www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 2nd, 2019, 12:11   #1
ourvw

Default Never had this issue

Our 2011 TDI is sitting at 43k miles and has started to act funny, wife has noticed too. Seems to hiccup and flutter when just cruising along at any speed, not under acceleration. Almost acts like it's starved of fuel. Does this when it's colder out 40f and under or so it seems. I use Shell fuel and have switched to BP just in case but with no change. Have an appointment set up for next week to get the DSG service done since I was bad and waited 3k over for that. Any one have an idea?

Thanks so much!
ourvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2019, 14:04   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The tuners can make it run correctly.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 14:27   #3
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The tuners can make it run correctly.
What is it that causes this issue?

I've had it intermittently for a while now and just got the emissions recall done so won't get a tune until I've used up the extended warranty.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2019, 14:30   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

My gut feeling is they made the EGR duty cycle too aggressive. Perhaps also a bit more use of the throttle to force the EGR too. The tuners have already deciphered the "fix" software, so they could comment in much greater detail with far better perspective than I could.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 17:25   #5
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
My gut feeling is they made the EGR duty cycle too aggressive. Perhaps also a bit more use of the throttle to force the EGR too. The tuners have already deciphered the "fix" software, so they could comment in much greater detail with far better perspective than I could.
Thanks, your help has already offered valuable insight. I have a feeling something is up with my EGR as today I got a P0401 code. Methinks they are likely related, especially after the recent emissions fix.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 13:33   #6
Manbreathesdiesel

TDI(s): MK6 Golf M6
Fuel Economy: 5.3L/100

I have a 2011 TDI 6M as well. Iíve installed an aftermarket deck that pulls live engine data. Iím sitting roughly at 158000kms, and have had an issue with the car stuttering, feels like a misfire. Typically the EGT sits around 462 degrees, but since installing this deck, Iíve noticed the car does mini regens about every 5-10 minutes, egt climbs to 820 degrees. When itís doing the mini regen, if the engine isnít under load, the cars stutters and shakes violently. Iíve taken it to the dealer, they canít ďrecreate the issueĒ. I donít understand how they canít, cause it does it to me all the time. Theyíve replaced the lpfp, inter cooler and EGR valve and nothing has worked. VW Canada is saying itís normal operation but I refuse to believe that.
Does this sound like your issue?
Manbreathesdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 23:26   #7
Wilkins
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.6/5.6 - 5.3/6.7

I occasionally get a hiccup when the NOx ‘mini regen’ Starts or stops. I was getting these regularly before the fix, then my low pressure EGR exhaust flap decided to stick open. I left it that way for 9 months and didn’t get any hiccups. With the fix a new exhaust flap was installed and for the first couple of months the mini regen was very smooth.

Lately I’ve had a few hiccups. Maybe it’s related to colder weather and either a sluggish flap or the engine taking longer to warm up? Overall I think the car runs better post fix although there is a definite loss of lower rpm power and in town fuel consumption is up.
2005 Jetta Wagon: Evo skid plate, Kerma Tune, Moog VR6 front springs, Koni Reds, Jeff's HID's, Upgraded door switches!. MKVI: Containflo+Pureflo, Rear Tiggy springs and B6 Billies, Xenon w LED, AFS, 087T BCM, RCD330plus.
Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 17:56   #8
Manbreathesdiesel

TDI(s): MK6 Golf M6
Fuel Economy: 5.3L/100

Since my last post my car threw a P0451 code. Emissions pressure sensor. With this code I was getting roughly 20-25% better fuel economy �� took it to the dealer, they replaced the faulty sensor the next day, car hasn’t had hiccups since. But I’ve noticed fuel consumption has gone back up.
Manbreathesdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 14:40   #9
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

I have noticed the occasional hiccup as well. More so in hot weather though.

I think Oil Hammer is spot on.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote