www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 30th, 2011, 07:38   #1
steadyhand
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 - 42 mpg
Default Stumped by a non working sunroof even after replacing motor and control unit

Please help.

I have a 2005 Golf GLS. Sunroof quit working. Manual cranking still works just fine.

So, I purchased a new motor and a now map light/sunroof control module. I installed them both, including a new 20amp fuse in the driver's side door fuse panel.

Even after the new parts, only the manual crank works.

Any thougts/ideas please? Thanks in advance,

Rich
steadyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 13:18   #2
HornetHandler
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 55MPG (imperial Gal.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyhand View Post
Please help.

I have a 2005 Golf GLS. Sunroof quit working. Manual cranking still works just fine.

So, I purchased a new motor and a now map light/sunroof control module. I installed them both, including a new 20amp fuse in the driver's side door fuse panel.

Even after the new parts, only the manual crank works.

Any thougts/ideas please? Thanks in advance,

Rich

Are you getting power to the motor???

Mack
HornetHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 13:47   #3
steadyhand
Veteran Member

I'll need to purchase a multimeter before I can check for power...
Old January 30th, 2011, 14:40   #4
HornetHandler
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 55MPG (imperial Gal.)

Quote:
I'll need to purchase a multimeter before I can check for power...

Good investment and a necessity if you plan on doing your own electrical troubleshooting. Fluke make very good quality multimeters. A feature you will not use much, but that does come in handy from time-to-time is the capability to measure current. 10 to 20 amps DC is nice.

http://www.fluke.com/

Ping back once you get it and we'll walk you through the process if necessary.

Mack

Mack
HornetHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 17:56   #5
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

I spent a lot of time working on a sunroof on a beetle which should be similar. Once you get a meter (or a test light) there should be two power sources - one constant power and the second that is switched with the ignition. I had a broken wire somewhere between the fuse box and the sunroof. I ran a new wire to get it working. The symptoms were no movement other than with the manual crank, but if I held the key in the lock position (to roll up windows), the sunroof would close, but only from the retracted position. If it was tilted up it would not lower using the key.
Old January 30th, 2011, 19:28   #6
joetdi
Veteran Member

If you open it manually can you close it with the key in the driver's door?
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:45   #7
3800rpmDiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jettas: mid 40's mpg, Passat, 38mpg

you guys are talking about 'manually' opening / closing. how is that accomplished?
3800rpmDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:04   #8
steadyhand
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3800rpmDiesel View Post
you guys are talking about 'manually' opening / closing. how is that accomplished?

Under the sunroof motor cover (square-ish piece near the map lights), there is a funny shaped Allen wrench (crank) that fits into the sunroof motor. Just insert and spin that crank around and the sunroof moves in/out/up.

"If you open it manually can you close it with the key in the driver's door?"

I will check...soon....thanks.
Old January 31st, 2011, 13:28   #9
procupine14
Veteran Member

Quote:

Under the sunroof motor cover (square-ish piece near the map lights), there is a funny shaped Allen wrench (crank) that fits into the sunroof motor. Just insert and spin that crank around and the sunroof moves in/out/up.
Learn something new every day. This sounds like a handy feature that I should know about in case of motor issues
Old January 31st, 2011, 20:31   #10
steadyhand
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procupine14 View Post
Learn something new every day. This sounds like a handy feature that I should know about in case of motor issues
This works also for when our TDI engines fail; just rip the weak/broken cam shaft out and manually crank the cylinders....good for about 5 mph (on a straightaway - you loose 2 mph on turns)!
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:26   #11
3800rpmDiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jettas: mid 40's mpg, Passat, 38mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by procupine14 View Post
Think I'll throw an allen wrench in the glovebox tonight!!! Who wants to be caught away from home, with an open sunroof and an impending thunder-shower

what size allen key btw?
3800rpmDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 16:11   #12
steadyhand
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetdi View Post
If you open it manually can you close it with the key in the driver's door?

Didn't work for me. Driver's key in the door does open and close the windows, but does not affect the sunroof, even when I start with it open (manually opened, of course).

It's as though the sunroof has no juice (haven't purchased a multi-meter, yet).....
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:50   #13
drew46304

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg
Default sun roof problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1108 View Post
I spent a lot of time working on a sunroof on a beetle which should be similar. Once you get a meter (or a test light) there should be two power sources - one constant power and the second that is switched with the ignition. I had a broken wire somewhere between the fuse box and the sunroof. I ran a new wire to get it working. The symptoms were no movement other than with the manual crank, but if I held the key in the lock position (to roll up windows), the sunroof would close, but only from the retracted position. If it was tilted up it would not lower using the key.
hey gforce. I have almost exactly the same problem you had with this beetle. The only difference is that when i hold the key in lock position in the door, having the sunroof open with crank, it WILL NOT close.........but if i have the back tilted up, using the crank, then the motor will work to pull it down when holding key in lock position. Sounds very similar. I tried this with and without the sunroof control switch attached to the motor with the same results. My thoughts were that maybe i should try replacing the switch first but after reading your post im not sure now. I installed another used motor that i got on ebay for 24 bucks with shipping and got the exact same results.......so im not out much and will have a spare if ever needed. You have any thoughts on this ? ........ or anyone else on here ?

Im new on here.......found this site EXTREMELY helpful a cpl weeks ago when i changed my alternator. Im sure i saved at least a cpl hours by printing someones step by step instructions. Now im just trying to get some of the other nagging things taken care of in my 2002 beetle. Thanks to all for all the valuable infor on here.
drew46304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:56   #14
drew46304

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg

i need a multi meter for the same reason.......sunroof trouble. what model did you get from Fluke ?
drew46304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:11   #15
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Since I have the same car as the OP, I was hoping he would post his outcome from 1.5 years ago.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote