www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 14th, 2019, 06:50   #1
Slurry Pumper
Veteran Member

Default intermittent Sirius Radio Reception

Hey all,

Has anyone ever had Sirius radio reception problems during cold weather? When I hop in the old Krautwagon Jetta V5.5 version (2010 Sedan) lately, the Sirius radio reception keeps getting dropped for around 15 minutes or so until the car is warmed up. I've always had Sirius radio since the day I rode away with the car some 8 years ago, and immediately notice that the reception for FM and AM are just a joke. Luckily for me, I like to listen to the music with out censorship or alteration of the artist's original intent, so it is Sirius radio or a CD for me.

About 2 years ago, the factory radio just croaked on me, so I replaced the unit with an Alpine HD149BT because I like how all the controls where actual buttons and not that touch screen bullsh*t that I believe is a safety hazard. Anyway, I don't think my problems are with the head unit because the radio will work flawlessly after the cabin gets warm enough.

Is there an antenna out there that I can upgrade to that will fit where the shark fin thing is? and does it actually work better?

No hole to big, no head to high, no fee too excessive!
Slurry Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 08:13   #2
Slurry Pumper
Veteran Member

Well I guess that there isn't an upgradable shark fin available. A little research into the system shows that like everything else, there are several pieces involved that could be the culprit. I bought a OEM shark fin antenna for my car that should be here by next Monday, but there are other possible problems with connector cables, and even some kind of electronic issues from the part that all of the antennas connect to which isn't the radio.

Most people agree that it is most likely the shark fin from years of corrosion taking place. We will see.

No hole to big, no head to high, no fee too excessive!
Slurry Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote