www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old August 28th, 2007, 18:06   #61
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

Another source for a used one might be undergroundvwparts on the vortex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer1 View Post
Wars are fought over religion, money, land, and brand of injectors for a TDI
volmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:12   #62
Bookerdog
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not known yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmaniac
Another source for a used one might be undergroundvwparts on the vortex.
Only problem with underground is that they know just how in demand these cupholders are. I asked a couple of years ago and it was about $20 cheaper than what impex wanted new.

I got mine by being the first to jump on a part out on the vortex. The guy sent me the whole kit with the e-brake handle for $75.
Bookerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 23:44   #63
im no hero x
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lowest: 29.8 Highest: 55.9

Anyone know the part number for the plastic ebrake cover? I kinda destroyed mine in the process of switching it over

And so what I need to make the rear cupholder stay in place is the cap? I was trying to figure that out haha
im no hero x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 14:58   #64
DEZLBOY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker
Just did this mod tonight. Took my time elongating the front hole in the ebrake bracket - ended up being a slot instead of a hole. .
Does anyone have instructions? The link on Vortex is busted. Can you explain what you remove to put in the new brake handle? Do you affect the hand brake cables at all? And, what's this about elongating a hole?

thx.
DEZLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 21:16   #65
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

if you are using a new "cupholder console" e-brake handle, then it is a bolt on with no modification at all. If you are reusing your previous handle, then you have to modify the mounting hole so that the handle slants off towards the driver's side to fit the hole in the cupholder console.
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 21:16   #66
Athfar

TDI(s): 2006 2.0T

Hey guys... I just thought I would do this while I was trying to fix some of my other trim pieces...

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_...66123&x=20&y=0

Does this comes with a leather wraped brake handle and if not does anyone have the old vwvortex http://sites.vwsport.com/fierrpawz/ cached if I need to modify the thing?

Oh, also... I have a 2000 Jetta and it has a sliding rear cup holder and little flippy cubby (that I have had to fix on numerous occasions)... Are there any parts to the impex that I won't need?
Athfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 23:28   #67
k45
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39

I talked to the underground guy 3 weeks ago about this and he was charging $120 + shipping
92 Jetta GL mildly modied (Black)
98 Jetta GT moderately modied (Blue)
k45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:57   #68
JMynes

Default Cupholders!!

I did this swap using the part numbers listed in post number 10. I ordered these parts from 1stVWParts:
1J0-858-373-C-3SG - GREY rear tray (not needed if keeping your armrest)
1J0-863-323-R-3SG - GREY Console (they shipped 1J0-863-323-S-3SG)
1J0-862-533-F-3SG - GREY rear cup holder
1J0-863-328-G-U71 - GREY coin holder
1J0-858-033-3SG - GREY Cap (not really a cap, it's an adapter to make the rear cupholder work)
For right at $110 shipped I got all the right parts and it was an easy job.
The toughest part was oblonging the hole in the e-brake handle mount, if it weren't for my drill, grind (Dremel), try, grind more, try, grind more method, this would have taken about 20 minutes. When finished, it's still plenty strong. Save yourself some money and re-use your handle.
I'd rate this a 2 out of 10 for difficulty, only because you have to use power tools to make the e-brake handle fit.
I'm rating it 10 out of 10 for "glad I did it"

Bilstein HDs/Wagon springs
Auto Tranny '04 Console with Cupholders!
Ventectomy/Atlas Skid Plate/1500W ZeroStart
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:17   #69
Athfar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes
I did this swap using the part numbers listed in post number 10. I ordered these parts from 1stVWParts:
1J0-858-373-C-3SG - GREY rear tray (not needed if keeping your armrest)
1J0-863-323-R-3SG - GREY Console (they shipped 1J0-863-323-S-3SG)
1J0-862-533-F-3SG - GREY rear cup holder
1J0-863-328-G-U71 - GREY coin holder
1J0-858-033-3SG - GREY Cap (not really a cap, it's an adapter to make the rear cupholder work)
For right at $110 shipped I got all the right parts and it was an easy job.
The toughest part was oblonging the hole in the e-brake handle mount, if it weren't for my drill, grind (Dremel), try, grind more, try, grind more method, this would have taken about 20 minutes. When finished, it's still plenty strong. Save yourself some money and re-use your handle.
I'd rate this a 2 out of 10 for difficulty, only because you have to use power tools to make the e-brake handle fit.
I'm rating it 10 out of 10 for "glad I did it"
OK I spent some time on the phone with the dealer today... The parts end in 4TE for beige btw.

As far as this part goes (1J0-862-533-F-4TE) my buddy says that on his 2004 there is just a plastic cap instead of this cup holder deal (which listed on worldimpex for beige is 102 smackaroos). I have the sliding cup holder already and on top of that is the little flippy cubby with red inside. Is there just the cap instead of the extra cup holder that is possibly cheaper?

Oh, and another Beige comment... The coin insert is 1J0-863-328-G-Q70 and at my dealer is actually only $3.78

Last edited by Athfar; January 5th, 2008 at 11:38.
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:59   #70
Athfar

This is the assembly I have... Not sure where that single slot cup holder goes or if it is necessary since I have (9) the sliding cup holder and (6) the little cubby.

I wouldn't mind keeping those two if possible or replacing the cubby with a "cap."

Anyone have a schematic for the 2004-05 models?
Old August 5th, 2008, 19:08   #71
naba
Veteran Member

Thanks for the information. I will have to do this upgrade this year
naba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:41   #72
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

A little late, but I don't believe the cuphold or ashtray from the previous gen will work - the expensive cuphold rides on a track rather than in a slot.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:41   #73
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Yup, rear cupholder from the old style console(double with flaps) will not fit the new style console.(single pullout)
Old August 7th, 2008, 20:32   #74
posterChild

Since this post has been semi-resurrected, I figured I'd take this time to update a couple items that I found confusing when reading these cup holder threads. When you order the kit to convert, you need the following (as stated previously in this thread) items (I'm using the Black coded items, but the other colors are listed here):
1J0-863-323-R-2QL - BLACK console
1J0-863-328-G-B41 - BLACK coin holder
1J0-862-533-F-2QL - BLACK rear cup holder
1J0-858-033-A2QL - BLACK Cap (supersedes 1J0-858-033-2QL)
Now, the confusion I had was about the "cap". The cap is the plate that covers the screws in the rear of the console. Here's a picture that shows the console + rear cup holder _without_ the cap:

Here's one _with_ the cap:

And lastly, here is the actual cap:

Note the little yellow 'gear' in the top picture. This is what makes the rear tray 'glide' out and in. Without this piece, the rear cup holder is loosely held in place and not useful if pulled out to the rear.
I found all this info and more in this other thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=49017
which was when this console originally came to market and the fine folks here at tdiclub were working to figure out the process of what it took to retrofit the older MK4s.
Hopefully this helps someone understand what all the pieces are and gets them on their way to ordering up some cup holder goodness.
posterChild
Ventectomy/5 Brake Light Mod/ScanGuage II/Center Console Cupholders
posterChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 18:19   #75
cd2573
Veteran Member

how can I get this plate off to screw in the two back screws ?
cd2573 is offline   Reply With Quote