old gold

TDI
2009 Jetta

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is wired up wrong.

The big black wire is from the alternator, and should go to the far left connection. The second connection is the power steering, which is mistakingly placed in the first connection's slot.

So all your car's electrical load was being fused by only an 80A bridge, no wonder it blew.

You can SEE the size difference of the wire holder in your pic. Pretty obvious.

This is a slightly older model, but same basic arrangement:

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The wiring diagrams are available from alldatadiy (which I found useful) but are spread over a couple sheets and are pretty cryptic.

this is from my early 2009 TDI. As Oilhammer pointed out, the first wire on the left is the large black one from the generator

yours must be a little later, and has all these fuses in a single module.

https://www.vwpartscenter.net/oem-parts/volkswagen-main-fuse-1k0937629a/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9ZnVzZS1hbmQtcmVsYXkmaT05MjgxMTkwNSZyPTcmYT12b2xrc3dhZ2VuJm89amV0dGEmeT0yMDEwJnQ9dGRpJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1kaWVzZWw%3D

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, the later cars have a fuse strip where all the fuse links are part of one bar. Lots of cars are like that now.

The pic I showed is of a 2007 2.5L car (hence the lack of auxiliary heater and glow plug fuses ;) ).

old gold

TDI
2009 Jetta
Thanks that totally makes sense.
I guess the VW Master technician who installed my engine made a little mistake.

Before I replaced the $40 fuse (the first time) I numbered the cables to be sure that were reinstalled "correctly".
I just installed the new fuse assembly with the black alternator wire in the 200 Amp slot.
Thanks again!

oilhammer

TDI
You are welcome. Yeah, everybody makes mistakes, but that seems like a dumb one... I'd be ashamed of that, but it happens. At least no major harm happened.

Basically what was happening was your 120A alternator, when required to crank out some juice to cover some loads, was only able to supply 80A before that fuse blew.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Fuse blocks

One thing I do when I get a new car is to take close up photos of things like fuse blocks, so I have a baseline reference of the way things were before anyone messed with my car and when it was running ok.

Also great if you fulled a fuse and not sure where to put it back.
A lot of car fuseblocks have spaces where there is no fuse installed.

I'm glad someone was able to help you with your issue

Your camera is your friend before you take something apart!