www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 22nd, 2016, 11:48   #1
herk1225

Default Got the P0638 code last night

A little background. I have a 2011 JSW TDI, 130k miles and I plan on giving the car back probably by april/may of next year. I recently got the P2015 error and from all the reading online and on here, I can fix it with the bracket or just ignore it since it doesn't really affect performance.

And last night, I started the car and immediately got the flashing glow plug light. I was able to drive home without any of the symptoms others have described(unable to throttle, slow pickup, limp mode, engine shudder, etc.) It drove just fine. I pulled the ODB codes and got P0638

I did a lot of reading and watching quite a few youtube video, most suggest that I try to clean the throttle body actuator valve first and see. So this morning, I started the car and the flashing glow plug light went away on its own.

My question is should I worry about this or is it just a dirty valve and it went away on its own. I certainly don't want to spend $1000 bucks getting this fixed since I am only going to keep the car for 4 or 5 more months.

I can still attempt to clean the valve but I am not so sure about taking the throttle body actuator off to clean it.

Any suggestions or recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
herk1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 15:27   #2
herk1225

quick update. The flashing glow plug light came back after starting it warm. And it went away again after sitting in the cold overnight this morning. And when I started it again this afternoon, it came back. So looks when the dirt/gunk is cold, it doesn't trigger the sensors.

I'll attempt to clean it tomorrow and see.
herk1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 20:43   #3
samtem

TDI(s): Golf 2011

Oh man, any updates on this one?

Having the same exact problem right now, but naturally don't want to put any money into this thing. Any links for best youtube tutorials?

Killed the cars electrical the other night. Seemed fine this evening but about to drive a bit more and see how's it doing.

edit:
I have a 2011 golf tdi, 55K miles
samtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 14:57   #4
Willis81

I recently had this error code pop up. Initially it was just the CEL, then this morning the glow plug light was coming on, roughly once every 10-15 seconds. Almost missed it because it was so infrequent. Parked it while I was at the gym and when I came out the glow plug light was flashing, performance was poor, hesitation etc. I parked it and drove my other car to work. Most of the searching on this code indicates that cleaning the throttle valve might help (temporarily). Does anyone know if this is something that would be covered under the extended emissions warranty? I'll let the dealer take care of it if it's covered, but if it's definitely not covered then I won't even bother taking it in and I'll replace it myself and do the adaptation.
Willis81 is offline   Reply With Quote