www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 23rd, 2019, 09:59   #9166
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I think some places that stop diesels are setup like a DUI checkpoint. And depends on the people running it. With Diesel being their business they tend to know what vehicles are out there, at least more than the average cop.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 10:09   #9167
romad
Veteran Member

While I was trying to find out if CA has these type checkpoints, I discovered that in Ireland, it is green dyed diesel that is illegal for road use. Kind of ironic for the "Emerald Isle".

Meanwhile, the only diesel checkpoints in CA I found so far were for emissions testing.

Edit. Found a site where the California Air Resources Board issued a notice in 1995 saying the ARB is contracted with the IRS to perform these dye checks on diesel trucks but it doesn't mention passenger cars. Even during smog tests on my TDI, the fuel wasn't checked.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; January 23rd, 2019 at 10:24.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 05:17   #9168
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Since we’re all on this tax and dye subject, because nobody seems to be doing funny or stupid things at the diesel pump lately. What is the result/penalty/fine for running %100 WVO or as one current thread is asking “black diesel” or homemade biodiesel?

I realize some run a percentage of diesel mixed with their choice of alternative fuel and with the exception of black diesel would probably dye their fuel somewhat green.

If you get a fine for running red diesel because you’re not paying any tax, what about these other guys running some type of home brew. They’re not paying tax either. Are they treated to an exception like the %100 electric vehicles?
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 07:21   #9169
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
What is the result/penalty/fine for running %100 WVO or as one current thread is asking “black diesel” or homemade biodiesel?
Just as illegal, but it is exempted by the amount of smug you can emit while doing so. (yes south park reference, not typo)

Fuel additives are exempt from road tax, and in MN at least there is no upper limit on percentage, so the 85% waste oil 'lubricity additive' is a-ok. I don't think I'd run gasoline in a diesel without such an additive.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 07:31   #9170
jason_
Veteran Member

Awesome. High five.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 10:23   #9171
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
Just as illegal, but it is exempted by the amount of smug you can emit while doing so. (yes south park reference, not typo)

Ha ha ha ....well put
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 11:26   #9172
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I did hear of someone in upper mid-west getting dragged into court and fined for running home brew bio-d. Probably would have been fine but someone opened their big mouth...

You have to have a tax document and pay road taxes on fuel used over the road for vege kits or home brew Bio-d. Depends state to state, but my take on it right now the situation is "don't ask, don't tell". Most governments have better things to do than run down a few how brew people. But make it very public about your operation and you may get a visit from the tax man.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 18:06   #9173
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

I've asked at the DMV a few times how I'd pay fuel tax separate of buying fuel, they just look at me confused as heck until I relate it to red diesel, then they still don't have answers but they turn their righteous indignation knob up a couple clicks.

Oh well.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote