www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old October 19th, 2012, 07:41   #1
brads
Veteran Member

Default Need a new battery for my 2010 Golf TDI

It is 4 months shy of 3 years and 60k miles in and the car is starting to crank a little slower and almost doesn't crank after a parked regen. Does anyone have any thoughts on a better battery than factory supplied one since this one is about done.
brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:04   #2
Sootman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 +/- MPG

I've tried several types and find the OEM battery to be as good as any.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php
Dyno: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352348
Sootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:22   #3
brads
Veteran Member

I'm concerned about the later model TDI's because of the REGEN that happens for like 10 minutes after the car turns off, the fans and heaters have to run etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sootman View Post
I've tried several types and find the OEM battery to be as good as any.
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:47   #4
jesh

TDI(s): 2011 JSW DSG

Just get the highest CCA rated battery you can fit in the space. If it really bothers you go with a deep cycle that can handle the startup current.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question219.htm

Last edited by jesh; October 19th, 2012 at 08:50. Reason: added link
jesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:20   #5
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

The only suggestion I would have is get a true maintenance free battery instead of what VW has currently.

Other than that anything rated the same or better than the OEM will be fine.
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:24   #6
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

I recently replaced my battery. I bought a battery at Sam's Club. It has better (higher) CCAs than the OEM, but it is physically the same size. Plus, it was about $30 cheaper than the OEM one from VW. It was $98 + tax (total under $105).

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Where I live (in the middle of a desert) there is no such thing as a maintenance free battery. Water will always evaporate out of the battery. There is no such thing as a perfect seal. If you don't add water occasionally, batteries will not last more than 3 years here - even if they claim to be maintenance free. This is why I like batteries with a 5 year warranty.

Last edited by JSWTDI09; October 19th, 2012 at 11:29.
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 18:11   #7
kcny
Veteran Member

Battery from costco is pretty decent. They're made by Johnson control and has a 3 yrs free replacement warranty.
kcny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:20   #8
c17chief
Veteran Member

I think they are all pretty hit or miss with personal variables playing a good part of how long a battery will last you. I would be inclined to get a high CCA or deep cycle battery for these cars though. The glow plugs and interupted regens by itself is enough to consider paying attention to that rating (albeit not a must have of course), nevermind if you couple that with a cold climate as well. Otherwise, I think plenty of people can attest to expensive batteries not lasting long, cheap batteries lasting years and years, and any other combo you can think of. Best battery I have had yet is the factory one in my F150. It's over 10yrs old now and has yet to show any sign of slowing down.
c17chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:43   #9
Dieselducky
Veteran Member

Search this topic, There is tons of info already posted! It gets beaten to death every fall.

Last edited by Dieselducky; October 23rd, 2012 at 09:46.
Dieselducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 21:36   #10
Prophet

Bringing back this old thread. Trying to find the proper battery size for replacement on my 2010 Golf TDI.

Looking at an Odyssey AGM battery for this go around. It died on me once and had one hard start with a message on the information center prior to that. I figure I'm rolling the dice right now, and roll around with a Jump Pack in the boot.

Anybody have the proper size on hand?

-P.
2010 Golf TDI 2 Door Reflex Silver | Cold Weather Pkg | Xenons | RNS-510, bld Q | DynAudio w/ Stealthbox | RVC | Monster Mats | Bluetooth 9W7 | DG Panzer Plate | DG Short Shifter | Golf R Steering Wheel | Golf R Shift Knob & Boot | Cherry LED Tails | FrostHeater
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer w/ 6.6L LBZ Duramax and 6-Speed Allison Conversion. Nicely accessorized. 26 MPG on B100
Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:20   #11
Black11TDI
Veteran Member

I have been looking at a Optima Red Tops as a replacement, better CCA and maintenance free and can take a beating they don't have an exact model specific one but my parts guy is bring in a few for stock and I am going to measure them out when they get in next week.
Black11TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:02   #12
dzajano

I just replaced the battery on my '10 Golf last week - 3 years and 3 months, 47,000 miles. Shortest lifespan ever for me for a battery. Went with an Advanced Auto AGM (3 year replacement), cost about $135 plus tax. This was an exact size match, and very similar to to AutoZone Duralast ( 5 min reserve time difference was the only variant - bot made by Johnson Controls). Big factor for me was immediate availability. AGM was only about 15 bucks more than wet cells that I could find, and most of them were not exactly the same size and had lower CCAs.
dzajano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 17:07   #13
brads
Veteran Member

Interstate MEGA-TRON PLUS
Exceeds factory specs
MTP-48/H6
CCA 730
CA 910
and it has nice little caps that hide the terminal clamps after you slightly mod them.
Old June 7th, 2015, 18:32   #14
ClarkThaShark

Thanks brads. Just bought the Mega-Tron from an interstate store for $140. The dealership wanted $100 for OEM but I've always been an Interstate fan and wanted the double plus 730 CAA. Perfect fit too.

Question: Have you replaced the fabric battery cover with the plastic version? didn't know if it fit or not.
ClarkThaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 16:10   #15
i64w2gohome
Veteran Member

Made it 99.7k miles on the original battery, two months shy of five years of service. The old one croaked quickly.... Went with the Interstate MEGA-TRON PLUS MTP-48/H6. Back on the road.

i64w2gohome is offline   Reply With Quote