MIL Emissions Workshop???

The_KGB

TDI
Passat Wagon TDI, 2004, Black/Beige Leather
Ok, brand new 2004 Passat Wagon TDI, the engine indicator light came on. I had gone under the hood and unscrewed the transmission fluid(?) cap. When I got in and started the car the little yellow engine light was on and the computer said EMISSIONS WORKSHOP, does anyone knwo what that means, could it be that just unscrewing the cap makes that light come on, do I need to have it reset?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That indicator is that car's version of the "check engine light". Perhaps you unscrewed something you shouldn't have. I don't think those cars have a transmission fluid cap. The most you'll find on almost any auto tranny is a dipstick, but on newer VW's, there isn't even that - it's sealed (although there is a threaded drain and fill cap on the side of the transmission itself). You must have unscrewed something else ...

You'll need a VAG-COM to find out the code and reset it, but on a vehicle that new, perhaps it's best to put everything back the way it was, bring it to the dealer, and innocently say "What's this?"

The_KGB

TDI
I'll have to chek the book to see what it was that I unscrewed, there are only 4-5 things that you can see on the engine, oil dipstick, oil filler, brake fluid, washer fluid, coolant overflow and the green cap that I unscrewed(that had a dipstick attached)
Thanks for the advice, I plan on taking it by tomorrow, I figured it had to be something with the cap, since it happened right after I did that. What can I say I am a newbie VW owner /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_KGB

TDI
They hooked it up to the computer and it was indicating a mass air flow sensor, they reset the light and it came back on, I am now driving a Red Ford F150 pick up truck. I hope they can get it fixed today and that it is not somehting that they have to order parts for assuming that parts for this car are going to take a while to get since it just got released. Anyone have any ideas as to what the sensor means?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Oh boy ... Search the forums for MAF sensor and be prepared to read for days ... Hopefully it was an electrical connector that wasn't plugged in right, as opposed to an ominous sign of things to come ...

The_KGB

TDI
Well my new car has been in the shop since yesterday (monday). I picked it up from the dealership, brand new on Saturday. The yellow engine light came on, the initial test showed a problem with the Mass Air Flow Sensor. They wanted to keep it overnigt so they could cold start it in the morning. There was a power outage this morning so they didnt get to it this afternoon. Subsequest computer tests now revealed a new code having to do with the glow plugs. Service manager stated that when a problem goes over their head, they contact tech support at corporate. (at least he was honest), since the car is so new, they dont have the technical data in their computers, so they are walking through the problems step by step. Got an update a few minutes ago that they are having to replace the glow plugs. Nobody knows why, they were just told to do it. The parts were ordered and he said it would be Thrusday before they got there. Then he will call me that afternoon with an update. So the dealership will now have my car longer than I have. I am glad they are trying to fix the problem, I wish they could tell me what happened considering it had 13 miles on it when I picked it up and 130 when I dropped it off. This is incredibly frustrating but I do know they are trying to fix the problem. I just really hope I am not starting to smell a lemon. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif