am in the same boat. My sunshade messed up a few weeks ago. I cut the shade off and am waiting until there is an answer on dieselgate.
antikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 18:52   #12
zachmain02

TDI(s): 06 Jetta

I got the drain tubes fixed 7 months ago, now its leaking again. The dealer says its the frame this time. $2000+. Anyone know if this is something hat can be fixed with sealer/epoxy/silicone? Im not usually into badly patching up problems, but $2000 is too much if i might have to sell it back anyway.

The leak is rear passenger corner of the pano sunroof. Im thinking of pulling the rear glass and patching the leaking spot. Please stop me if this sounds like a terrible idea!
zachmain02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 22:41   #13
ricks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38ish mixed, 49 highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachmain02 View Post
I got the drain tubes fixed 7 months ago, now its leaking again. The dealer says its the frame this time. $2000+. Anyone know if this is something hat can be fixed with sealer/epoxy/silicone? Im not usually into badly patching up problems, but $2000 is too much if i might have to sell it back anyway.
The leak is rear passenger corner of the pano sunroof. Im thinking of pulling the rear glass and patching the leaking spot. Please stop me if this sounds like a terrible idea!
Perhaps their fix wasn't sufficient. Getting to the rear drain tubes is relatively easy. I fixed mine last weekend and it took less than an hour. There is an excellent video on YouTube on 2010 Sportwagen panoramic roof drain repair. You just remove 2 torx nuts and everything else snaps off. You can reach the drain tubes and pull them off the roof channel. Blow through the tubes and if you hear any air between the tube and the nipple which attaches to the roof, you found the leak. Just seal with silicone and then put a bit inside the nipple so you have a good seal. the silicone was used to seal the connection and then I wrapped some blue painters tape around the repair so I didn't have to wait a day for it to dry. I just put a bit more silicone around the inside of the connector and pushed it back on and snapped everything back. I did the fronts last summer and they haven't leaked.

ricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 12:18   #14
zachmain02

TDI(s): 06 Jetta
Default leaking pano sunroof fixed

My leak ended up not being the infamous drain tubes. I had a pano sunroof frame leaking in the rear passenger corner according to the dealer. 2000+ to replace. I took the rear glass off and lowered the rear headliner. All the info on how to do those two things is in other posts. The leak ended up being more of a matter of poor design as it was not broken in any way.

The gutters that direct the water to the drain tubes are attached to the frame of the car and the pano sunroof frame is attached to the gutters. where these connections are made, particularly where the pano frame attaches to the gutters, there are unprotected seams that lead straight into the car. I am sorry I didn't take pictures as I went.

The rear corners of the sunroof are the most susceptible because the water running from the rear gutter (parallel to the trunk) are not as deep. The water only has to splash over a 1/8 lip to access one of the unprotected seams.

The fix for me was to use high quality indoor/outdoor silicone to fill in all the seams that let water in. It took about half an hr to fill them all in. Let the silicone dry, clamp off the drain tube, fill the gutter with water and make sure there are no leaks.

I also added silicone to the drain tubes since I had access to them.

hope this helps anyone in the same situation I was in!

-Zach
zachmain02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 10:14   #15
brkdrvr

Fuel Economy: '09 sportwagon low 36 high 45, '11 sportwagon low 38 high 49. 2006 Golf TDI, low 40, high 51.
Default Panoramic sunroof sunshade question

Hello, Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I am wondering if anyone knows about the fitment of the sunshade I am in the process of replacing the headliner on my daughters 2009 Sportwagen and am having a hard time sourcing the sunshade replacement in aftermarket. The dealer wants @ $600.00 for the sunshade and some replacement guide pieces. There are aftermarket sunshades for $50 - $60 available but the sellers do not seem to know what vehicles they fit. The part number the aftermarket sellers use is 1K9-877-307-A
with a few additional numbers at the end. I am wondering if the last #'s are color codes or actual differences in the shade. Does anyone know of a compatibility chart that tells what truly fits what vehicle I am just trying to get a new sunshade in a lt gray color close to the recovered headliner that fits and works.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mike
brkdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote